Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
But does expensive mean homelessness? I mean I could understand people downsizing, moving back in with parents, having to share a studio with 1 or 2 other people. But straight up homelessness is not caused by housing and rent prices. It is a mental issue, I mean seriously, wouldn't a sane person do anything possible to not live on the streets? Here comes the angry replies....lol

That is my theory.
..and I can tell you from exp you would be wrong . I am not angry , just telling you whats going on out here in the land of sudden lay offs+ an illness I just had surgery for last Thurs and my husband has had a mechanical illness since Jan . In stages like this or suddenly , can easily spell homelessness. Again this is from exp . I have no furniture but a chaise Lounge and 2 beds and 2 TV's+my internet . I used to pay $750 for what I now pay $1550( includes utilities) . Different area ( I down sized there too ) but pretty much same apt ,last year it was $1070. Barely - BARELY keeping a roof over our heads . The lease ended after the lay off and we did not have enough cash to move .

I am very depressed and anxious but so is the entire family of 3 . It is not a catastrophic mental illness - at this point anyway - where we do not know what is going on and would like to be homeless or would not NOTICE we are homeless. I have told several here that the DHS worker when we went to sign up for all services possible that homelessness would be FUN and ONLY A BUMP IN THE ROAD I really thought i was going to faint . DHS workers should never tell anyone that .

We do not do anything until we can save enough to leave . My youngest daughter wants to graduate with her friends and loves her guitar teacher , the only expense we have - she is going to music school after HS and thats 2 years away . It is very hard to manage .

The thing that bothers me most is that we were absolutely hounded by a larger aviation co for several years to come from our last job in Texas to COME HERE. This was not some unplanned adventure and we have lived here for years. The co had alot of lay offs and pay reductions for every one until the last one at Christmas - not quite what was in the contract they offered him - and we are over 50 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 07:29 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Why won't Seattle build Container apartments/studios/dorms for low income housing? Such as these ones
https://youtu.be/Q3QaX6jmCuI

They're not the best looking, but at least they are cheap and quick to build.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 AM

387 posts, read 358,211 times
what is that extemely powerful chemical smell in the wake of some homeless encampments downtown? it smells like industrial strength lysol or mustard gas or something.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 AM

162 posts, read 199,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
But does expensive mean homelessness? I mean I could understand people downsizing, moving back in with parents, having to share a studio with 1 or 2 other people. But straight up homelessness is not caused by housing and rent prices. It is a mental issue, I mean seriously, wouldn't a sane person do anything possible to not live on the streets? Here comes the angry replies....lol

That is my theory.
My apartment building had to be rehabbed so we were all shown the door at the same time...so there I was in my 20's, employed in Seattle but with no place to live very suddenly. I stayed in shelters half the week and the other half I lived in a hotel. I was gainfully employed and was making ends meet but only about $20 extra a month so when my apartment disappeared I was homeless. I had just enough to pay for a hotel room a few nights each week. My family is big on self sufficiency and had already helped me out the year previous so I felt I couldn't ask them for help. My friends were all young and couldn't take on another roommate, they let me stay the night from time to time but the landlords usually noticed if I stayed beyond a night.

One night the shelter was closed suddenly, it was not close to my payday so I found myself sleeping under a tree for a few nights. I went to work one day and my boss chewed me out for being late and I lost it....and confessed I was late because you can't plug in an alarm clock under a tree. It turned out my work had a foundation that helps it's employees through tough times and they paid for me to get into a new studio apartment. The difference between their help and homelessness? I could afford the rent, but not first, last, and deposit without some time to save up. It's not just the rent price, it's the initial "Buy in" to sign the contract on an apartment that caused my homelessness (and a bit of bad luck and not having a rainy day fund then).

That was 20 years ago, I am solidly middle class now but at the time I was young and trying very hard to make ends meet.

Am I saying I was an example of why everyone is homeless now? No, but I do think part of it is how much you have to come up with just to get into an apartment initially. There are about 100 other reasons from mental illness to addiction to lack of insurance when a major catastrophe hits. Part of mine was pride, I wanted to make it on my own and I hated to ask for help yet again. In answer to your question; I did do everything at the time to stay off the streets that I could. In hindsight I should have saved money, I should've dated more responsible people, I should have done so much differently...but I was young so I didn't plan ahead then.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
..and I can tell you from exp you would be wrong . I am not angry , just telling you whats going on out here in the land of sudden lay offs+ an illness I just had surgery for last Thurs and my husband has had a mechanical illness since Jan . In stages like this or suddenly , can easily spell homelessness. Again this is from exp . I have no furniture but a chaise Lounge and 2 beds and 2 TV's+my internet . I used to pay $750 for what I now pay $1550( includes utilities) . Different area ( I down sized there too ) but pretty much same apt ,last year it was $1070. Barely - BARELY keeping a roof over our heads . The lease ended after the lay off and we did not have enough cash to move .

I am very depressed and anxious but so is the entire family of 3 . It is not a catastrophic mental illness - at this point anyway - where we do not know what is going on and would like to be homeless or would not NOTICE we are homeless. I have told several here that the DHS worker when we went to sign up for all services possible that homelessness would be FUN and ONLY A BUMP IN THE ROAD I really thought i was going to faint . DHS workers should never tell anyone that .

We do not do anything until we can save enough to leave . My youngest daughter wants to graduate with her friends and loves her guitar teacher , the only expense we have - she is going to music school after HS and thats 2 years away . It is very hard to manage .

The thing that bothers me most is that we were absolutely hounded by a larger aviation co for several years to come from our last job in Texas to COME HERE. This was not some unplanned adventure and we have lived here for years. The co had alot of lay offs and pay reductions for every one until the last one at Christmas - not quite what was in the contract they offered him - and we are over 50 .

Sorry, Dutchess. I am currently unemployed in Kansas City and just put in for Unemployment Insurance. I lost my job because I didn't score well enough on the RPSGT Exam. My wife found an online tutor for me and I have had 6 hour-long sessions with her on Skype. She is doing a good job preparing me to re-take the Exam. The industry glorifies the RPSGT such that employers hardly believe anyone without one can even run a sleep study (which is not true at all). So we have some savings and soon (early June or so) some U.I. ta add ta that, but yeah, these times certainly suck. I had studied while I worked for about 4 months for that Exam, but it's peppered with so much information that usually doctors need and utilize that I was stymied by it. I am applying for jobs here and there and we are fixin' ta go get our 13 y/o Pomeranian a steam vaporizer for his tracheal crush cough. Poor boy - it's getting worse and we just YouTubed it and you can vaporize Euculyptis Oil and it's supposed ta do wonders for dogs with this condition. Also, they recommend some Chondroitin tablets to rebuild that connective tissue in there.

If your hubby could finish his RN classes on a fast-track he could get RN work soon - I spose he's already taking them as fast as he can, eh? Sending healing wishes to you guys from the country's breadbasket.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Oh Elko ...
I hate to say this but so everyone knows like you do that life can just be so .... IDK .
He had the highest grades IN THE CLASS but failed to be able to finish the clinicals due to hearing loss from the 30 years in aviation.
He found out yesterday and is crushed . We had to pay $275 out of pocket we didn't have/ or know we needed to have for his blood/TB test . Of course also yesterday 6 hours before this news , I woke up at 3 am to catch this 170.00 stethoscope for nurses with slight hearing impairment on Ebay that Id been searching for everywhere and paid for that with what little TANF we get - I was desperate and it's for things you need . He got all the lower numbers correct but the upper numbers were 1-3 numbers off .

I am not sure whats next . He still caths 2-3 X's daily , but I think he is going to have to go out of state to go back to aviation for awhile for the money either to move or try again .
We will have to pay the whole thing over this time . We are all sad shocked and frankly devastated . We like to hang out together too so this is just not good . I would really just like to move but daughter is in very good shape at school , her guitar teacher and is so close to making it into that music school . IDK what he is going to do . He cannot get hired here even as day labor. I have applied at a million places .

He was looking so forward to this. He would like to retake the courses but we will have to pay for them this time so he will have to leave Wa state - you know how Aviation is , there is only one place here that does what he does and everyone is still laid off . His Euro A&P doesn't translate here so that knocks him also - valid but unusable . So he has to stay with MRO's here in the states. I think I am going to try the vaporizer/Eucalyptus thing with this also . I love Poms - poor little guy .

Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 AM

450 posts, read 549,995 times
Dutchesscottonpuff,

If your husband has already put in the time and money to get through part of RN program or prerequisites then he is probably very well positioned to quickly get into the Medical Assisting field since many of the required courses are the same. Has he looked into that, so that the investment isn't a bust?

Local community colleges run MA programs that take about 18 months but with what he's already done perhaps he just needs one or two more and then can immediately work as a MA? It is often a step on the ladder to higher paying healthcare positions later on and would put a steady paycheck your way quickly.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimo1 View Post
I do hate the white middle age elite that give them money from the tax payers and from personal pockets and don't see they are just making the problem worse!

I came here from europe with $5k in my name, rented a cheap 450/month house in Puyallup and bought a 1000 dollar car and worked in it help desk. Now I live in a better location and bought my first home. I would also have take a job cleaning streets or lifting rocksl if help desk not worked out. Trust me there is a job for every human and if living on the stret it's by choice.

Do not ever give them money, you are making it worse not better !
I do wonder why the homeless are no put to work. In many foreign countries they are. Such as using weedeaters for MILES (KM) of Highway trimming!! (in 100F+ (33C+) heat...)

Seattle 'enables' homeless, but has additional issue, in that Seattle homeless have a very "Entitlement" / aggressive attitude, (too much Coffee?... Portland homeless are considerably more mellow)

Dangerous.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
Dutchesscottonpuff,

If your husband has already put in the time and money to get through part of RN program or prerequisites then he is probably very well positioned to quickly get into the Medical Assisting field since many of the required courses are the same. Has he looked into that, so that the investment isn't a bust?

Local community colleges run MA programs that take about 18 months but with what he's already done perhaps he just needs one or two more and then can immediately work as a MA? It is often a step on the ladder to higher paying healthcare positions later on and would put a steady paycheck your way quickly.
Thats what it was , I just haven't mentioned it and elko knew he was trying to get to that RN one way or another , it was his CNA program that he was supposed to be finishing to go to a CNA to RN bridge program at a hospital here and he couldn't pass that one test to get to the clinicals to be able to go into the working bridge program . It takes a month . They told him he will have to do it again . He can do it again ,, but at the moment he is REALLY upset and embarrassed and that stethoscope I bought him .. jeez.. They told him to come back when he got it . They all liked him and he had such a great time learning . He put in for an aviation job he had been invited to in Kentucky . This makes me very sad . Nothing I can do but wait and try to encourage him . He is sick of being out of work . Since this morning he did that and I applied for him at 2 machine shops and an exotic metals shop and one staffing service .

To the poster that suggested weedeating , thats fine but it wont keep anyone in any dwelling I know of here but maybe a shelter

Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Dutchesscottonpuff,

Thanks for this suggestion, misscross. Dutchess - what d'ya think of this idea? Might he try Medical Assistant work?

Oh, I didn't see your above post before I posted this one, Dutchess. I feel bad for you guys - it sounds like he's a good airplane mechanic, too. I wouldn't know where to start with my old Boeing job, as far as doing that work now. I was a Technical Illustrator - Eng. - Boeing trained us to draw using their own formula - I spose I could've tried Ford or GM as a Drafter after the 2nd Boeing layoff in 2003 - but didn't think the Boeing skills would transfer - so I re-trained as a Respiratory Therapist.

Best wishes - I'm looking at an ad for a large city in Texas doing Sleep Tech. work - and Tucson has a new opening in the same line of work. I have a possibility for a Sleep Tech. opening in Tucson I've already had a Skype interview for - I'd love going back to the desert SW again.

Best wishes - it is tough, Dutchess. It's Antony Robbins time, because "in the day of distress your power will be meager."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area