Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:09 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
wow I never knew that. I live in Auburn by the Green river Comm college and its extremely laid back. I really dont understand where people get this idea that Kent/Auburn is really that bad.

Any specific examples of the type of crime that goes on here mostly which gives that reputation maybe?
That's what I meant. Once your out of the valley and a little east it's a GREAT area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 AM

368 posts, read 695,732 times
When I moved here people talked poorly about West Seattle, of course with the exception of Alki. Now most of these people couldn't afford to live in West Seattle. You have to take people's perceptions with a grain of salt. And in terms of crime, it can happen anywhere. Just cause you live on Queen Anne in a million dollar plus home doesn't mean you won't get burglarized.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Kent and Auburn have bad reputations because people paint with broad brushes. Sure, there are parts of downtown Kent that are less than savory( and other parts of downtown Kent that are perfectly nice), so people get it into their heads that the entire city is bad or dangerous. Also, there's a little covert racism going on. If an out of towner sees three black people walking together, it must be a gang infested place. For the most part, there's nothing especially scary or dangerous about Kent or Auburn, except for a few small parts.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:02 PM

128 posts, read 148,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Kent and Auburn have bad reputations because people paint with broad brushes. Sure, there are parts of downtown Kent that are less than savory( and other parts of downtown Kent that are perfectly nice), so people get it into their heads that the entire city is bad or dangerous. Also, there's a little covert racism going on. If an out of towner sees three black people walking together, it must be a gang infested place. For the most part, there's nothing especially scary or dangerous about Kent or Auburn, except for a few small parts.
yea thats true, alot of judgmental people just like to jump to conclusions. What are some areas you would consider dangerous in Kent and Auburn? Mostly the Valley and downtown areas?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:02 AM

45 posts, read 45,217 times
Kent being an unsafe area is a myth. I've lived in Kent nearly a decade and I really like it. All my neighbors are really nice and my kids attend Panther Lake Elementary which is a good school. There are many affordable daycare facilities in the area and the commute to either Seattle or Bellevue is not too bad because you aren't locked to a limited number of routes. There are a lot of good manufacturing jobs in the area too and Amazon recently opened up a distribution center here.

Downtown Kent is a vibrant, growing area with great charm. We often gather there during city events which are hosted pretty regularly. The area has a good selection of retail stores that cater to a lot of interests, especially if you like to build things. Finding a steelyard, lumber yard or an expert to rebuild a DC motor or an old carburetor will not be a problem. I'm very much into DIY so having such stores around me has proven to be a godsend.

Racial diversity is very strong and everyone gets along. My neighborhood has a mix of white, asian, hispanic and black residents. It's a great environment especially for children as they can grow up integrated and be colorblind adults.

My wife and I combined make well over six figures and we could easily afford Bellevue or the nicer neighborhoods in Seattle but we would still rather live in Kent because it's a much better value and the populace isn't pretentious. Also, I've had dealings with the City of Kent on occasion and I must say they're super friendly and helpful which I find quite refreshing.

Kent for life!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,281 times
RE: Auburn - My chainsaw was stolen (from Redmond) and sold to a pawnshop in downtown Auburn. The nearby Tribal Police were able to show up to the pawn shop well before the Auburn city police. What does that tell you? Auburn is depending on an Indian Reservation to help them? Auburn has their own police department. Musta been a sale at the donut shop that day.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Skopper, I am sorry for your loss, that sucks. That being said, with chainsaws, Redmond (you could weave in some Microsoft jokes) tribal police, pawn shops, Auburn and doughnut shops, you could almost make that into a movie.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:39 PM

57 posts, read 50,073 times
I cannot find the posts people wrote me when I was planning to move to Auburn. They mentioned some good places to eat in SE. One was a good deli and I am craving me a good sandwich.

How do I find my own posts?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eselpee View Post
I cannot find the posts people wrote me when I was planning to move to Auburn. They mentioned some good places to eat in SE. One was a good deli and I am craving me a good sandwich.

How do I find my own posts?
The thread was called " Living in Auburn", dated around September 1st( or a day or two earlier), and the deli(I think) is the Russian deli called the Marvel.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:41 PM

57 posts, read 50,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The thread was called " Living in Auburn", dated around September 1st( or a day or two earlier), and the deli(I think) is the Russian deli called the Marvel.
Many thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area