U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 17,540 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm going to be working in Redmond starting sometime this May. The city is boring, so I thought maybe I could live in Seattle, but I keep hearing this reverse commute problem? Is it there?

I have a couple of options in my relocation, either ask my employer to move everything for me, or choose a nominal amount. I plan to choose the nominal amount, since I have virtually no belongings besides my PC.

Is it safe to assume that I can rent a place pretty quickly in Seattle? Or are there too many renters looking around in May? Are there any temporary accomodation places that are relatively inexpensive?

thanks,
Nish.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM

5,597 posts, read 18,146,555 times
If you'll be working for Microsoft, you'll easily be able to take advantage of the excellent bus service that Metro, Sound Transit, and Microsoft themselves provide. It's a no-brainer to take some type of transit service and just relax and use the wi-fi as you zip along on the H.O.V. lane watching other traffic just sitting there.

Even if not working for Bill, it would still probably be recommended to take public transportation.

Yes, the "reverse commute" going toward Redmond in the morning and back to Seattle in the afternoon, is now probably --or can be-- worse than the so-called normal-direction commute.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:02 PM

3,226 posts, read 13,338,684 times
Most people though, if they are working in Seattle, commute over 520... which doesn't have any HOV lane... so public transportation or not, you are still sitting in a hellish commute.

Live where you work, and play elsewhere.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Most people though, if they are working in Seattle, commute over 520... which doesn't have any HOV lane... so public transportation or not, you are still sitting in a hellish commute.

Live where you work, and play elsewhere.

You still save a lot of time in the afternoon on SR-520 going westbound, when the buses use the HOV lane between Microsoft and Evergreen Point.

It may not seem like a big deal but, believe me, some days it will save a good half-hour taking the bus than sitting in traffic using a single-occupant-vehicle going toward Seattle in the afternoon on 520.

But I do agree with the "live as close to work as possible" slogan ...I've said it numerous times; IMO, it's better to spend that time with your family than sitting in traffic.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-25-2008 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Just an interesting tidbit, the SR-520 HOV lanes were actually the very first High Occupancy Lanes in the Seattle area. They were designed westbound in the early 70's as a bus only lane when the toll booths at Evergreen Point were still there.

The buses would avoid all the traffic in the morning waiting in line to pay the toll at the line of booths. Back then, there was no heavy reverse commute as all the commuter traffic was going into Seattle in the morning ...this was BM*, of course.

*Before Microsoft

Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM

5,789 posts, read 14,037,743 times
Many Microsoft employees live in Seattle including a few friends of mine and ALL catch the metro bus to get there. One of my friends lives on 16th Ave. on Capitol Hill. He walks one block to the bus stop and catches the 43 to the 520. He gets off there and catches the Redmond bus to Microsoft. He loves the fact that he doesn't have to drive. Evening commutes are the worst everywhere but coming back to Seattle the commute is much better because of the extra hov lane which is rarely used since it requires 3 people to a car. I live in Seattle and work on the eastside(Bellevue) which isn't as far as Redmond but I still catch metro.

Right now the rental market is tightning a little, but you shouldn't have a problem finding an apartment in Seattle.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM

1,626 posts, read 6,442,919 times
It will be interesting to see how tolls - like $6 or so - will affect traffic patterns on the 520, assuming they come about.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:53 PM

The Seattle Times: 520 gets closer to tolls

*ack* off on a tangent again... but if you look at the photo, the caption is mis-labeled.

Assuming that the top of the photo is east, the back-up is going westbound at the toll plaza which would mean that it's the morning rush hour instead of the evening rush hour as the caption states.

Again, traffic in 1975 was strictly in a standard commute pattern as you can see that there is hardly any traffic going in the reverse direction ...this was all "BM."

Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes, I read about this! I'm going to download that map, and contact every property management around there. I'm willing to spend $900 for a studio apartment. No family for me, not yet; just getting done with college.

Another friend of mine also visits this forums (or was) and recommended to asks questions.

Redmond was highly boring when I was there, having lived all my life in a small college town, I'm ready for some big city actions and tall walls.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM

I accepted the $5000 as relocation money, as opposed to their full move. Like my friend who visited this forum I plan to buy a car with that money! Sweet!

Of course, if people here think otherwise, let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: