Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times

Advertisements

We've lived here only a year (in Redmond Ridge) but know a few people who live in Woodinville and they love it. We've also spent time in Woodinville just running amuck. We found streams awhile back (in the fall) looking for spawning salmon. So much fun for kids like us from Texas! Woodinville has some really beautiful areas. I have also heard really good things about the schools. Sometimes it just makes sense to close a school, so don't let news of a closure worry you. Lots of new developments are going up everywhere and that always plays a role in the school systems - closing some, building new ones, switching things around... it's a constant. As routine and expected as the heavy traffic is here! Just be sure to keep good tunes, healthy snacks, and water with you in your car at all times.

We prefer the Woodinville Public Library over the Redmond Library (it's all part of the King County Library System...). I get a better feeling in Woodinville than I do in Redmond for some reason - it feels more earthy, more relaxed somehow. Maybe because the areas in Woodinville I have spent time in were older more established neighborhoods... Redmond feels either all new construction (after they've clearcut massive amounts of trees and displaces hundreds of birds and animals... sad... but it's happening everywhere...) or old but under construction to me... I feel like I'm living in a constant sonstruction zone in Redmond. Honestly I don't care for Redmond much and I think that's been my negativity problem since we've moved here.

This link might be of interest: Redmond Neighborhood Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Oh and cats - I think the problem people have with King County (vs Snohomish, anyway) is usually to do with the higher property taxes. Lots of people have suggested to us that when we are ready to buy - we buy in Snohomish so that we save ourselves a bunch of money. We have children, though, and the schools are better here in King County. You get what you pay for!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:04 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Redfin is a "competitor" but their maps are the best! And in addition to the proprietary MLS stuff I use available to agents, Redfin's maps are very useful, though they post stuff a day later than the MLS, which has no effect in a slow market.
Good to know, Ira, good to know. Thank you!!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We have children, though, and the schools are better here in King County. You get what you pay for!
YahHUH! You're so right about the schools, and if higher taxes get better schools, well -- duh!

Elf, your info about Redmond feeling like a perpetual construction zone is so useful. My cats and I moved into Bridle Trails in Bellevue early in 1990, and "downtown Redmond" (Leary) felt like this little dopey western mom-n-pop town with insanity for a town plan. Now - BAH! Where did that sweet place go???

I agree completely with your description of Woodinville. Your description is delightful for a delightful place!!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,123 times
Thank you. Just the kind of "local" knowledge I was looking for. I feel the same way about new developments- depressing.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Hey "Tolt" -- are YOU responsible for our water supply??? :-) :-)

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
To answer your question, I think we don't often mention Woodinville because most prospective Microsoft employees are asking for short commute times to MS. Depending on location in Woodinville, a commute to the main MS campus could be 45 minutes, even more. But it's a delightful place to live with many different kinds of housing options from older to new. Used to be a sort of hippie area outside of Seattle, back in the mists of history. Now it's very eclectic and suburban with touches of rural at the edges.
I still disagree with your commute estimate here. I can bike from Woodinville to main campus in less than 45 minutes. But I don't want to get into an argument.

We recently moved from Woodinville and we loved it. I would stay to the east side of Woodinville which make traffic easier and you'll get more value for your money. We were very happy with the school district. Our kids went to Bear Creek Elementary and we couldn't be happier.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 AM

7 posts, read 27,208 times
Why did you leave Woodinville? Did you move out of state?
Any thoughts as to why student enrollment continues to drop?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma mia View Post
Why did you leave Woodinville? Did you move out of state?
Any thoughts as to why student enrollment continues to drop?
I moved to Texas for a a job. If I was still in WA, I wouldn't have moved from Woodinville.

The enrollment issue kinda mystifies me. It is actually a problem across the entire 405 corridor apparently. With all the new construction going on you would think that the student population would be going up but for the three schools around Woodpile-Duvall road and Avondale the student population has stabilized. I know that in my neighborhood there were a fair amount of kids ranging in ages from babies to young adults. It felt like more younger families where moving into the neighborhood as the empty nest folks left. So I don't really know.

I do think that they made the correct choice regarding school closure, since Woodin is the oldest and most run down school. Both Bear Creek and Cottage Lake were recently redone. Also, apparently the Northshore school district owns a fairly large amount of land that is vacant, planned for new schools. So I'm not sure why they don't sell off some of that land before closing schools, but I am not a politician or a lawyer.

</flame>
Washington state needs to commit to funding the school system better. I now live in Texas and our property tax rate is ~2.65%. While the amount sucks, at least a majority of it goes to schools and you can see a difference. I don't mind paying taxes for Schools and Libraries... I just don't want to spend taxes on boondogles like the rail system for the Seatle that serves the few.
</flame off>

Anyway, I'm happy to answer any questions you or others have. They are my opinion only so take them with a grain of salt.

-Dave

Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 PM

56 posts, read 238,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma mia View Post
Thank you all. Would you generally say that all of the good schools are facing overcrowding right now? I'm talking in the Northshore and Lake Washington districts? If you had up to about $575,000 and would like a house built in the past 15 years (and a close commute to MS - 30 minutes), what town would you choose? Again, schools need to be good.
I would look in Duvall for that price range or Redmond Ridge. You aren't going to get much for that in Redmond or Woodinville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area