Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the cheapest, semi-decent area to live in Seattle?
Downtown/City Center 0 0%
North of Seattle 7 53.85%
South of Seattle 5 38.46%
West of Seattle 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
West of Seattle?

Known as West Seattle, Whidbey, Fidalgo, Kitsap Pen., etc.

Last edited by allforcats; 02-28-2008 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM

142 posts, read 557,989 times
Default You sound like Ballard to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi View Post
It was more of a general question...I have read the other posts about Seattle and have seen that people have a generally negative attitude about Seattle. However, I do not live nor do I need to live a fancy life. I don't need a big house, I have a hybrid vehical so I don't spend much on gas, not that I will drive a lot when living in a city with public transportation. We don't buy things other than food or basic necessities. I will have zero debt moving out there. I think we can afford between $1000 and $1600 for rent. I've seen a lot of apartments and houses in this price range. My question concerns recomended neighborhoods for a family.
You are obviously into the environment, you're young and you don't like to live an uppity life style. you'll fit right in.

And sorry you say you have only seen negative stuff on Seattle. Lots of us love this town and have spoken highly of it on this forum. Look around some more. I personally think it's one of the finest cities on the planet and believe me, I've been ALL over.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsha4 View Post
Lots of us love this town and have spoken highly of it on this forum. Look around some more. I personally think it's one of the finest cities on the planet and believe me, I've been ALL over.
You too, swsha4? Me too! States, countries, continents. And I chose the Seattle area, and have loved my choice every minute since!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Good choice Allforcats. I'm moving to Sequim in the spring, but I'll be back! I have ties here now and my heart is hers. Sequim is very nice too though...and not far.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:07 PM

Ahhhh Sequim.... one of the beauty spots of the Oly Pen.... How nice. I wish you well, Swsha4. That's hard to pronounce!! Swsha4 Swsha4! Hahahaha! Happy Sequimming!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM

First two letters are my initials last part is a takeoff on my last name.

Yeah, I can't wait to get over there and find a nice house to rent. The rents are way lower there so I think we'll be okay. I noticed lately they've gone down too. I don't know if that 's a trend or what.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
West of Seattle?

I'm assuming she is either talking about west Seattle, which is technically southwest of Seattle, or Bremerton, Bainbridge island, etc....

Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
The assertion that the south end is unfit for families is absurd. I have many friends who have grown up in Renton, Kent, Burien, etc. and turned out to be perfectly well adjusted individuals. My older brother has been a high school teacher in the Highline district for over 10 years, and hasn't experienced anything out of the ordinary as far as unruly students.

Just because it is a more diverse/lower income area doesn't mean that people don't *gasp* raise children there.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you would consider the CD safe for families, but not the South end.

I've typed it out before here...I live in Renton with my kids...spent some time in the CD last summer and wouldn't have my kids spending the night there. I'm sure there are decent parts of the CD as well. The part that I was in? Wannabe gangsters and people's houses getting shot up. That is the real deal.
I'm not sure what area of CD you were in? Or when? My inlaws live in CD and have for years upon years. It's a neighborhood of change, and involved people. My kids spent weekends with the grandparents all the time, and I always felt safe with them there... and everyone knows I am picky. And my inalws are big walkers - so the kids were always out with them, walking up to the safeway, out to get coffee, out to the parks, etc.

We would have considered moving there at one time, if we could afford private school... lots of cute older, fixer and fixed up homes. Good walkability, nice shopping and local restaurants, close to pretty much everything (lakes, downtown, hospitals, other vibrant neighborhoods, easy access to the eastside) ... we love that area. Very affordable & diverse.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Jenbar...

Yes, that's what I meant by I'm sure there are nice parts of the CD. But I only get that view from reading about it on this board.

My perception has always been that it's ghetto. My cousin grew up there and told me about a crackhead that was always coming to their place asking for money and food.

I honestly don't spend enough time in Seattle to know what area of it I was in recently and I'm directionally impaired, so I couldn't even tell you the street names.

My kids used to cheer for the Puget Sound Jr Football league, and some of the kids would switch to or from the other league because they both have Renton teams. I also have a friend whose niece cheered for that other league (in Burien) and she told me once last fall that they had a game in the CD the coming up weekend (with a "this should be interesting" tone of voice). I told her, uh oh...good luck with that...be careful!

I'm not sure if my point is coming across...I'm just saying that in my experiences (which I admit are limited), the CD's never been considered a great place to live. And also that kids are just as safe living in Renton or Kent as in the CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area