Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
1. Of course, I took the quiz on findyourplace.com, and Seattle topped my results list, so that may be telling.
2. I guess if you could fill me in on some neighborhoods in the area that may be reasonably priced/okay for fams (we'll obviously rent to start), that would be very helpful. Thanks.
1. You're welcome! :-)

2. For rentals in and around Seattle, this site called NWSource combines the Classifieds of the two leading newspapers in the area:
http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/
When you open that site, you'll see a map. If you click on "Seattle" on the map, that will open a map with "North" and "Downtown and Central". Possible neighborhoods within short, direct commuting distances by bus from UW: Capitol Hill ("Downtown"), University District, Ravenna, Green Lake, Fremont, Wallingford (all in "North").

You'll be able to get an idea of prices and amount of space available.

You might also want to check on Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 23,558 times
Oldie,

Well, you sound like a good fit for Seattle (or Portland). Since you mention the Red Sox, I should note there are a HUGE number of New England expats out here, and they all show up to the games here against the Mariners. I go to almost all of the games. It's funny, but the Red Sox fans probably outnumber Mariners fans. So you don't TOTALLY have to give up New England sports, although if you're a hockey fan like me then you are out of luck.

Seattle is a great place for young families. While there are fewer students and 20-something singles, Seattle definitely has more young families (at least in and around the city) than Boston. I really like that. There's also a lot of great stuff to do here with kids. My boy loves to go to the Pike Place Market, where we do lots of our grocery shopping (yes, it's not just a tourist trap). We go to the Ballard fish locks, right in the city, and watch the Salmon running, take walks around Green Lake park. We go to our neighborhood's farmer's market in the summer (farmers markets are really big out here). On weekends, we go hiking in the mountains or take the ferry to Bainbridge or Whidbey, and hang out on the islands. It's just a great place for young kids with endless things to do. Trust me, you and they will love it.

Regarding neighborhoods: I am guessing that your wife may match for a residency at Childrens' Hospital, right? Great program. If that's the place, then you have a number of options. Close by are the University District, Ravenna, Capitol Hill, and Wallingford. The U District has lots of apartments--and students--but I don't honestly think it's one of the better neighborhoods in Seattle. Capitol Hill is, I think, a little nicer but there are good parts and some grittier parts--though Seattle really doesn't have any neighborhoods that are bad or unsafe, I would say. Ravenna is great. Wallingford is pretty urban, popular, safe, but densely populated and maybe not quite as kid-friendly. If you are willing to consider neighborhoods a little farther afield, I would suggest Ballard, which is full of young families and has lots of character (it's the old Scandinavian neighborhood). I LOVE the area we live in which is Mount Baker/Lakewood/Seward Park, but there are fewer rentals, probably. Madrona and Leschi are also great neighborhoods that you should look at, but also have fewer rentals. I would avoid Queen Anne and Belltown--too expensive and/or not for kids. West Seattle is ideal, but maybe too far a commute. Finally, if you consider the Eastside, then Kirkland is definitely the place to live. I lived there briefly when I moved here and loved it. The rest of the Eastside is pretty bland--kind of the Pacific Northwest version of Orange County. Skinny blond women with white gloves driving Hummers, har har. Seattleites and Eastsiders are like oil and water

If you can swing it, if you move here, I would suggest that you come out, rent a car, and just spend a couple of days driving and walking around the different neighborhoods. You can get a real good feel for them pretty quickly, I think. Like Boston, Seattle is a city of neighborhoods, so each one has its own charms and characteristics. The last, sort of random thing I would add is, if possible, think of finiding a place near a park. Seattle is chock-full of great parks--it's a source of pride here--and you will be glad to have one nearby for you and your kids if you can arrange it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area