Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times

Advertisements

Another zombie thread. Who's digging into the archives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:12 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
I'd say traffic is worse than the grey. You have to deal with traffic every day no matter what.
Weather is worse than traffic.

Weather: You have to deal with it 7 days a week.
Traffic: You have to deal with it only 5 days a week, and on the other two days it isn't as bad.

Weather: There are no real fixes, just things to make it more tolerable.
Traffic: You could move closer to your job, or leave earlier or later than rush hour.

(on a larger scale)
Weather: Can't really be controlled with modern science. Even if we could, there would be controversy over the ethics of playing God
Traffic: Could be controlled if we elected the right government.

Weather: Causes depression and anger.
Traffic: Just causes anger. Never really causes depression.

Weather: Makes traffic worse.
Traffic: Actually makes the weather here better. More global warming = Jet stream goes off of us = less clouds/rain. One of my friends who is a meteorology major told me this, and he is also an intern at NWS.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
More global warming = Jet stream goes off of us = less clouds/rain. One of my friends who is a meteorology major told me this, and he is also an intern at NWS.
Hooray! Three cheers for global warming!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:33 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Houston and Boston get twice as much rain than Seattle.....

its just more consistent here. not that many downpours from what I can see

Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

It's mostly the gray that gets to us. I wouldn't care if it rained 200" a year if it condensed it all into 20-30 minutes a day and then cleared up, like it does in most other places.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM

300 posts, read 1,210,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Okay - I'm one of the Seattle people who is leaving.

Sure if you are used to cold snowy winters the mild weather will seem great - but what you don't get is it's ALL YEAR LONG

There is no season change - there isn't a warmth that comes when Spring arrives...it's just blah all year long - EXCEPT in about Mid July when it gets near 70 degrees for about 6 weeks - then it's back to the gloom.

It's the Grey Gloom that gets everyone, and it's MOIST here. It's not rainy. I like rain, it's just wet air and wet everything -- constant grey and mist. LITERALLY CONSTANT GREY! If it snows where you are - doesn't it get sunny after the storm? Well it doesn't here! JUST GREY - from what I would say Oct through June. and it never leaves the same temperature - it's always between 40 or 60 (and 60 is rare!!!)

If you have no kids maybe it's better
It's nicer here than 6 weeks. It's been great since mid-June here. July couldn't have been nicer, and August is fine.

I moved from Dallas (where it's sunny constantly) but unlivably hot. I have really enjoyed the weather here despite having issues with SAD even in Dallas winters (I'm solar powered). It is overcast a lot, but it's usually the 'chunky' kind of clouds and not a gray pall (except in June, but it burns off in the afternoon).

Here's the best thing about Seattle... if the clouds are killing you softly, it's really easy to get away from them. You do need to learn about the convergence zones and the rain shadow if you want to avoid the grey as much as possible. You can also always drive over the pass (usually in the winter) and get away from the grey for the weekend or up to the San Juans. You have options.

Here, read this.

What Is The Olympic Rain Shadow? | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | F.A.Q.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
It's mostly the gray that gets to us. I wouldn't care if it rained 200" a year if it condensed it all into 20-30 minutes a day and then cleared up, like it does in most other places.
Most other places in the tropics.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Some of us hate where we live (Western Washington) but love who we live with (in my case, my husband) so we can't move unless and until that person moves or until we can't stand it here any more. Be a little generous, would you?

Although I would seriously love to move yesterday, my husband wouldn't, so one of the things I spend my time doing is visiting this board and giving my opinions as honestly as possible as to what I have learned since I moved here in 1993. There are those of us who see the great things Washington State has to offer but we personally just can't love this state because of the things we have found difficult here; it's a very personal thing.

Not every place is meant for everyone, but it is a great idea for anyone thinking about moving to be advised as best as possible as to what each of us has experienced in a particular area as well as where we came from originally. It helps folks make a better, more informed decision about moving here, which is what most people are looking for when they visit this site. If you want everyone who visits this board to say everything is wonderful, then you're on the wrong board.

Perfect. You could replace weather with XYZ and you'll know exactly why I wanted to get out Dallas.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

Seattle gets as much rain (almost exactly) as Dallas.

It's the clouds, not the rain.

Another thing to factor in about Seattle is the latitude. You're pretty far north, so the days are really long in the summer (you get to enjoy the evenings for a loooong time) but really short in the winter.

So, you get the most sun when it's nice, and least sun when it's crappy anyhow.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
So, you get the most sun when it's nice, and least sun when it's crappy anyhow.
It varies so much throughout the year though that it can, and does completely screw with people. In most other places, the days do vary in length, but the percentage of the time it's sunny is pretty much the same, and the change in day length is not nearly as much as Seattle's.

And overall, it is far less sunny here than other places. Look at City-Data's chart for sunshine in Seattle. Even in the summer we get less sun than other places. So much less that even the days being longer here than in other places during the summer wouldn't make up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area