Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 AM

9 posts, read 9,407 times

Advertisements

Sad to be leaving my town in Ohio with acreage and best cost of Living but my husband will be working downtown.
He is willing to ride on the train/ferry and can work while doing so maybe up to an hour.
We love the city and all the diversity but for our home base we are looking for
-small school for my little boy who is use to a whole grade with 100 kids.
Maybe a Christian school as an option(not catholic)
-around $350,000
-as small town vibe as possible
-we are pretty conservative and don't need a whole town to have our view but
Don't want to be the only republican around

Thanks so much for your help. Trying to make the most of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:37 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Here's the problem:

You really can't afford the vast majority of the area, and you will be pushed out to the fringes such that the commuting expectations will need to be adjusted. Wide swaths of King, Snohomish, and even parts of Pierce County will be unaffordable to you, so an hour's commute is -- frankly -- the minimum you can expect as far as a commute is concerned.

My understanding is that Maple Valley may still be cheap enough for you to afford. That would put you about 1 hour away, each way, from downtown.

Another option would be to live in Kitsap County -- Bremerton -- and take the ferry. Keep in mind that the time spent in transit on the water is 1 hour, so any commute via ferry will be in excess of one hour by definition.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:20 AM

If we could increase our budget what is the ideal spot for what I'm describing?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmpc View Post
It sounds like you are trying to make Seattle look like a different place than it is. He could have an hour commute within the metro. He could have an hour commute coming from Everett.

While we have a few Christian schools, Seattle is not particularly religious. We are tied for least religious along with San Francisco and Portland.

11 Least Religious Cities in the US: List

We are not particularly conservative either, we were one of the only states to pass gay marriage by vote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Referendum_74

Here are the results by county and notice the difference between Western Washington and Eastern Washington

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin..._by_county.png

As for housing costs, this is not Ohio, the cost of housing is much higher

Home prices soar again; some buyers camp out to lay claim to a future condo | The Seattle Times

Maple Valley often gets recommended and it is nice but the population there is more like 25,000

Maple Valley WA : About Maple Valley

If your husband is considering a job here, realistic expectations are important. Don't look for tropical beaches in Alaska.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmpc View Post
What's your maximum budget? The median house in Seattle is around $600,000.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 AM

My husband has been telecommuting and traveling out there for about seven years. He has a job already. I think we could do 550, 000 if I decided to work as well. I have seen many in that range looking online, but only having spent time in the city, I don't have a feel for neighborhoods. Just looking for maybe a little pocket area where we may be comfortable.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:09 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
If he's willing to do an hour commute you'll be fine! Puyallup has a ton of options for less than $400k! Fall City, Carnation, North Bend, Monroe. I suppose you could try some of the Islands... I know a conservative family that moved from Issaquah to Gig Harbor and enjoys it a lot.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
If he's willing to do an hour commute you'll be fine! Puyallup has a ton of options for less than $400k! Fall City, Carnation, North Bend, Monroe. I suppose you could try some of the Islands... I know a conservative family that moved from Issaquah to Gig Harbor and enjoys it a lot.
Thanks for the encouraging words!!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,886 times
I have plenty of Republican friends (well, nobody's perfect ) who live on the east side of Lake Washington and in south Snohomish County. I'd look at Monroe, Bothell, Woodinville, or farther south around Duvall, Carnation, Snoqualmie and North Bend; or Issaquah and Maple Valley southeast of the city. Even Renton and the Kent-Auburn areas might feel right. There are good Christian schools throughout the region, but I'd be careful about school fees on top of a limited housing budget.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:41 PM

332 posts, read 398,163 times
Your budget is way way off if you want to live anywhere near Seattle, you need to double it. I also don't think your views are going to fit in here. You want to be way outside of Seattle, at least an hour outside if not more. I have yet to see a Trump sign, thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area