Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 21,498 times

Advertisements

If you were moving from CA or NY it would be easier to adjust to the COL and less living space. Coming from TX it wont just be less house but very old house too. Even if the home is updated you are always gonna be thinking about the newish mcmansion goodies. Ofcourse there are tradeoffs but people just want to know why you picked seattle. politics? greeness? clouds? lifestyle change? Just curious.

I'd say browse thru some zillow entries and then fly in to check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 01:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlappyPaddleGearbox View Post
Is there some reason why not?
Why don't you want to elucidate your reasons for wanting to move to an area that, honestly, couldn't be more different (not just in cost of living, but also in culture, politics, religion, geography, weather, etc.) from where you're coming from?

In the absence of positive reasons (or the presence of only a single reason, such as a job or career), you could be setting yourself, wife, and family up for disappointment. It can't help but beg the question of what, or who, would be driving this move.

Unless it involves a significant increase in income, it is hard to see how this move pencils out. Even so, it'll still likely be little more than a lateral move, financially speaking, whether doing with considerably less or spending considerably more.

The real wildcard is the commute. 30 minutes is a fantasy, unless willing to considerably pay more for housing and/or downgrade your other expectations, than what you've so far indicated.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:48 PM

403 posts, read 680,985 times
Man, I wish I had the problems of a $700K-$1M house budget. I'd be out of Houston and back to the Pac NW tonight.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:06 PM

332 posts, read 397,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlappyPaddleGearbox View Post
good schools are a necessity.

Did you get an input on schools here? I would base my neighborhood decision on quality of schools. The public schools in Seattle are really really mediocre. Most people that can afford to, send their kids to a private school for good reason. North Seattle has the better schools. The Eastside has the best schools, that would be Mercer Island, Bellevue, etc.

Unfortunately the areas with the better schools are going to be way above your budget. Seattle is a great place to live in, has one of the healthiest job markets in the country, can't keep up with all the people moving here, and anyone who thinks the market here is topping out is just bitter and not in touch with reality. It is getting very expensive though so be prepared to spend more here and keep spending more here for years to come.

If you purchase a more expensive house here in a hood with good schools you will most likely make good money off the house at least since there is zero reason to believe the market here will slow down anytime soon. I say this as someone who is selling and moving soon. There is plenty of upside left in this town.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:28 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,223 times
Here's a useful tool that estimates how far a 30-min commute using public transportation will take you. Mapnificent - Dynamic Public Transport Travel Time Maps Intuitively it looks pretty good, but I have no idea how it comes up with the "contours." Set the blue arrow where you're commuting TO, then once it loads, use the sliding scale to come up with your target time.

I disagree with the previous poster who says Seattle schools are mediocre, but don't want to get into a fight about Seattle's deficiencies. We're all grownups who can use research tools as well as the next person. Education, like real estate, archery and place kicking, is all about location, location, location.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:06 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,197,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Did you get an input on schools here? I would base my neighborhood decision on quality of schools. The public schools in Seattle are really really mediocre. Most people that can afford to, send their kids to a private school for good reason. North Seattle has the better schools. The Eastside has the best schools, that would be Mercer Island, Bellevue, etc.

Unfortunately the areas with the better schools are going to be way above your budget. Seattle is a great place to live in, has one of the healthiest job markets in the country, can't keep up with all the people moving here, and anyone who thinks the market here is topping out is just bitter and not in touch with reality. It is getting very expensive though so be prepared to spend more here and keep spending more here for years to come.

If you purchase a more expensive house here in a hood with good schools you will most likely make good money off the house at least since there is zero reason to believe the market here will slow down anytime soon. I say this as someone who is selling and moving soon. There is plenty of upside left in this town.
lol you sound like a real estate agent, they all say the same things every time Seattle is in an upswing. History has proven Seattle booms and busts, fairly regularly. How are all the millennials going to afford 800k starter homes with 200k in student debt for a worthless art history degree? What goes up must come down.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:14 PM

332 posts, read 397,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
lol you sound like a real estate agent, they all say the same things every time Seattle is in an upswing. History has proven Seattle booms and busts, fairly regularly. How are all the millennials going to afford 800k starter homes with 200k in student debt for a worthless art history degree? What goes up must come down.
No, just someone who has made a lot of money in the past investing in real estate. I live in a very nice large house on Capitol Hill. How about you?

Old 11-04-2016, 01:42 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,116 times
For researching schools, the best place to start is a map of where you would like to live, pick out some schools, then head to the state database.

Washington State Report Card

Look by district, schools, etc.

Take test scores with a grain of salt. If you child (or their parent) choses not to participate in the annual state testing, the current system has that child receiving a Zero. So, if you're in a school where a handful of parents are "anti"-testing, it can impact the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area