Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times

Advertisements

Audi seems to 'fit' me quite nice, (and your SO might fit). Too bad we can't get the euro cars as they have MANY more 'city-commute-car models' and narrow carriageways / alleys to match.

Try an Audi A3, but the Mazda 3 might be my next choice. Does VW still offer the new 'rabbit'? Toyota will be the most reliable / long care-free service. The Mini, may be the most troublesome (according to friends that own them).

As mentioned... keeping the Jetta and renting a $9.99 Enterprise car makes the most $$ sense.

My 40 yr old daily driver still gets 50mpg on free cooking oil. LOVE the hatchback. I build houses in my free time, and the "StealthRabbit' has hauled a lot of treasures home from free/recycle stores, as well as 20' pipe, lumber, rebar on my temporary 'racks'.

Hatchbacks make great utility / camping vehicles. but a bit noisy on the road.

$50,000 is a LOT of dough for an infrequently used city car. I prefer buying 'used' so I don't fret about scratches and dings on city car. I search for 'one-owner' for sale BY OWNER and then carefully screen for the most reliable vehicle that matches my needs.

My "StealthRabbit' cost me $35 bucks at a towing company 'abandoned vehicle auction'. It has never darked the door of a 'fix-it-shop / dealer' ~ 500,000 miles, expect to eventually double that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,895,425 times
Prius, Toyota
Impreza / CrossTrek, Subaru

Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM

13,032 posts, read 7,426,952 times
How can you be stealthy in a diesel rabbit with 500k?

Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 PM

415 posts, read 489,174 times
Sounds like you're looking for something that is beyond mere sensibility.

If you absolutely have to own...

Fiat 500.

Get that.

Still the hatchback offers surprising stowing space.

Everytime I get in my bella bianca cinquecento (500) I can't help the silly childish smiles. It zooms and handles with such precision. I feel so confident and safe in traffic because I always know where I and the boundaries of the car are and can maneuver with such agility. I'm ready for the premature mid-live crisis when it strikes. I've already got the silly Italian sports car without the crazy extravagance.

I even test drove Audi TT & Ford Mustang, but there was no competition what was most fun.

Obviously I can't judge your subjective tastes. Get behind the wheel and test drive a bunch of cars. The choice should then become clear. The Fiat dealer sent me home on a test drive over the weekend. They knew what they were doing and the experience sold me. Decision 100% from the heart but still no regrets. Don't underestimate the quality and reliability of precision Italian engineering...

More sources if curious
Activity Stream - Fiat 500 USA Forum
Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums

And for any car shopping I found this tool useful:
https://www.cargurus.com/
with this tool one can search for exact features in current regional dealer inventory... and show current reduced promotional pricing. Negotiating is such a pain. Maybe I'd let Costco do it for me next time?

Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 PM

811 posts, read 1,056,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I looked into the cars and I have to say my favs are Mini, Beetle, and Fiat 500/Mazda 3. My S.O. tells me that if I'm going to torture him with tiny cabins (he is much bigger than I am) then I should think about an Audi TT or Miata (if they still make Miatas??)
As long as you realize FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony.

My family owned a FIAT the first time they rolled into the USA. It was about when I first started driving.
Every time I would borrow that car, something would break. My sister wasn't as mechanical and I would have to drive some of the favorite parts out to wherever she was broken down in the FIAT and fix it for her. I could swap out a new fuel pump in the dark, in a few minutes.

Yes, they still make Miata's. In fact the newest model is a fun to to drive manual, nimble roadster.
Smallest cabin in the world. My bro-in-law that has the latest one fits it nicely. I am 5'10" 185 pounds and I have to shoehorn into the seat. Its a fun car though. His son is larger than me and literally cannot fit to see what how the car rides. Its a great car for wiry, little people.

If you have to spend a lot of money to feel good about yourself....get the Audi. Otherwise get a recent Subie Impreza for a fun little sporty car that will get you through all sorts of conditions with AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area