Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 2,209 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am a current environmental studies student at a 4 year uni, I have been considering pursuing a career as a Park ranger/in the parks department after I graduate. This summer I am considering applying to be a Park Aide but, I have little experience with outdoor maintenance, and I am not in great shape (never did any sports, I would say I am average in strength/endurance for other girls my age). I am worried if I apply, and get the position I won't be able to keep up physically even pushing myself because, the majority of other people who apply/have been aides before are athletic and in very good shape. I love the outdoors, and want to work in conservation but I am not a frequent hiker/biker/mountain climber and the idea of jumping in with more experienced individuals intimidates me. Any suggestions on what to do? Experiences from Park rangers/aides? Comments on other possible positions? ANYTHING helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 03:10 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
How 'bout start cycling and hiking - it doesn't require a lot of skill and you'll be surprised how fast you get in good shape. Go slow at first so you don't get discouraged.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnpgn View Post
Hello!
I am a current environmental studies student at a 4 year uni, I have been considering pursuing a career as a Park ranger/in the parks department after I graduate. This summer I am considering applying to be a Park Aide but, I have little experience with outdoor maintenance, and I am not in great shape (never did any sports, I would say I am average in strength/endurance for other girls my age). I am worried if I apply, and get the position I won't be able to keep up physically even pushing myself because, the majority of other people who apply/have been aides before are athletic and in very good shape. I love the outdoors, and want to work in conservation but I am not a frequent hiker/biker/mountain climber and the idea of jumping in with more experienced individuals intimidates me. Any suggestions on what to do? Experiences from Park rangers/aides? Comments on other possible positions? ANYTHING helps!
What do you do in the outdoors, i.e. how do you know you like it?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What do you do in the outdoors, i.e. how do you know you like it?
I really enjoy leisure hikes focused on discovery/observation or general field work like taking water samples, so mostly academic based. I don't like skiing or rock climbing so I would say I am more of a bird watcher vs an outdoorsy type.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
How 'bout start cycling and hiking - it doesn't require a lot of skill and you'll be surprised how fast you get in good shape. Go slow at first so you don't get discouraged.
I plan on going on some beginner hikes bi-weekly with a friend starting next month, I will definitely look into cycling tho!

Old 02-20-2017, 05:54 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
I worked as a park aide when I had to escape my career for awhile, and I was already middle-aged & needed a complete change.

There was some manual labor involved...I cleaned bathrooms, cleaned campsites, emptied trash/recycling, emptied the iron ranger (I had to wrestle with that thing, but I mastered it), hauled firewood bundles for campers to buy. I also helped a little with trail maintenance, and had to do minor repairs, like fix toilets, window screens, the ancient computer printer. But, the physical stuff made me stronger.

There were also administative tasks like keeping the reservation system up to date for our area, collecting fees, answering the phone, assigning campsites & balancing the receipts at shift end. I also answered the public's questions regarding trails, thing to see & do, which was fun, as I was very familiar with the area.

I didn't make much more than minimum wage & the job was seasonal; but I enjoyed it...met a lot of great people. I also became well-acquainted with the agency & had inside information regarding future job openings, agency plans, etc. And for me, the job was just transitional.

I think it would be an excellent opportunity for you to kickstart a career in forestry, get experience & make some connections. You should definitely look into it.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:29 PM

Thank you for your insight, I'm very interested in forestry and State Parks especially as sources of information, and conservation efforts. I submitted my application despite being worried so wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area