Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:35 PM

596 posts, read 820,812 times

Advertisements

Expose yourself to strangers. You will make friends in no time. Seattleites dig that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 PM

908 posts, read 961,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Learn to be okay with solitude. Friends are for the weak.
this made me laugh

Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
We just got here a few weeks ago (Eastside) so it's hard to say but quite honestly we are kind of in a season of nose to the grindstone so unfortunately haven't even had time to be concerned with it. However we just joined a church and that's where I met most friends at our last location.

If you're a guy check out the gyms around here. My gosh they are like 90% males at my gym and they are NOT shy.

If you have a dog, people are like obsessed with dogs in this state. They will openly come up to you and start chatting if you have one. Go to the dog park and you're bound to make a friend.

Try the meet-ups... I've never actually done this but I've heard good things.

I don't know because to be completely honest I don't really have time for making friends ... No but really I'm in school full time, a full time medical professional, a wife.... then wine and I guess family time on the weekends (I've been here a total of 3 weekends). I have a lot of friends just spread throughout the country and my method has almost consistently been the hands off, not trying to make a friend way. Familiarity breeds friendship type of deal.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:18 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Expose yourself to strangers. You will make friends in no time. Seattleites dig that sort of thing.
Unless it's indecent exposure.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:26 PM

75 posts, read 73,455 times
Why do you have to ever try to impress someone to know you. just move. Your better then that.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:31 PM

75 posts, read 73,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
We just got here a few weeks ago (Eastside) so it's hard to say but quite honestly we are kind of in a season of nose to the grindstone so unfortunately haven't even had time to be concerned with it. However we just joined a church and that's where I met most friends at our last location.

If you're a guy check out the gyms around here. My gosh they are like 90% males at my gym and they are NOT shy.

If you have a dog, people are like obsessed with dogs in this state. They will openly come up to you and start chatting if you have one. Go to the dog park and you're bound to make a friend.

Try the meet-ups... I've never actually done this but I've heard good things.

I don't know because to be completely honest I don't really have time for making friends ... No but really I'm in school full time, a full time medical professional, a wife.... then wine and I guess family time on the weekends (I've been here a total of 3 weekends). I have a lot of friends just spread throughout the country and my method has almost consistently been the hands off, not trying to make a friend way. Familiarity breeds friendship type of deal.
You had time to explain to this person you had no time.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 PM

332 posts, read 398,204 times
Do you have kids? I have found since my son has become older our social circle has been smaller and smaller. It was very easy to make and have lots of friends when he was younger for some reason. I have made 1 good friend from Meetups in the last 10 years. It is very difficult to make friends here. If you are single you have to make a real effort and not give up. Volunteer, take classes, find new people at your work, the most important things is being proactive here because people really do keep to themselves here and can be passive and insincere so grow a thick skin and be the first to ask people to do things with you.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Ways we've made friends:

-classes
-book club (my biggest, oldest circle of close friends - we all met online and somehow we all meshed really well. It's not even really a book club anymore, just a long-standing, tight circle of friends)
-friends we knew from other places who moved here
-friends of friends (this is the biggest circle of casual friends, and then good acquaintances whom I would feel comfortable inviting to my house)
-our realtor who sold our house (realtors are great at dinner parties, they can talk to anyone and always have interesting friends)
-work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: