Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:32 AM

17 posts, read 24,525 times

Advertisements

I am in the works of getting out to the Seattle area by the summer. I will be looking for a place hopefully around $1200 in rent. So I've been looking for the cheaper suburbs. I am curious to know about Des Moines. As far as things to do I am not too concerned because I can just drive to another town (I have heard the town is limited). I'm more focused on how safe it is and crime. What is it like to live in this particular town? It seems to be a cheaper area but is it a pretty run down place that's unsafe or can you find yourself having a nice time living there? I'm a 27 year old guy who's looking for a place to move with my pup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
If you are from Chicago, Des Moines will seem pretty tame, try not to live too close to a Pacific Hwy S. If bad things are going to happen (which isn't that frequent), they are probably going to happen there.

Question, where is your job going to be? You might want to seriously make a decision based on that, as our traffic can be tough out here. Kent for example (probably not much more expensive than Des Moines) has a "Sounder" commuter rail train.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
If you are from Chicago, Des Moines will seem pretty tame, try not to live too close to a Pacific Hwy S. If bad things are going to happen (which isn't that frequent), they are probably going to happen there.

Question, where is your job going to be? You might want to seriously make a decision based on that, as our traffic can be tough out here. Kent for example (probably not much more expensive than Des Moines) has a "Sounder" commuter rail train.
There's a good possibility that my work may actually be in Kent. But I won't know for certain for a couple more months when I can apply for positions in my company for transfer.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Yeah, I'd live in Kent. There is more of a town core there, things to do. The train creates opportunities to bounce up to Seattle and all the cultural things that make it great, they also run special trains for Seahawks, Sounders (soccer) and Mariners games I think.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:22 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Both Kent and Des Moines have good areas and bad areas. In either place, try not to live on Pacific Highway South(or right next to it). Des Moines by the water is nice. Kent has a lot more going on, but it's also much larger physically, so it can take 20 minutes or more to get from one end of Kent to another.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Ok. The idea of living by the water seemed nice to me and if I needed anything it's 10 mins from Kent. I heard I should look for places other than Kent as far as living. Maybe there are other southern suburbs in that vacinity that'll be in my budget. Since I don't know the area this is simply part of my research. I live in Naperville IL currently so it's definitely a large town but I'm not looking for the same thing. Just to be in reach of anything going on being close to work (if I do end up working in Kent) and within an hour from the city. Plus about $1200 rent if possible. Can anyone forward me to some nice informative stuff regarding living in Kent? And if any other towns come to mind I'm all ears. Trying to determine what's out there the best I can from a distance.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:47 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Look also at Burien, which has a good downtown with things to do and places to go. For cheaper rent, and a "funkier" downtown, try White Center/Top Hat. You'll be closer to Seattle than Des Moines, but not far from Kent.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 AM

63 posts, read 67,172 times
If you work at Kent, suggest you to check with Trulia.com to see the area's crime index, cities surrounding have good & bad but the report from trulia should help you a bit.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:59 AM

Renton downtown is a neat place and a little more vibrant, though you may have to settle for a studio apartment or up your budget a touch if you live near there.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 PM

I think I'm shifting my focus on Renton a little bit more actually. Maybe north or north east of the town. I'm finding some reasonably priced places out there. Maybe I can even find a duplex or a townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area