Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 23,824 times

Advertisements

I am not sure how anyone can afford to buy a house in Seattle if they earn under 100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 PM

327 posts, read 962,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1234 View Post
I'd much rather pay a mortgage than pay rent! Why pay someone else and be guaranteed to lose your money? Even in a down market where your house is losing value, you are STILL better off buying in lots of situations. Consider the mortgage interest and property tax deductions and the fact that you're paying down your principal rather than throwing money at some landlord. Think about it...

And in response to the original post - yup, open house traffic will probably continue to increase for the next few months as people start looking to move before the summer.
This probably isn't the right thread for a financial discussion, but I see what you're saying. However, the real answer is: It depends! What I'm talking about is the point in time where you begin to actually make money off of owning a home vs. renting a home of equal size/location/value. There's a lot of calculators out there, like the following link....

Is it better to Buy or Rent?

Depending on your situation, it's sometimes much better to rent than buy. You need to look at the big picture of how your home is making you money (including tax benefits of owning). If I buy right now at $500,000 with $50,000 of my own money as a down payment, and next year the market takes a tumble and looses 10%, I just lost the value of my entire down payment. Where as if I waited a year and bought when the market is low again, I wouldn't have taken such a hit to my liquid assets.

Lets also consider the history of real estate in this area. Real estate always follows a stair step pattern. There's time of rapid growth, followed by an equal length of no growth and minor decline...then it spikes again. The times of decline are required for incomes to catch up with the rising costs. The problem with the last 6 years is Seattle has grossly appreciated many times higher than any point in its history. It resembles the spike in CO2 levels in the past 50 years....totally off the scale!

If history repeats itself, this latest spike will be followed by an equal length of flat or declining prices.

So with so much uncertainty, is it really a good time to buy? I'm not convinced. It depends on your situation and how long you're planning on living in the home. But everyone should do their own math and take their own risks.

Best of luck.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM

100 posts, read 442,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonian Elopers View Post
I am not sure how anyone can afford to buy a house in Seattle if they earn under 100k.
Equity(sale Proceeds) from a previous property in our case....and 100k is plenty enough to buy in Seattle even 80k,just depends on how much or it you save for the downpayment

Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM

142 posts, read 558,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1234 View Post
I'd much rather pay a mortgage than pay rent! Why pay someone else and be guaranteed to lose your money? Even in a down market where your house is losing value, you are STILL better off buying in lots of situations. Consider the mortgage interest and property tax deductions and the fact that you're paying down your principal rather than throwing money at some landlord. Think about it...

And in response to the original post - yup, open house traffic will probably continue to increase for the next few months as people start looking to move before the summer.
Ah... but consider the other side of the coin. Many people in other areas are stuck with mortgages that are actually higher than the value of their home because they bought at inflated prices...and everyone says the prices here are terribly inflated. So could it happen here? I sure as heck would not take a chance on it. Renting gives me the option of moving whenever I want to.

If I buy a house and the market here tanks like it's doing everywhere else, well I'd end up having to sell it for less than I paid for it if I needed to move. That doesn't sound like a good deal to me!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
There's also a historical relationship between rents and mortgages..I think the long term figure is that a home prices averages 200 times the monthly rent for the same house, and right now in Seattle it's more like 320 times, so to get back to it's average, either home prices will have to drop, or rents will have to rise, or a combination. Right now a monthly rental payment is far, far lower than a mortgage payment.
Sometimes you just feel like you need to own a home...it doesn't have to make financial sense.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Seattle home prices post decline (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/356339_housing26.html - broken link)

Seattle home prices post decline.......

...... "close to double-digit" decline in the Seattle area, hitting bottom the first half of 2009.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:03 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
It wouldn't surprise me to see a double digit decline( from the peak) sometime in '09...Right now we're still at a standoff. Buyers are hearing about declines in other areas and lending standards have tightened, so there's far less buying.
A lot of sellers know what their houses "were worth" a year ago, and don't see why they should lower prices, and some realtors are advising them to hold firm on prices, as if that could stem the tide.
It doesn't mean you should or shouldn't buy. Inventory is high, so there's a lot to choose from, and if you're planning on staying in the house for 10 years, the price shouldn't make that much difference. And some people just don't feel whole until they own a house. In that case, just make sure you find a relative bargain to cushion you against price decreases.
At the moment, renting is still far less expensive.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 AM

69 posts, read 246,584 times
In think when considering the buy or rent issue, one should think about mobility. It would be awful to be stuck trying to sell a house in a declining market when you had to be somewhere else. I am seeing on the Seattle market houses that have been on the market hundreds of days! (what is the average length of time a house is on the market over there anyway?) I am asking myself, what if we hated it there and want to go, and we had this house that was unsalable. What if we wanted to come back to our home country and we had sold our house (that we REALLY love) and couldn't find another that we like as much? And you can't always plan when to leave - it may be in a declining market, there may be a war for goodness sake (scarily, this isn't all that remote a possibility nowadays), or the next Great Depression. I thought I would be in my current house 10 years. Opportunity knocks elsewhere in 2 years.

I heard once that the time to think of selling is when you are buying. It is some what like trying to gaze into a crystal ball.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
IMHO;

All reasonable points. My personal feeling is that the housing issue will resolve itself before the next two years are up. If you want to be in a house less than two years, it is usually not a good idea to purchase a house since it will end up costing you more in a normal market. Of course all bets are off when we are in a crazy market like the last 5 years where house values jumped and jumped. There are always external factors but one thing to remember is that the Seattle job market is going to be stable and growing in the next 5-10 years. Microsoft continues to hire at a good clip, they have never had a lossing quarter, they like having employees in the Redmond area(They have major Redmond expansion plans underway) so they will continue to add well paying jobs to the market. Boeing has orders for Dreamliners to keep them busy for a number of years. And each of these companies have their own ecosystem of support companies that are needed to support them.

So I don't expect a great depression of 10 years to occur again. Are we in a recession? I say yes. It will be interesting times for the next year, for sure.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:39 AM

522 posts, read 2,626,839 times
The house behind us has been for sale for 7 months..now down in price over 60,000. I feel bad for the people who own it, they have moved out already and are panicking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area