Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM

67 posts, read 339,391 times

Advertisements

We moved to Seattle in January of this year. I'm noticing that I tend to sleep a lot here. In San Diego, I could get by on 6 hours of sleep each night, here in Seattle, I seem to need at least 8 to 10 hours of sleep each night! The same thing was happening to my husband while he was waiting to start work here. Did anyone else notice that they were sleeping more when they moved here? It's sort of bizarre to me. I'm taking vitamins and also exercising, but I still need a lot of sleep!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,100,717 times
That happens to a lot of people when they move anywhere. You've surprised your bodies and minds -- by changing jobs, air, climate, homes, perhaps also food, and certainly availability of friends, and you're spending a lot of the energy of your minds learning a bunch of new information. You're probably just adjusting, and your bodies are telling you they need more rest. Enjoy!! Imagine how healthy you will feel when summer comes!! :-)

Old 02-20-2008, 06:57 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDiva View Post
We moved to Seattle in January of this year. I'm noticing that I tend to sleep a lot here. In San Diego, I could get by on 6 hours of sleep each night, here in Seattle, I seem to need at least 8 to 10 hours of sleep each night! The same thing was happening to my husband while he was waiting to start work here. Did anyone else notice that they were sleeping more when they moved here? It's sort of bizarre to me. I'm taking vitamins and also exercising, but I still need a lot of sleep!

We have been here and sleep alot too in the grey months. But trust me when those 3 glorious months come this summer and it is light out til 10pm, you be getting less sleep!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,640 times
Quote:
It is like this for me as well..I find myself sleeping for almost 12 hours! I hate it..haha.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,658 times
*yawn* ever since i moved from NW Arkansas(which is sunny most of the time!) to Seattle i feel tired like all the time....i love the beautiful Seattle scenery but man i miss the sun!!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,183 times
I'm sure if someone took my husband and kids away - I'd be getting over 12 hours of sleep

But that's how I slept in Calif too, so I've not seen a change in my sleep patterns

Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 AM

297 posts, read 1,034,976 times
I sleep 6 hours (if I'm lucky). I think I slept about that much in California too. Those of you who can just lay around in bed all day are very lucky as alot of us are constantly working.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 42,012 times
Quote:

I moved here three years ago and I STILL sleep a lot. It's kind of gross, lol. For me, it's because, during the winter months, the sun doesn't come out until like 8am and it goes down around 3pm. It's just so DARK all the time, it kind of messes up my mind.

Dark outside means sleep to my body, so I go to bed earlier.

I guess it's a trade-off, though, since the sun doesn't set until like 9pm during summer.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 40,287 times
I know what you mean. I experienced the same type thing after I moved to Seattle. I started to feel like a hibernating bear after awhile and would have to force myself to get up.

How do I say this delicately? What you, me, and many of us who have relocated to Seattle have/are experiencing is nothing short of S.A.D. symptoms; Seasonal Affective Disorder- it is real and it is treatable. Educate yourself and get treatment. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: