Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 01:18 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,903,844 times

Advertisements

In July 2015 I moved to Seattle all alone from the Los Angeles,CA area. Its one of the best decisions I ever made. In Northgate Seattle I can actually afford my own apartment for $1200 a month. In the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles where I grew up I can barely rent a room for $1200 a month.

Here in Seattle I have met great friends. In the LA area the only people I knew where people who used me for money.

Some of my former LA friends who are money users are trying to convince me to move back to LA and spend $2,000 a month for a one bedroom apartment which I can't afford.

My only complaint about living in Seattle is I don't own a car here and rely on King County Metro as well as uber.lyft.

After my northgate seattle apartment lease expired in August 2016 I renewed the lease for another year which is August 2017.

I'm just hoping that Northgate Seattle in the next few years doesn't become $2,000 a month for a onebedroom apartment or $600,000 for a 2 bedroom condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 01:22 AM

I can afford up to $1300 a month for a one bedroom apartment or $300,000 for a condo.

The one bedroom apartment in northgate seattle that I pay $1200 a month for is a place that I'm very happy living in.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:42 AM

21,988 posts, read 15,608,858 times
Glad things are working out but you should anticipate that rental costs will go up. Why not save up for the downpayment on a condo? If you like the area and plan on staying, it might be a good idea. Our first rental was in Bellevue and we were paying $1200. in 1994. Not sure how much it would rent for now but that house has literally tripled in value since then.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Glad things are working out but you should anticipate that rental costs will go up. Why not save up for the downpayment on a condo? If you like the area and plan on staying, it might be a good idea. Our first rental was in Bellevue and we were paying $1200. in 1994. Not sure how much it would rent for now but that house has literally tripled in value since then.
Ofcoarse rental costs will go up.
When my lease expires in august 2017 i can consider buying a condo.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:00 AM

8,154 posts, read 8,201,692 times
Hey man, glad you are loving Seattle. Was it a year ago I showed you that Northgate condo? Time flies, amazing!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,182,920 times
Lol at thinking Seattle is cheaper than LA in 2016.

(See locations)

Anything worth living in in Seattle will be around $2k+, Northgate is a dump with outrageous property crime and car theft, the equivalent in LA would be the same price or less.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:39 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,287,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't think that is necessarily the case, especially in North Seattle - Northgate, Lake City, north Greenwood, and Bitter/Haller Lake, all of which have a good supply of older "non-luxury" apartments) - where the threat of continuing Boeing layoffs has softened demand, in my opinion. Most new luxury apartments are being added further south (Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, Roosevelt, U District, etc.). it seems to me that rents have leveled off in those areas. Personally, I would never pay $800 extra just to have marble counter-tops, stainless steel appliances, and in-unit laundry.

Luxury, non-luxury, and condo apartments are really separate market segments. The City during the last "conversion fever" (just prior to the Crash) made it much more difficult to convert apartments to condos.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:40 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,287,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Anything worth living in in Seattle will be around $2k+, Northgate is a dump with outrageous property crime and car theft, the equivalent in LA would be the same price or less.
This is a gross exaggeration.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hey man, glad you are loving Seattle. Was it a year ago I showed you that Northgate condo? Time flies, amazing!
It was in December 2015 you showed me that condo.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:32 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,319,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Lol at thinking Seattle is cheaper than LA in 2016.

(See locations)

I don't know about property crime to houses, but I lived in an apartment near the mall, and felt pretty safe. I would go for walks around the neighborhood by myself in the evenings, and never had problems. I had more issues in White Center and the Central District.

But yeah, a lot of transplants don't realize how crummy Seattle looks once you get further away from the center of the city or the select high value neighborhoods in particular suburbs. South King Co and North Snohimish County overall looked like crapshacks to me (generalization).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: