Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times

Advertisements

To add to my above post: come to Seattle in December and there's a 90% chance of bad weather, come in July and there's a 90% chance you'll want to move there. Seattle has terrible weather most of the time, but summers up there are unmatched, I even prefer them to Hawaii that time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:44 AM

361 posts, read 397,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
To add to my above post: come to Seattle in December and there's a 90% chance of bad weather, come in July and there's a 90% chance you'll want to move there. Seattle has terrible weather most of the time, but summers up there are unmatched, I even prefer them to Hawaii that time of year.

No to hijack this thread. But since you took a swipe at Hawaii summer weather, I'd say that Western WA state summer "DAY" time weather is generally nice. However even during the month of June, the night weathers were sometimes chilly/cold. Heck, there were even overcast and some chilly days during June and even during July and August! LOL! Remember, Western WA weather gets nice "after July 5th"

Old 11-23-2016, 01:58 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
No to hijack this thread. But since you took a swipe at Hawaii summer weather, I'd say that Western WA state summer "DAY" time weather is generally nice. However even during the month of June, the night weathers were sometimes chilly/cold. Heck, there were even overcast and some chilly days during June and even during July and August! LOL! Remember, Western WA weather gets nice "after July 5th"
Lol true, but it wasn't meant as a swipe at Hawaii summer weather, just saying it's usually so nice in Seattle during summer I'd rather just spend it there. This time of year, I'm extremely happynto be in HI or LA

Old 11-26-2016, 02:02 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
If it isn't raining every day you're here, it will almost certainly be very gray with the skies so low they feel like the clouds are just a few feet above you. It could even snow, but that's not likely, but it could - more likely sleet than snow if it gets that cold. Days are in the 40s, usually.
I'm coming home in a few weeks to visit for Christmas. This description is curbing my enthusiasm somewhat.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:06 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Pretty much sums it all up.

There's about a 90% chance the weather will be pretty terrible most/all if the days you're in Seattle. Don't underestimate how bad 45f, light to moderate rain, perpetual darkness (even during the day), and the ever-present Seattle 20mph wind feels
Now I'm just getting depressed...

Old 12-01-2016, 01:01 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
I am assuming your flying? Not sure why you would want to fly mid to late Dec. It will be more expensive and the weather will essentially be the same next month, but cheaper time to travel. I personally would travel to Seattle when it's nicer out like late spring.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:23 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Sure, you'll have a good time. Downtown is buzzing with holiday spirit that time of year. Bring a warm sweater, a shell (the jacket kind) and remember that umbrellas make you look very much like a tourist around here!

Old 12-01-2016, 06:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Sure, you'll have a good time. Downtown is buzzing with holiday spirit that time of year. Bring a warm sweater, a shell (the jacket kind) and remember that umbrellas make you look very much like a tourist around here!
So does saying Pikes Place Market instead of Pike Place Market.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
I won't say that the weather will be bad. The weather will probably be typical and expected. A clear day would be atypical and unexpected.

The opposite of LA or Texas.
Have fun.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:23 AM

511 posts, read 624,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide if a trip to Seattle from 12/14 - 12/18 would be a good idea weather-wise? Is it bearable, I mean, even for people who aren't from the Pacific NW? Does it rain everyday, etc? Any help would be appreciated!
Well, now that you've gotten a lot of possibilities, and we're now here, Dec 16, smack in the middle of your potential visit, it's sunny! Oh, I didn't predict that one. I said it was likely to be overcast, low, low clouds and rain possibly, but almost for sure clouds.

It's sunny! And it's 27 degrees right now in Seattle, but the high isn't as bad as predicted. It's supposed to get up to 33 degrees today! Uh-huh, yes, when it's sunny in December in Seattle, it's COLD. If it's sunny, it's going to be bone-chilling cold. Now, if you're from east somewhere, you might find 20-some degrees to be bracing, lovely, but if you're from SoCal, oh baby, I don't think you'd consider that "bearable" in any capacity, even bundled up with wool scarves and boots and two sets of coats. Nope. Nada. On the 18th, your potential departure, it's likely going to snow, so the clouds will have come in, and the 18th will be the transition day to clouds and rain, but as cold moves to cool (well, relatively speaking 40 as a daytime high is cool, not cold), snow will fall before rain.

The frost is so thick it looks like snow on my grass and bushes and fence railings, and it's been like this now for a couple days. The ground is frozen solid, the earth, literally, crunches under my feet. It's weird to someone not used to freezing. I mean, stick your head in the freezer, shut the door as much as you can and breathe that in, stay there for a bit, and you'll get an idea of what it's like when you open the door to go outside. Yep, it's surreal to someone from SoCal, this kind of cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area