Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 11:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is White Center a decent neighborhood? My info may be out-of-date, but I was told it was ghetto, and to be avoided. It's definitely well-priced, though, with some well-maintained properties.
As Seattle proper got more and more expensive, pricing a lot of regular middle class people from buying there, some flocked to White Center, making it a lot nicer than it used to be. It's still not Laurelhurst, but now it's a combination of artsy, multi ethnic, and ghetto. I like it. It's got some of the best Mexican food and some of the best pizza in Seattle. Plus I get the impression that it's going to be annexed by the city of Seattle at some point in the next few years, which should further improve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
I agree about White Center being funky, but disagree about Seattle annexing it. Don't think that will happen: this is largely due to the tax structure of the area.

As things currently stand, Seattle makes more money NOT annexing White Center than annexing it. Seattle was effectively offered a tax break a year ago to annex White Center and it still has not annexed the area because White Center would cost more money to operate than they want to spend.

Burien desperately wants to annex White Center, but the offer gets voted down.

Hence the current status of White Center being unincorporated.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
I really don't know which streets out there are nicer or safer since I go to the commercial parts. Those are funky. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the streets in Top Hat which adjoins White Ctr. It hasn't had the best rep and is probably cheaper but it actually seemed pretty nice.

You can check crime stats by address and that's probably a good thing to do. We did that when we moved to Arbor Hts. Friends were pulling long faces and muttering darkly about housing projects and Delridge. (This was at least two or three booms ago)

Old 03-06-2017, 08:41 PM

56 posts, read 63,911 times
Well, maybe some of the other commenters were right when they said the problems I mentioned were common to most major cities. Just seems like Seattle has the usual problems to a greater degree these days than in previous years.

I won't be sorry to leave. But I will miss it. Yes.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Well, maybe some of the other commenters were right when they said the problems I mentioned were common to most major cities. Just seems like Seattle has the usual problems to a greater degree these days than in previous years.

I won't be sorry to leave. But I will miss it. Yes.
Good luck in your new town!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I agree about White Center being funky, but disagree about Seattle annexing it. Don't think that will happen: this is largely due to the tax structure of the area.

As things currently stand, Seattle makes more money NOT annexing White Center than annexing it. Seattle was effectively offered a tax break a year ago to annex White Center and it still has not annexed the area because White Center would cost more money to operate than they want to spend.

Burien desperately wants to annex White Center, but the offer gets voted down.

Hence the current status of White Center being unincorporated.
The annexation process takes forever. However, I'm willing to wager a beer that White Center will be annexed by Seattle. I might be an old man before I'm able to collect on it.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Didn't Burien also intro a possible merger there?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 PM

40 posts, read 52,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Or were you forced by the absurd change in affordability? (My question)
I haven't moved yet, but I'm happy to read the opinions in this thread. I lived in Olympia most of my life. I knew I would want to leave the state eventually, mostly because of the weather. I moved to Kirkland 6 1/2 years ago as a baby step to see how I would do living somewhere where I knew nobody.

Now I'm ready to move on.

The weather is a growing factor for me. I am not built for this. I need sunshine.

Additionally, the traffic has become unbearable. It used to take me an hour and 15 minutes to drive to Olympia to visit friends. Now it takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours. So I just don't bother anymore.

While I have made some friends here, it's been difficult and I've made very few new friends in the past few years. I was really fortunate when I first moved here in that I fell in with a great group of people due to my living in a huge apartment complex (which is not my style at all, but I'm glad that I did, or I wouldn't have made those friends).

And now I'm getting to the point that I just can't justify the cost any longer. The job market has not been good to me since I moved up here. I've been a little unlucky in my jobs to say the least. While I've managed to pay off all of my debt and even get some money saved (because I sacrifice things like cable and manicures and eating out), I feel that I would thrive better elsewhere. It is just too expensive to live here, particularly in a single income scenario.

So for me, I am looking forward to a change. I don't know where or when it will be, but it will happen. I will miss my friends and our beautiful summers, but nothing else.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:23 AM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
After a lot of thought on the matter, I have decided I that I'm planning to leave Seattle next year (More likely than not at least, depends on my job search/evaluation of cities I plan to visit first). I'm choosing to leave for the same reasons as many others are, but I'll elaborate below..

Weather - I used to find the grey and rain to be relaxing. Finally burned out on that, and the dark winters.

The "Freeze" - Up for debate of course, but I feel it's real, and it makes for a very challenging time trying to make new friends and date. People I've come across in other cities just seem friendlier, more outgoing, and easy-going overall. Even in places not really known for being friendly or polite.

Skyrocketing COL - I don't see any sign of relief in sight either (I expect it to get worse). Seattle is well on it's way to becoming a member of the "elite COL" club, and it's become an incentive for me to consider living in places that I think I'd rather live, that I previously wrote off as being too expensive.

Traffic - Awful, and only going to get worse. ST3 will take far too long to implement to really help things here.

Don't get me wrong, there's many things I love (and will miss) about Seattle, but I definitely see change on the horizon for me, with how it's changed/I've changed as a person.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM

231 posts, read 587,492 times
I left 3 years ago for the same reasons as everyone else... Weather (I fricking love the sun and heat), traffic and col. I'm in South Florida and absolutely LOVE IT down here. I'll never move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area