Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:22 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times

Advertisements

Here's a hint. If you want to fake people out, don't use a claim that's objectively and provably false.

Here's another hint: Obama didn't block visa holders. Yeah, that's kind of important. (You can look up "visa" on the internet, but it's not the credit card thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
^

Next you'll spit the tired leftie go-to "we were all immigrants" line.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Are you talking about all immigrants or just refugees? My husband has been a greencard holder for 11 years . We cannot afford the cost ( the regular fee ) of getting his citizenship . After all this garbage we are seriously considering going back to Europe though . At this point he does not feel welcome nor safe . It's not an absolute but it is on the table .
I am sorry you feel this way.

I do agree with you on the point of the cost of citizenship. THAT should be taken off the table. I believe when I took the oath of citizenship in 1969 it cost me $10.

In fact, my daughter once asked why I could not become President and I had to tell her that I was a "$10 dollar American" and could not run for President. I pointed out to her that she was a "free American" and could run for President.

She thought about it and replied "that she was NOT a free American, but a priceless American". I quit worrying about her future then and there.

Being an American is "priceless". It took me a years to finally recognize that in spite of my "$10 status" I really was an American. It really has to do with the ideals of this country as expressed in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

That is the price of American citizenship. It is not about pledging allegiance to the United States. It is about pledging to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. THAT is more important than the citizenship fee.

America wants more than just a promise to live honestly in this country. America wants a commitment to the IDEAS that founded this country. We need to insist that immigrants and native born Americans recognize that it is the BELIEFS that founded this country that make America a special place.

Sorry, about the cost of becoming a citizen. Believe I would change it if I could and I have talked to many people about changing the financial requirement. I would INSIST on meeting the IDEAS of the country before becoming a citizen.

Try and find the money. Your children will thank you for it.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:17 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I am sorry you feel this way.

I do agree with you on the point of the cost of citizenship. THAT should be taken off the table. I believe when I took the oath of citizenship in 1969 it cost me $10.

In fact, my daughter once asked why I could not become President and I had to tell her that I was a "$10 dollar American" and could not run for President. I pointed out to her that she was a "free American" and could run for President.

She thought about it and replied "that she was NOT a free American, but a priceless American". I quit worrying about her future then and there.

Being an American is "priceless". It took me a years to finally recognize that in spite of my "$10 status" I really was an American. It really has to do with the ideals of this country as expressed in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

That is the price of American citizenship. It is not about pledging allegiance to the United States. It is about pledging to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. THAT is more important than the citizenship fee.

America wants more than just a promise to live honestly in this country. America wants a commitment to the IDEAS that founded this country. We need to insist that immigrants and native born Americans recognize that it is the BELIEFS that founded this country that make America a special place.

Sorry, about the cost of becoming a citizen. Believe I would change it if I could and I have talked to many people about changing the financial requirement. I would INSIST on meeting the IDEAS of the country before becoming a citizen.

Try and find the money. Your children will thank you for it.
Well said. I thought the same.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:31 PM

45 posts, read 45,217 times
Don't get caught up in the hysteria. This ban isn't to exclude Muslims from entering our country. It's a temporary measure to give the administration time to determine if our current vetting practices are sufficient. These countries were selected by the prior administration because their governments are not developed enough to provide their citizens with proper identification. You can't vet someone if you can't prove who they are, unfortunately (look at Somalia, it's stateless!). Now, some countries, like Iran, are on the list because they support terrorism. However, if I were to draft the ban I would have not included Iran. The people travelling in from Iran are typically pretty westernized. As for the Syrian refugees, unfortunately that is going to take longer to sort out. I agree with his proposal to create a safe place within Syria for them. It allows them to fight for their country instead of fleeing and hoping someone else solves their problems for them.

The process for greencard holders has been streamlined. They are simply interviewed, as would happen to anyone returning from one of these countries, and released if there is no derogatory information. The initial hangups were due to miscommunication in the field.

It's unfortunate what happened to travelers that were mid-air when the policy came into effect. It would have been prudent to give advance warning so people could make the proper arrangements. That, IMO was the biggest mistake.

On a separate note, as an immigrant, I am tired of people painting Trump as anti-immigration. He's not. He's simply anti-illegal immigration. It seems stupid that this needs pointing this out but for some reason people don't get it.

Lastly, I'm neither a republican nor democrat. I'm simply an American who is tired of partisan bickering. I'm tired of presidential terms in which nothing gets done because the two parties can't compromise.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:13 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renli3d View Post

Lastly, I'm neither a republican nor democrat. I'm simply an American who is tired of partisan bickering. I'm tired of presidential terms in which nothing gets done because the two parties can't compromise.
You are not alone in this sentiment.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 AM

63 posts, read 67,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
My heart bleeds for refugees in true need of help, like my Jewish relatives fleeing Russian pogroms to this country in the early 1900s. It bleeds for vulnerable people having their health insurance ripped away. It bleeds for the earth as science and environmental protection are cast aside. It bleeds for diplomacy as Steve Bannon is elevated to the National Security Council. Here's Stevie: "Are there racist people involved in the alt-right? Absolutely". A dark time is upon us, I can feel it. The darkness will pass, but not for some time. I feel sad, each day. We must walk on though.
Your imagination is funny. Go study the statistics from UN refugees registration data and see how many % are man vs woman, kids vs adults, then you come back and bleeds again.

I'll rather you cry for the homeless who already in our country (regardless they are citizens or undocumented), and freeze to death on the street in this seasons.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:53 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Are you talking about all immigrants or just refugees? My husband has been a greencard holder for 11 years . We cannot afford the cost ( the regular fee ) of getting his citizenship . After all this garbage we are seriously considering going back to Europe though . At this point he does not feel welcome nor safe . It's not an absolute but it is on the table .
First, I wish you and your family well, if they should return and you should immigrate to Europe.

The current refugee issue is rather new to the U.S., but not new to Europe, who have been dealing with this issue for years, including the current wave from the Middle East and North/East Africa.

Many European countries are now facing their own serious "refugee" problems and many of these countries have either stopped or greatly reduced the amount of refugees that they will now except for immigration. Also, the citizens of many of these countries are now up in arms and the governments that were once "pro refugee" are in trouble in very liberal countries like Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark and Germany. Many of these countries now have been drained of State funded social programs/benefits, not allowing many of their own native born citizens from gaining the same benefits, that they paid years of taxes for since they're simply tapped out. Some of the more serious issues are like the increase of violent crimes, like rape, assaults and robbery have hit new heights, causing concerns with many of their own native born citizens AND legal immigrants to arm themselves, were legal, like in Austria. Many families, including married and single women who for the first time, have purchased firearms for protection due to the increase of violent crimes in once very peaceful countries... In fact, the gun shops in Austria ran out of firearms for the first time ever back in 2016.

In one incident, a male adult refugee raped a 10 year old boy at a public pool and his defense was that he was suffering from a sexual emergency... This happened in Austria. The German government was also hammered when in Cologne, last year during their New Years celebrations. Many German females were sexually assaulted and robbed by large groups of refugee males, which the local government tried to play down, but the German public demanded the truth and action. During this years New Years celebrations in Cologne, the police set up check points and had a show of force by flooding the area with riot control police. Sweden is now the rape Capitail of Europe and Sweden has never been known for such high levels of violent crimes or for any real crime at all. Just last week, three male refugees raped a female "live" on Facebook in Sweden and was only stopped when the police finally arrived and put an end to it.

This doesn't include all the large scale terrorist attacks in France, Belgium, Germany. And all the smaller attacks that didn't make it to the international news media.

You don't hear the U.S. media talking about this and very briefly, even after a mass casualty attack like the last two that happened in France. Heck, even after the attack in Orlando, FL., the media was rather quick to let it fade away without questioning or really looking into the cause of this attack... I can gaurantee that if it was some White American guy that shot up this or any other Gay club, the media would still be talking about it.

Yes, crime is everywhere and caused by citizens and non-citizens alike, but why would "we" bring in more problems when the country is already dealing, unsuccessfully, with its own out of control levels of crime in many of our cities like Chicago or Baltimore? I'm very pro immigration, but under the current laws that we have in place to control the amounts that are legally allowed to enter the country each year. I just have a problem with individuals who are simply acting on pure emotions, not facts... Many people will always point to Europe for its progressive views, but when these views don't fit their emotions and goals, they tend to shut it down and act as if it has never happened. Which "I" find to be a very sad thing if somebody can't acknowledge a truth, any truth, that can be backed up with real facts, not wishes or a person's best hopes.

I know I'll be labeled as a "Trumper" or some "Right wing racist," but the truth is I'm mixed Black and married to a non-White immigrant from a Third World country.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:26 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
My heart bleeds for refugees in true need of help, like my Jewish relatives fleeing Russian pogroms to this country in the early 1900s.
Israel built a wall along its southern border with Egypt, to block African (non-Jewish) refugees from entering Israel.

Israel won't accept hundreds of thousands of Syrian (non-Jewish) refugees from entering Israel, even though Israel shares borders with Syria. At most, Israel accepted only 100 young orphans (not hordes of adult males, as Europe does), who can be safely assimilated into a Jewish Israel.

Israel insists on maintaining its Jewish majority character. Yet the Jewish Israeli Barbara Spectre insists that similarly small European nations, such as Sweden, accept hordes of young (mostly men) Muslim refugees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Lerner_Spectre

Why don't the U.S., Canada, Australia, and Europe have the same right to maintain their majority character? How is it that Japan, China, Saudi Arabia, Israel, even Mexico, can maintain highly restrictive immigration laws, to maintain their ethnic or religious character, and no one condemns them for it. But if any white, Christian majority nation attempts to bloc non-white/non-Christian refugees, it's racist?

Why the double standard?

Aren't double standards ... racist?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:28 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
You're honestly using Israel as a success story??

As for your question, not that I'm defending those countries, but for us, immigration and diversity are at the core of American character. This has never been a monoculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area