Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 02:16 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,303,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't trust for a moment the recommendations that we see here from time to time that the south end has changed and gentrified. The occurrence of frequent "incidents" shouldn't surprise anyone, IMO.
Read they're targeting older Asian females, who often carry larger amounts of cash. In this case, looks like she was possibly followed, in the evening, from the Othello light rail station, with the purse-nabbing happening on a side-street after she left MLK Way. When he grabbed her purse, she resisted, which led to the shooting.

Be aware - if you think you are being followed, don't leave the thoroughfare. Make note of appearance, clothing, etc. Call the police.

If you are robbed, don't resist. Most of these robbers aren't professional thieves, but drug addicts desperate for a fix who are looking for an easy mark. Walk tall (even if short). Carrying a gun won't help if facing a gun - trying to use it could increase the chances of getting shot.

Don't carry an expensive or "designer" purse. Don't carry any more than token cash in your purse or wallet (keep larger amounts in a hidden money belt; better yet, keep it in a bank). Carry ID, passport, bankcard, etc., separately.

"Gentrifying" doesn't mean gentrified. Gangs may still be claiming the area as turf. Shootings can occur, although they probably aren't aiming at you. House, apartment, or car break-ins are more likely - invest in security and insurance.

It can be an area with more affordable housing and shorter commutes (than the 'burbs) - the grade schools can be good, reflecting new money moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 PM

8,787 posts, read 6,719,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I've been mugged twice at gunpoint in South Seattle. Whats so funny about packing after that.
You seem to laugh as easily as the town idiot.
I assume people on the internet are guys unless there's evidence otherwise. My bad.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:10 PM

3,609 posts, read 2,878,570 times
^^^^ I am a guy. You don't think violence and robberies happen to guys? In a country where over 50 cops have died by guns this year you assume bad guys only point a gun at women? There have been numerous NFL players who are pretty big and strong getting robbed at gunpoint. Please think more, it's good for your health.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,630,023 times
Totally agree with the OP. The Seattle fearful should move to Albuquerque!

Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 PM

But there might be DANGERS in Albuquerque!

Old 12-19-2016, 10:24 PM

I fell in love with ABQ the moment the I saw the place. In my whole life I have never seen an area with so much wide open spaces as far as the eye can see in any direction. You need bigger eyeballs down here. Mortgage free, traffic free ( usually). Life is good here. Oh yeah, the sun all year round.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
But there might be DANGERS in Albuquerque!

Again, you have nothing but stupid posts. . Say something worth our time. I challenge you.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,630,023 times
Quote:
I fell in love with ABQ the moment the I saw the place. In my whole life I have never seen an area with so much wide open spaces as far as the eye can see in any direction. You need bigger eyeballs down here. Mortgage free, traffic free ( usually). Life is good here. Oh yeah, the sun all year round.
I think Seattle and the PNW is the most beautiful place in the country but I don't want everyone moving here, so fully support those that choose Albuquerque or any place else.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,470,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Read they're targeting older Asian females, who often carry larger amounts of cash. In this case, looks like she was possibly followed, in the evening, from the Othello light rail station, with the purse-nabbing happening on a side-street after she left MLK Way. When he grabbed her purse, she resisted, which led to the shooting.
Thank you for spelling this out. It's well understood both inside and outside the communities in question that immigrants tend to have a thriving cash economy. This sort of targeting is not new.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Again, you have nothing but stupid posts. . Say something worth our time. I challenge you.
I'll just be a grown up who doesn't need a crutch.

Lots of people do it, in EVERY part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area