Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:56 PM

158 posts, read 296,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Why are you so concerned about a mayor that is not yours? I wish more out of towners felt this way then maybe my rent wouldn't rise $300 a year.
I have been visiting the Seattle area since 1986. At one point I was spending about nine days a year there. Did that for many years. I have always kept tabs on the city and at one point called it my second home. But the last several years has brought about a lot of change to the city. It's isn't the same town I fell in love with 31 years ago. I will still continue to visit the PNW, but will avoid the city as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burltodenver View Post
DanG05200

What a joke of a person, comes onto another cities' forum, blasts it, then never posts again. What do you do with your life dude? What a nobody. Who has the time to obsess about negativity? I really feel sorry for you.
I have plenty of posts in this forum and most aren't "about negativity". I just have a personal opinion about your whacko mayor. Don't get your undies in a wad if I don't respond right away. I don't have the time to troll this forum 24/7. And please don't feel sorry for me. You have no reason to. One post is not an obsession. I've spent enough tourist dollars over the years and spent plenty of time in Seattle. So save your insults for someone else.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 AM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Well, he's convened committees and studies, I don't see that he's done a lot for affordable housing yet. Parks, yes, but that was a levy and his husband runs the parks departments, so that isn't entirely him. He's grandstanding for effect right now, but basically he's an ok mayor.
He also proposed and the voters passed the $290 million 2016 Housing Levy (over 7 years) last August, doubling the previous levy (2009), with a 68% YES vote.

Quote:
  • $201 million in rental housing production and preservation;
  • $42 million in maintenance and operating costs for levy-funded buildings;
  • $11.5 million for homelessness prevention and housing stability services;
  • $9.5 million in assistance for low-income homeowners;
  • an estimated $26 million in administrative costs
The measure would be funded through property taxes — an average of $122 per household, with an exception for households making less than $40,000 per year.
https://kcts9.org/programs/vote-2016...levy-explained

He's now proposing a $55 million property levy to fund homelessness services, on top of the $11.5 million included in the Housing levy, that will go to the voters next August.

The reality is that some people don't like him because 1) they disagree with him politically and 2) he's effective.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,202,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG05200 View Post
I have plenty of posts in this forum and most aren't "about negativity". I just have a personal opinion about your whacko mayor. Don't get your undies in a wad if I don't respond right away. I don't have the time to troll this forum 24/7. And please don't feel sorry for me. You have no reason to. One post is not an obsession. I've spent enough tourist dollars over the years and spent plenty of time in Seattle. So save your insults for someone else.
The Seattle cheerleaders are a funny bunch, ANY small criticism of their "sanctuary" and they are frothing and furiously defending the city posting links and irrelevant news articles like their lives depended on it.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
The Seattle cheerleaders are a funny bunch, ANY small criticism of their "sanctuary" and they are frothing and furiously defending the city posting links and irrelevant news articles like their lives depended on it.
So I see.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,392 times
Well, I've criticized Mayor Bloomberg of NYC, when he was in office, and I live here. Some of the things politicians do are noteworthy.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Well, I've criticized Mayor Bloomberg of NYC, when he was in office, and I live here. Some of the things politicians do are noteworthy.
Yeah I don't know what burltoDenver's issue was. Having a bad day I guess.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Quote:
Where is the proof that Seattle's economy is "false"? For a data analyst that should have been easy to back up but when asked, complete silence.

It's odd that people that don't live here would want to come here to comment negatively, whether it's our mayor or anything else. Vacation here? By all means, vacation somewhere else. I don't feel compelled to posts negatively in the Bay Area and I'm there all the time, (far more than nine days). Why someone that doesn't live here feels their opinion on our mayor is noteworthy is what is really odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG05200 View Post
Yeah I don't know what burltoDenver's issue was. Having a bad day I guess.
No, they were just noting what I thought as well and I was not having a bad day. Our mayor has zero effect on someone that doesn't live here and by all means, there are other places to live.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:02 AM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
What irrelevant news articles? Seems to me, like King Trump, you're just attacking the messenger because you don't like the message.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,392 times
What are they doing with all the marijuana tax money? I'm seeing a worsening of the homeless situation and the roads really need improvement. That, combined with this crazy proposed tax on sugary beverages (yes, I mainly disapprove of a sin tax on those, but my concern is mostly with the amount: two cents an ounce) makes me look askance at him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area