Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,116 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Seattle from Dallas and wanted to get some advice on where to live in Seattle.

These are my requirements:
- $1200/mo or less (I will most likely get a roommate)
- Urban/Walkable area with a lot of people around my age. I don't care too much for the nightlife scene, but if that happens to be the area where all the young singles are, I certainly am okay living there as well. Ideally I'd like to be able to get around without a car, if possible.
- I'm an Asian who would like to be in a neighborhood that has a high percentage of other Asian.

That's about all I can think of right now. From what I've read, it seems like Capitol Hill would be a great walkable neighborhood with a lot of young people. Bellevue seems to have a higher Asian population, but much less urban, so it seems like I'll have to pick between urban/walkable, or Asian neighborhood.

If you have any recommendations or comments, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 02:40 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
Do you have a job lined up? Traffic is pretty nasty - generally it's a good idea to minimize your commute as much as possible, and let that be a large determining factor in where you live. So if you know the area where you'll be working, that would be a good place to start.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:57 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Beacon Hill in Seattle.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:59 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times
I'm focusing on Renton, Aurburn, Kent and Federal way as my job will be in the SeaTac airport. Also keep in mind that apartments require you gross 2.5x or up to 3x or more in monthly income more than the monthly rent, that's the issue I ran into, I can afford the rent up to $1300/mo as I have no debt, but I don't meet many of their requirements for income.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Do you have a job lined up? Traffic is pretty nasty - generally it's a good idea to minimize your commute as much as possible, and let that be a large determining factor in where you live. So if you know the area where you'll be working, that would be a good place to start.
I'll be keeping my current job and working from home, so traffic will be a non-issue for me. Sorry, I forgot to mention this in my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Beacon Hill in Seattle.
Thanks! Is this area a good walkable area and how diverse of a neighborhood is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I'm focusing on Renton, Aurburn, Kent and Federal way as my job will be in the SeaTac airport. Also keep in mind that apartments require you gross 2.5x or up to 3x or more in monthly income more than the monthly rent, that's the issue I ran into, I can afford the rent up to $1300/mo as I have no debt, but I don't meet many of their requirements for income.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep this in mind. I think I'm grossing ~$5200/mo, so it sounds like I should be okay here.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:23 PM

Yes, Beacon Hill and nearby Columbia City are some of the most diverse areas in Seattle. The north end of Beacon Hill is pretty walkable, Columbia City very much so too. The other neat thing, you can live walking distance to light rail here, which opens many possibilities.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-10-2016 at 04:44 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 04:41 PM

415 posts, read 490,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Yes, Beacon Hill and nearby Columbia City are some of the most diverse areas in Seattle. The north end of Beacon Hill is pretty walkable, Columbia City very much so too. The other neat thing, you can live walking distance to light rain here, which opens many possibilities.
"you can live walking distance to light rain here"

This is splendidly true. But availability of light rain is pretty excellent anyplace west of the mountains from Canada to California.

I live in North Beacon Hill. It's ok. Not bad. Not quite as happening or walkable as Capitol Hill but also not nearly as expensive, loud and congested. According to this useful map, it's for those who "couldn't afford Capitol Hill.

On a bike, it's a pretty good central location to get Downtown or too.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:46 PM

treuphax, well played. Glad my spell correct provided the segue

Old 10-10-2016, 05:04 PM

Thank you for suggesting Beacon Hill. I'd still like to be in the most happening part of town, so as long as I can find something that isn't extraordinarily expensive, that will be my first pick, but Beacon Hill seems like a solid second. From what I'm gathering, it sounds like you'll get more bang for your buck there, it's more diverse, it also has a decent amount of things to do, and you have good rail access to quickly get you to other parts of town, is that correct?

But if price were not a factor, are there any benefits to picking Beacon Hill over Capitol Hill?

Old 10-10-2016, 05:05 PM

Sure. Cap Hill has more going on. It is also much more expensive and much less diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area