Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
One word...rain.
Less rain amount in SEA than east coast USA (and certainly more than droughtful SoCal), but more gray rainy (mostly light) number of days.
Given the likely trend that SoCal is getting increasingly hotter and more humid, WA is the new CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SR View Post
Do you know what city yet? It's a beautiful area. Traffic is going to be worse than here so I would definitely recommend living where you work. The culture won't shock you as much as the weather will.
Moderate traffic, worse than SD, though SD getting increasingly worse, though better than the big cities like LA, NY as well as DC, ATL, BO

Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
One thing you need to beware of is that people here especially in certain areas of Seattle city limits are CRAZY liberals I mean they are nice but if you not pretty far left you may not like it. It's humid and damp. You might have to worry about mold. Traffic is bad on the freeways. I haven't been to San Diego but in la it felt like everyone wanted to work and then have fun. In Seattle it's like everybody wants to just read their books and be introverted. BUT there are some pretty cool areas of Seattle and the metro where people are normal and like to have fun I'm just doing some generalizations for you. Will you be moving to Seattle city limits or a suburb? I'll be able to tell you more if you tell me where you will be moving to.
Moss issues.
The liberals are not crazy there versus other places. What is crazy are the gun-nutzo's and not-even-in-their-own-self-interests-trumpf(ukker)-fascist supporters

Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
NickyStixx, it sounds like you have a good job opportunity in Seattle. Congratulations!

If you've always lived in San Diego County, then experiencing another part of the country will broaden your horizons, especially while you are in your 20s.

Sure, you'll miss your family and friends here, but technology makes it easy to keep in touch, and it's a short flight when you or they want to visit in person. Before you know it, you'll make new friends in Seattle. As Bloom says, people are people where ever you go.

Yes, it rains more in Seattle and the winters will be colder. But, you won't melt in the rain or be locked inside all the time. You'll learn to dress appropriately for the weather so you can keep doing stuff outdoors (and you'll have so many new and beautiful outdoor places to explore within a few hours of Seattle!).

In short, go for it. It's normal to feel a little scared of major changes like this, but if you go into it with an open mind and a sense of adventure, years from now, you will be glad you took a chance and tried something new. Have a GREAT time, and best wishes!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:06 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Meh. People are people. I lived in Boston and New York too.
Slightly different. Talking with and being talked to are too different things. East Coasters don't seem to have a filter.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Slightly different. Talking with and being talked to are too different things. East Coasters don't seem to have a filter.
Meh. False generalization and specification.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I moved from the Bay Area to Seattle in part because I thought it would be nice to have some variety in the weather, compared to almost constant sunshine. Well, I got variety in the weather, but it leans more toward grey much of the time. Also, it's important to be aware that in winter, the days are very short, so you go to work in the dark, and you come home at 5 pm in the dark. It's dark by 4:30. How to cope: get full-spectrum lightbulbs for your place, and spend as much time as possible outside in the winter, skiing, snowboarding, and enjoying what daylight there is.

Introverts/hard to make friends--check! However, the suburbs to the north and south, where you'll be, are a bit friendlier. How to cope: join clubs and group activities. Join the hiking club: the Mountaineers (they host social events in winter), attend travel seminars at REI Co-op, volunteer for Habitat For Humanity or an enviro org or whatever turns you on, and you'll meet people who share your interests. Seattle Parks Dept. offers martial arts classes, African music classes, has drama groups, organized co-ed soccer leagues, all kinds of things. Check it out.

Rain/wet mist/low grey clouds--check! The upside: no water shortage (!!), except some summers, which are getting drier. The grey makes you really appreciate the gloriously sunny days!

You have to take more initiative to plan your own recreation: get involved in rowing or canoe clubs, hiking as previously mentioned, sailing, if you're into gardening, get involved in a community P-patch program if your community has one & grow your own veggies. This is what people do, this is how one enjoys the NW.

Music scene--you're perfect for it! Congrats, you scored in one area. For me, it sucked, but for you, it's tailor-made!

Traffic: stick to public transit when you can. If you don't have a long distance to go, it can be faster by late afternoon to stay OFF the freeways and take surface streets. There are some old arterials that people used in the days before the freeways that are very efficient for getting around, once you learn what/where they are.

Winters: it usually only snows for a couple of days each winter, snow rarely sticks, but it jerks around traffic during that time. Proceed with utmost caution during that one week. Otherwise, it's cold and damp, but far from North Dakota.

Outdoor swimming: in the lakes only, not in Puget Sound (temps in the 40's ). Get an A/C unit for your bedroom, in case there's a heat wave in the summer (they're more common these days, but everyone pretends A/C isn't needed). Diving/marine life: check! In spades! But you'll need a wet suit, of course. Very rich marine environment. Ck out Burien to live S. of town: it has a waterfront, upgraded downtown, kind of an up-and-coming area from what I understand.

Come prepared to enjoy what the area does offer, and you'll be less likely to notice what it doesn't offer. It's not San Diego. It's a long way from California. You have been warned.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-25-2016 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,517 times
Well since your looking at auburn/ area you won't have the liberal crazy ness your more into "country" area. You'll see more trucks and it feels a little more redneck ish but nothing too bad threw the whole area. There's also lots of poverty and immigrants. Once you go east a while it become more upscale with better quality of people. 167 if the main freeway for that area and it follows typical traffic patterns north in the morning to Seattle and Bellevue and south in the afternoon. It's typical traffic. You can carpool or pay a toll to get out of the traffic but I'm not sure if it actually works. Bonney lake is a nice area. I'm thinking you would like the Bonney lake area. From what you said you like it sounds like Bonney lake would be good. You seem to like a little more of the "country ish things". I think that would be a good area for you guys. Especially if you wanted to have a family. Tacoma a mid sized city would be close by.

What does your wife do? Do you want To live in Seattle city limits or the suburbs? The Seattle city limits are pretty introverted professional "hippies". Once you leave you can do to certain areas that are different. From what you said you like look at the southern areas but go east. Then there is sorta a problem cause it's hard to get the freeways, there's not a lot of freeway access out there.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:41 PM

320 posts, read 513,288 times
I moved here from DC 2 years ago. Weather is not as bad as you've heard (though it will be much more grey than where you're from). Traffic is bad, but if you live and work in/around Renton, you'll be OK. The "seattle freeze" is basically non existent, especially with all the people relocating here from elsewhere.

You'll be fine.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 PM

64 posts, read 64,230 times
Ruth4Truth is as accurate as i can explain as well.

I, too, came from San diego (Escondido) two years ago. This most recent winter as tough. It was dark, grey, wet a long time. The wind can get bad sometimes also. You definitely need to spend time outside when you can.

The nice sunny days, though, are better than san diego IMO. The green combined with the blue skies and sunshine can't be beaten anywhere in san diego. I was never much of a beach goer when i lived there so i do not miss that.

Plenty of outdoor activities here also. The food is good ( i think i've gained 20 lbs since i have been here) and the coffee is great. If you like IPA then the beer is good too. San Diego beer scene is still the best.

i live in west seattle and take the bus to work downtown. I live 11 miles from work and by car it takes 40 minutes at least. When i lived in san diego i worked in mission valley and drove 35 minutes to work which was about 30 miles. The traffic here is absolutely horrendous - all of the time.

Woodinville is the temecula up here. Great wines, distilleries and breweries.

This place is awesome. I would't want to leave except we had a baby and all of our family is still in San Diego - so that's hard. My wife wants to move back only for that reason. I love my job so i cannot leave it yet.

Come, check it out, if you don't love it then you're not committed. The housing market is crazy as everywhere else but i would imagine you would rent first.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area