Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM

40 posts, read 76,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
After looking at your OP and the responses so far, it strikes me that you're trying for a "rifle shot" in terms of location, and you're including location factors that might be working at cross-purposes with each other.

Getting a real sense of community and a "community feel" is a little inconsistent with looking for high-value, waterfront, rather exclusive areas.
I think what you say is true, and thank you for your comments. Its probably me trying to combine my wife's requirements with me. Personally I prefer golf communities but I do love the water. Really exclusive is out of my budget and probably more lonely than I am looking for. I'm looking more for that golf where there is, by way of example, a different men's game every day at say 12:30 and those that put their names forward get put together and you get to meet people that way rather than the type of course where the same people play together at the same time and never play with new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,289,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthafricatoUS View Post
Thank you. Some of those look great - although quite a few on not on the water and obviously some have far less desirable views than others.
For those without waterfront, they all have waterviews and easy beach access, private for the Laurelhurst property, public for the others (Golden Gardens and Alki). Not a lot of larger waterfront properties available in Seattle proper. Lots of properties with waterviews, however.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,060,858 times
Quote:
I think what you say is true, and thank you for your comments. Its probably me trying to combine my wife's requirements with me. Personally I prefer golf communities but I do love the water. Really exclusive is out of my budget and probably more lonely than I am looking for. I'm looking more for that golf where there is, by way of example, a different men's game every day at say 12:30 and those that put their names forward get put together and you get to meet people that way rather than the type of course where the same people play together at the same time and never play with new people.
Again, I hate to generalize because there are always many exceptions, but having traveled and lived in quite a few very golfy places (including Scotland) I'll say that the Seattle area, and the Pacific NW in general, has a very small "golf culture" compared to other parts of the US like Florida, much of the south, southern California, etc. I think that's mainly due to the golf season coinciding with the boating season, not to mention the hiking, baseball, salmon fishing, little league, mountain biking, kids' soccer, and umpteen other seasons. Golf just isn't that big a deal hereabouts, and certainly not big enough to justify "golfing communities" like you see in other areas.

There are very few gated communities in the area, and while there are a couple with adjacent private country clubs (Broadmoor Golf Club next to the gated Broadmoor community in central Seattle and the Seattle Golf Club next to the Highlands, an ultra-exclusive enclave on the northern Seattle city limits) even in those the golf is really secondary to other features offered by those areas such as anonymity and controlled access.

Which is not to say that social golf isn't part of the landscape. For example, Jefferson Park on Beacon Hill in Seattle (which has a lovely public 18-hole course and adjacent par-3 course) is ground zero for many Japanese-American golfers, a tradition going back decades. It's a fundamental part of local Japanese-American culture. But (and again I don't want to over-generalize) I think that's an outlier in terms of local golf culture.

So I don't know how successful you're going to be in trying to find the kind of environment you're seeking. I certainly think that your search probably should focus on other amenities and factors before golf, because otherwise you might well be chasing rainbows in this region.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 AM

236 posts, read 287,517 times
Is one of your priorities good public schools or any schools including public or private? I feel like people have recommended places with good public schools, close to Orr in golf clubs, with water views or access to water but you have stated they are too far away and you really want to be close to the city so:

So far your priorities are:
1. Close to Seattle or in seattle (20 minute drive to downtown)
2. House on the water ( or possibly would consider water views)
3. Good schools ( not sure if public or private)
4. Ability to drive to a golf course
5. Golf course community if possible
6. Wide streets for walking

If good public schools being close to the city are your priorities look in the north east sections of the city- laurelhurst / windemere would be a good option.

I think with your budget and if you would consider private schools, you could find a lot of what you are looking for. Just a matter of inventory . Good luck!

Last edited by modc; 01-10-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 PM

On the preferences, some things have to give: waterfront/water view large house, 30-minute drive to Seattle, excellent schools, excellent golf (within 30 minutes?), walkable family neighborhood.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 PM

40 posts, read 76,308 times
Absolutely - either that or I will have to find a more lucrative job. Its a great sign for your market that you can't have it all at that price!

I think I would give up:

firstly on being close to downtown - especially if in return we get parks and forests close by
secondly on private schools - although I don't want my kids, as they are now, only exposed to wealthy brats with no manners

Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 PM

735 posts, read 864,937 times
Don't send them to private schools, at your price point the schools are going to be great, remember that the greater Seattle area is pricing out people and the ones able to afford it all work for tech companies. Seattle is also a very highly educated city, parents are not going to tolerate subpar schools, they're very involved in their children's education.

Come up for a visit, preferably soon while we still suffer our short winter days. Drive around, experience the traffic and go to some local schools and ask what they emphasize. Some are cutting art for programming, some take the hit on test scores because they don't want to teach to the test. I don't know if you can play rounds at this time of year, but at least you can visit the local courses and talk to bored staffers who handout balls for the driving range.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,614,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Don't send them to private schools, at your price point the schools are going to be great, remember that the greater Seattle area is pricing out people and the ones able to afford it all work for tech companies. Seattle is also a very highly educated city, parents are not going to tolerate subpar schools, they're very involved in their children's education.
I disagree. I think private schools should still be considered. If we can afford private schools on a project manager's salary (we don't, but I've run the numbers and we could) then the OP certainly can. I live in a economically diverse community with multi-million dollar estates and subsidized apartments. Although we have top-notch schools many families prefer private education and, I have to say, there is a qualitative difference with those kids. Sure, maybe they are a little uppity, but I actually find it appropriate. These kids will be moving on to bigger and better things for which they'll be prepared. I think it will help preserve their socioeconomic standing as they become independent adults.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,868,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
I would disagree - Seattle Public Schools performance/reputation does not correlate with Seattle being a highly educated city. Sad, but true.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Absolutely - either that or I will have to find a more lucrative job. Its a great sign for your market that you can't have it all at that price!

I think I would give up:

firstly on being close to downtown - especially if in return we get parks and forests close by
secondly on private schools - although I don't want my kids, as they are now, only exposed to wealthy brats with no manners
The Newcastle property I posted earlier was a short walk to trailheads into Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park:

http://your.kingcounty.gov/ftp/gis/W...n_brochure.pdf

Great public schools. Lots of great golfing on the Eastside, including in Newcastle. Swimming beaches on Lake Sammamish and Lake Washington not far away. Close to Downtown Bellevue. Closer to Downtown Seattle than Issaquah, Sammamish, etc. With our hilly terrain, water and/or mountain views aren't hard to find; waterfront is more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area