Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:25 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
I take it you live in Bellevue and commute into the City?
No I live in Seattle (Seward Park) and work in Seattle (south Boeing Field) - that's a 20 minute commute ... it can some times take an hour just to drive from one Seattle neighborhood to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 04:45 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
A door-to-door time of 35 minutes, allowing for headway (gap/time between trains and buses) really means a 20 - 25 min. "wheels turning" commute at most, which REALLY reduces your geographic range. From the Westlake light rail/bus tunnel station to the federal courthouse is probably a five minute walk, so to get from home to station, wait a minute or three for the bus/train, then ride the train, I'd say 20 min. wheels turning is the maximum ride length. Changing buses or trains will be a deal killer. Even from Madison Park (one of my preferred in-city neighborhoods) the bus takes 18 minutes in the morning to get three blocks from 700 Stewart. Comparable times from farther out will be more.

Use Metro's trip planner - King County Metro Transit Trip Planning to play with public transport options.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:46 PM

400 posts, read 449,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
A door-to-door time of 35 minutes, allowing for headway (gap/time between trains and buses) really means a 20 - 25 min. "wheels turning" commute at most, which REALLY reduces your geographic range. From the Westlake light rail/bus tunnel station to the federal courthouse is probably a five minute walk, so to get from home to station, wait a minute or three for the bus/train, then ride the train, I'd say 20 min. wheels turning is the maximum ride length. Changing buses or trains will be a deal killer. Even from Madison Park (one of my preferred in-city neighborhoods) the bus takes 18 minutes in the morning to get three blocks from 700 Stewart. Comparable times from farther out will be more.

Use Metro's trip planner - King County Metro Transit Trip Planning to play with public transport options.

Thanks! What a great link! I see now from Bellevue it's more like 45 minutes and not 30-35. I guess our target locations will be North Seattle with Ballard the NW boundary and Ravenna on the NE boundary. To the south, Columbia City seems about right. With my wife looking to work in a oncology center I imagine most of those center around the University area.

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-16-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
With my wife looking to work in a oncology center I imagine most of those center around the University area.
No.

The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance - the big dog - is a joint operation of the University of Washington, Children's Hospital and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. The SCCA's main campus is at the "Hutch" on Fairview across the street from Lake Union.

The many hospitals on First Hill (just east of downtown) also have cancer clinics, as of course does the UWMC on Montlake. But the SCCA is quite dominant.

The Hutch is served by a few buses and the Lake Union streetcar but it's not exactly at a transportation nexus. However like many of these places there's an active ride sharing and carpool system, which might allow you to expand your boundaries a little.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
No.

The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance - the big dog - is a joint operation of the University of Washington, Children's Hospital and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. The SCCA's main campus is at the "Hutch" on Fairview across the street from Lake Union.

The many hospitals on First Hill (just east of downtown) also have cancer clinics, as of course does the UWMC on Montlake. But the SCCA is quite dominant.

The Hutch is served by a few buses and the Lake Union streetcar but it's not exactly at a transportation nexus. However like many of these places there's an active ride sharing and carpool system, which might allow you to expand your boundaries a little.
Looking on a map in then appears that Ravenna may be one of our best options. That or Madison Park but I imagine going from Madison Park to SCCA gets crowded because of the campus.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:38 PM

Sorry, I mean Madison Park would be better than Ravenna.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:29 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Sorry, I mean Madison Park would be better than Ravenna.
Madison Park is a great in-city enclave - but it is pricey.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM

What about the Green Lake area? My wife has been finding rentals in that area that she really likes. I imagine it's about a 40 minute commute to DT (federal courthouse area) for me. My wife still doesn't know where she will be working but her dream job would be at the "Hutch" or a cancer treatment & research facility.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
What about the Green Lake area? My wife has been finding rentals in that area that she really likes. I imagine it's about a 40 minute commute to DT (federal courthouse area) for me. My wife still doesn't know where she will be working but her dream job would be at the "Hutch" or a cancer treatment & research facility.
I live in Ravenna, pretty close to Green Lake, and I think that would be a great location. Really hits your marks.

For commuting, I'd look at using the Green Lake Park & Ride (which also has bike lockers.) From there to both the courthouse and the Hutch (same bus, different stops) you're looking at around 13-15 minutes wheels turning, plus 5-10 min. walks. Buses from other origination points and/or to other destinations would obviously take longer.

Note the bus that you'd take from the P&R continues on to the health care cluster on First (aka "Pill") Hill.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I live in Ravenna, pretty close to Green Lake, and I think that would be a great location. Really hits your marks.

For commuting, I'd look at using the Green Lake Park & Ride (which also has bike lockers.) From there to both the courthouse and the Hutch (same bus, different stops) you're looking at around 13-15 minutes wheels turning, plus 5-10 min. walks. Buses from other origination points and/or to other destinations would obviously take longer.

Note the bus that you'd take from the P&R continues on to the health care cluster on First (aka "Pill") Hill.

That's fantastic! Most of what we've been finding in our price range & amenity list centers in Ballard, Phinney Ridge, Green Lake, and Ravenna. From what I understand we really can't go wrong with one of those neighborhoods.

We looked in Madison Park but there isn't much there (at least available to rent) right now. Bellevue is out because of length of commuting.

Thanks for the input! I still don't know when we are moving (have the offer & acceptance but waiting on HR to complete their paperwork) but hopefully the end of January / beginning of February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area