Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:23 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobtasb View Post
I really appreciate all the help. Those are some great suggestions and after all the responses I got, I must be extremely fortunate our company offers (and pays for) a valet parking garage.
"Fortunately" is a mild term. You still get to enjoy the gridlock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobtasb View Post
I really appreciate all the help. Those are some great suggestions and after all the responses I got, I must be extremely fortunate our company offers (and pays for) a valet parking garage.
That's awesome. I used to ride share with a close friend who (she paid for it herself) parked in her building's garage. Heated, valet parking. In and out privileges. Very nice.

I'm sure you have other bills, family responsibilities and whatnot, and don't want to overextend yourself, but if you can add a bit to your housing budget, that will open up more choices.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
$1800 a month for a house sounds like Everett or Tacoma. There are commuter trains (the Sounder) from both places to downtown but they wouldn't get you there early enough.
Ultimately, the issue is going to be that if a house is in order, that's going to put the housing search out of King County altogether. That means that even though the morning commute might not be so bad, the afternoon commute will be brutal. BRUTAL.

I work with people who commute from Snohomish and/or Pierce counties. Expect an afternoon commute of an hour one-way, and that's on a good day. If anything goes wrong, it gets a lot worse.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Ultimately, the issue is going to be that if a house is in order, that's going to put the housing search out of King County altogether. That means that even though the morning commute might not be so bad, the afternoon commute will be brutal. BRUTAL.

I work with people who commute from Snohomish and/or Pierce counties. Expect an afternoon commute of an hour one-way, and that's on a good day. If anything goes wrong, it gets a lot worse.
Too bad no workers can show up at noon and leave at 9pm. Not saying it would totally solve the commute problem, but my personal experience was commuting in the northerly direction was faster at those times.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 5,422 times
If your office is close to the water ferry areas, you may want to look at them (too expensive for car daily but could walk on/off) - Kingston, Bremerton, Poulsbo area you could probably find something good (Bainbridge is too expensive). Depending where living and ferry times would determine commute (1.5 hours or so or less depending on location, half would be sitting on ferry).

Old 01-25-2017, 06:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
The op wants to drive in because he needs his car during the day.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
If you had an extra car - maybe a used one - you could leave it in the garage at your work. Use it during the day when needed, but leave it there overnight. Maybe drive it home on weekends. But that would allow you to take mass transit most/all of the week. If you were to do that, I would suggest living on the Peninsula - Kitsap County. They are putting in a fleet of fast passenger ferries that will get you to Seattle in about 1/2 hour. Housing costs are lower over there, and traffic is less.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
If you had an extra car - maybe a used one - you could leave it in the garage at your work. Use it during the day when needed, but leave it there overnight. Maybe drive it home on weekends. But that would allow you to take mass transit most/all of the week. If you were to do that, I would suggest living on the Peninsula - Kitsap County. They are putting in a fleet of fast passenger ferries that will get you to Seattle in about 1/2 hour. Housing costs are lower over there, and traffic is less.
Has the idea of a hydrofoil ferry EVER been broached around Puget Sound?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:02 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Has the idea of a hydrofoil ferry EVER been broached around Puget Sound?
Who remembers these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_929

Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 PM

731 posts, read 935,847 times
Ferries don't go slow because they can't go faster. They go slow because the wake causes erosion. They had to slow down the Bremerton ferry because all of the waterfront owners in Bainbridge Island complained. Plus they like to make the poorer people from Bremerton gaze at them with envy and reverence for that much longer on their way into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area