Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,984 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am planning a move to Seattle from Hawaii and have little knowledge of the area. I am currently applying for MACJ program at Seattle University to pursue my Masters degree. After much consideration, I've decided to do the move on my own. Even if I do not get into the program, I am still planning to move up Dec/Jan. I've looked for jobs and housing online, but it's super frustrating because I do not know where to start. I currently have my bachelors in Justice Administration and I work two jobs. I have no doubt that I will do fine up there. I just need to connect with people that know the area and that are trustworthy because I am a female, 25 year old and doing it on my own. I've tried craigslist, but I am not entirely comfortable with the apartment/room search. So it would be super cool to make a friend or two who can share some advice as far as jobs and places to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 5,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taybezzie91 View Post
Hey all, I am planning a move to Seattle from Hawaii and have little knowledge of the area. I am currently applying for MACJ program at Seattle University to pursue my Masters degree. After much consideration, I've decided to do the move on my own. Even if I do not get into the program, I am still planning to move up Dec/Jan. I've looked for jobs and housing online, but it's super frustrating because I do not know where to start. I currently have my bachelors in Justice Administration and I work two jobs. I have no doubt that I will do fine up there. I just need to connect with people that know the area and that are trustworthy because I am a female, 25 year old and doing it on my own. I've tried craigslist, but I am not entirely comfortable with the apartment/room search. So it would be super cool to make a friend or two who can share some advice as far as jobs and places to stay.
Aloha, I'm from Maui and am currently living 3 hours outside of Seattle, going to nursing school. I'm 31 years old, and will be moving to Seattle in 2 years (after I graduate.) My sister, who's a year younger than me, is actually moving back to Seattle in a few months after living in SD for a little while...she was born and raised on Maui too, and has actually lived in Seattle through the college years and up until last year. She misses it so much so she's moving back! I personally don't know a whole lot about the apartment/job search situation, but just wanted to touch base with you. It's definitely gonna be a great change for you! Seattle is such a beautiful, green city...I love all the water that surrounds it. People always link Seattle with the gray skies, and even though it is gloomy pretty often, it is still beautiful and fun! There is ALWAYS something to do and I have met so many nice and friendly people there. There are a lot of people from Hawaii so that's always nice too. Are you wanting to live in the city, like in close proximity to downtown? If you do, Queen Anne is absolutely adorable, and safe. It is on the expensive side, but you could find a room in a house with other people around our age. That's what my sister has always done. Ballard is always a cool little town. Capitol Hill is funky, and lots of different people. It's more like the early 20's, teenage scene. West Seattle is nice too.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:33 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Great people at Bobby's Hawaiian in Lynnwood, you might want to connect! Bobby's Hawaiian Restaurant

Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 PM

50 posts, read 45,655 times
You found a great resource already here on the forum. We moved here late Jan and I was able to gain alot of info on here. I would say ignore the negative comments and do not let that enter your mind for your trip. WA state is amazing and we love it. I lived in Hawaii for almost 5 years. Come in with a positve mind set and get out and explore as much as possible and you will be fine. You will love it here!

Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 PM

278 posts, read 336,370 times
Welcome

Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 721 times
Hey, I live on the Eastside of Seattle, aka the not-quite uppity suburbs of Redmond (Bellevue has a mall). I have friends who live in North Seattle as well (Ballard area), been hear 6 years now. Traffic is HELL. Avoid the I-5 and 405 corridor.

Last edited by HaleyBoom; 09-08-2016 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: My commute is lucky.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:49 AM

5 posts, read 3,312 times
Other than City-Data, which is a great resource for newcomers to the area, I'd suggest you look at StreetAdvisor, which will help you pick a good neighborhood to move into, and this handy guide to moving into the city. With these two things in hand, I had all the information I needed to integrate and adapt quickly to fast-paced Seattle life. And coffee.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanimaui View Post
Aloha, I'm from Maui and am currently living 3 hours outside of Seattle, going to nursing school. I'm 31 years old, and will be moving to Seattle in 2 years (after I graduate.) My sister, who's a year younger than me, is actually moving back to Seattle in a few months after living in SD for a little while...she was born and raised on Maui too, and has actually lived in Seattle through the college years and up until last year. She misses it so much so she's moving back! I personally don't know a whole lot about the apartment/job search situation, but just wanted to touch base with you. It's definitely gonna be a great change for you! Seattle is such a beautiful, green city...I love all the water that surrounds it. People always link Seattle with the gray skies, and even though it is gloomy pretty often, it is still beautiful and fun! There is ALWAYS something to do and I have met so many nice and friendly people there. There are a lot of people from Hawaii so that's always nice too. Are you wanting to live in the city, like in close proximity to downtown? If you do, Queen Anne is absolutely adorable, and safe. It is on the expensive side, but you could find a room in a house with other people around our age. That's what my sister has always done. Ballard is always a cool little town. Capitol Hill is funky, and lots of different people. It's more like the early 20's, teenage scene. West Seattle is nice too.
Thanks for your response. It is helpful get in touch with someone who knows the area and is from the islands. I've been doing my research and I am thinking that Tacoma may be a cheaper route. It is an hour away from Seattle. Anything thoughts?

Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Mitchell View Post
Other than City-Data, which is a great resource for newcomers to the area, I'd suggest you look at StreetAdvisor, which will help you pick a good neighborhood to move into, and this handy guide to moving into the city. With these two things in hand, I had all the information I needed to integrate and adapt quickly to fast-paced Seattle life. And coffee.
Thank you, everything helps!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,858 times
25 year old female here moved here back in June from Atlanta and I love it here. I live in Tacoma and I work in Seattle traffic sucks but doable for the lower cost of living in Seattle but will probably move to west Seattle when my lease is up. My pros for moving here is the landscape, great opportunities job wise, better pay then Atlanta, and it's so relax and such a variety of things to do if ur willing to venture out to see and do it. Down side ppl can't drive for ****, ****ing hate pesdestrians, ALOT of homelessness, it's sad really, and the native ppl here are super weird, everyone who I am friends with now are transplants like myself from all over. My piece of advice: if u want to move do it! I have no regrets. Go to apartment websites and find a job before you move. Have some money saved so u can manage it gets pretty expensive here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area