Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:47 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Yeah, and if you are buying a car WA will get their taxes, but how many cars are being pulled over after a Costco run in PDX?
I just don't understand the concept of enjoying all the infrastructure provided by sales taxes without paying them. Can't just pick and choose which laws you decide to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:56 AM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
No one follows all the laws, or are you going to claim you have never sped or that if you come back to an expired parking meter you retroactively put money in it, instead of just giving thanks to your parking guardian angel? Ever vacationed in OR and brought something back? Did you pay taxes on that t-shirt you bought?

Our infrastructure is highly funded by our gas tax, which as mentioned elsewhere is among the highest in the nation, there are plenty of gas stations throughout the Vancouver area which shows most people are supporting our state's infrastructure. There are also plenty of stores throughout the Vancouver area, which again shows that people are paying their sales tax.

Pointing out that there is the possibility of shopping income tax free is not the reason our state can't fund schools. Turn that outrage to the real issues that we face, which there are plenty of worthy causes to focus on.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:02 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I just don't understand the concept of enjoying all the infrastructure provided by sales taxes without paying them. Can't just pick and choose which laws you decide to follow.
Totally agree and glad you made a separate thread so this one can stay on topic.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 PM

429 posts, read 479,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Wallingford, Vashon came to mind, but yeah Tacoma is underrated and Olympia might fit, Evergreen College keeps the area filled with offbeat people. Not calling your family offbeat, but if you liked Brooklyn you might find similar people down there. Finally, I have an almost pathological problem with recommending the Vancouver area, Portland just seems more diverse, at least to me and I really love the idea of living income tax free in WA and making big ticket purchases in sales tax free OR. Just be warned that traffic is apparently really bad down there, not Seattle level of bad, but bad.
Try the Columbia City neighborhood in Seattle.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:34 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Look at the Bellingham area. Ticks all of your boxes, plus the traffic is nowhere as bad as Seattle. 54 miles to Vancouver B.C., 88 miles to Seattle, making weekend visits to either very doable.

//www.city-data.com/city/Bellin...ashington.html

Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Look at the Bellingham area. Ticks all of your boxes, plus the traffic is nowhere as bad as Seattle. 54 miles to Vancouver B.C., 88 miles to Seattle, making weekend visits to either very doable.

[URL]//www.city-data.com/city/Bellingham-Washington.html[/URL]
We love Bellingham. Considering retirement there one day...

Old 01-22-2017, 11:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
I lived in the South a while, last decade. I saw interracial couples, lots of progress.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Everyone comes here talking about what they want, but don't mention what they can afford. Frequently (in regards to Seattle) they are separate categories.

Otherwise, I think Bainbridge is fine, except I don't consider it "urban". I consider it "island".
Yes...gotcha. We are in a strange place. Even with three kids, we want small---a NYC two bedroom suites us. We have very few things. With that said, we sold two of our places in NYC so we aren't looking to skimp or get more for less. Maybe a condo, even if overpriced. Besides food, we keep our expenses very low. Also we are pro public school. So we would save the $64k per year we've been shelling out for private school.

So, what does an "island" mean? We lived in Maui and it felt like the mainland was very far away. Is that what you mean? Or, small town-ish?

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would add to that: Victory Heights, north and slightly east of Maple Leaf. It's a great neighborhood for kids; it has a rural feel but it's in the city; there's a nice park with a playground kids can walk to; grocery shopping is in walking distance to part of it; and it's quiet and park-like with lots of evergreens. Very convenient to Northgate Mall (I used to walk there, but with a family, you'd drive), and there are coffee shops within walking distance, and a few restaurants.

I don't know about the elementary and middle schools in the area, but Roosevelt is the HS whose district it's in, and it's considered the top HS in Seattle. West Seattle, OTOH, has beaches and large wooded parks for walking and enjoying Puget Sound views. Some people like the Madison Park neighborhood, on Lake Washington, which, I think, has a swimming area with lifeguard in the summers.

Bainbridge is also nice, and I've heard the schools are pretty good. There's easy access from there to the Olympic Peninsula for hiking.
Thank you! Even with three small kids, we are going for a small place. Budget isn't a major consideration. We have been very frugal for our working lives, living way below our means. Also, since we are pro-public school, we'd like to finally be a part of the system (and it will free up the money we've been paying for three private schools and I'd gladly put that toward taxes).

Thank you for your insights. We loved Roosevelt when I had a meeting there. I'm on a board to get urban gardens into schools.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:22 AM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
Vashon would probably be a great fit. It's a slightly off beat island, filled with people that rather put experiences in front of consumerism. Schooling should be good, they spend almost $30k per student vs the average school spending of about $12k and the average class side is about 20 students per teacher.

As long as you can handle using the ferries to get to big box stores, it's a pretty relaxed lifestyle.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Island life as close as Vashon | NW Neighborhood | The Seattle Times

Vashon Island...One day I drifted ashore and returned to stay

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2017 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area