Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

Good luck getting rid of police and fire departments because they only "protect us from ourselves"...

Like I said, unless you're supporting actual solutions to real problems, I'm not listening.

The "scum class" - nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Yes clearly the police and fire departments and soda taxes offer equal value to society.

The real solution: no more handouts = no more FSA. It may take a while but we'd be better off in the long run.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yes clearly the police and fire departments and soda taxes offer equal value to society.

The real solution: no more handouts = no more FSA. It may take a while but we'd be better off in the long run.
We? Didn't you say you don't live here anymore? Why care about Seattle's mayor?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We? Didn't you say you don't live here anymore? Why care about Seattle's mayor?
As little time as possible. I still have a rental unit in the city (for now), as well as family. And "we" applies universally, the over-reliance on the government to take care of all of life's little problems like overeating is not just a Seattle problem.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

I don't think you can find sugar in the drug descriptions in physicians desk ref.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I'm not necessarily for the Mayor's sugary beverage tax, but am suspicious of simple "knee jerk" reactions against it. Unless you support real actions to address the obesity and diabetes epidemics, I'm not listening.

In other words, you're a "belief junkie". (Is "No New Taxes" a cult?)

I believe in "creative disbelief".

I doubt I could be described as a belief junkie since I was inducted into the aforementioned unnamed cult as a mere child. (You were a bit snarky there. )

Nor have I ever said no new taxes. (That's not my stance. I have occasionally voted for new tax levies and such after considering the matter. I actually read voter pamphlets and watch the news.) Whether I'm right or wrong, I hold opinions after thinking the thing over. (Overturning indoctrination would be a possible example of this.)

My stance is to be wary of governmental (and employer) interference in citizens' lives. Doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. We need laws for obvious reasons. We even need new ones sometimes. Including taxes.

I just think sin taxes on things that aren't drugs is a slippery slope and I'm seeing lots of inconsistencies there. One really could lobby to tax all non essential unhealthy items. They're not taxing candy! And I have said that although I don't really approve of taxing pop and other sugary drinks, I could almost be ok with it for a lower amount. A dime or two or even three on a six pack would yield a lotta bux. And it might scare less people into running over to Shoreline, Burien, etc to buy those beverages, cuz for ten or twenty cents or so, why bother? But for a buck and a half- well, may be a bit tough for our city to generate as much money that way.

I also think this thing with the sin taxes could be a tiny bit like gun control. I used to be against it. I thought yeah, well, people can still knife you. I thought a lot of things. But there's a real problem and there are too many people dying so it's another of those things where we need the additional laws. I analyzed the facts sand events and I came to hold a different POV.

Another thing is, societal corrections tend to use overkill. They're seldom moderate. That's just how it is and I don't see that changing as long as humans are humans.

I am obviously the very antithesis of a belief junkie though like all of humanity, I don't hit a home run every time.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:44 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
I'll withdraw my "belief-junkie" comment, but reserve it for where cult-like habits of thinking and behavior persist - I do think that such is a form of addiction (and likely stimulates endorphins).

I don't disagree with you about governmental intrusions, although we are talking about measures needing popular approval at the polls. The willingness to tax oneself for a public benefit is the very essence of civic responsibility. So far, Murray hasn't struck bedrock on that yet, nor do I think he will on the "sugary beverage" tax, although I wouldn't mind if the City Council slimmed it down some. Some here, of course, want not a democracy, but an oligarchy (or corporatocracy, ruled by Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Finance, Big Arms, Big Sugar, etc.).

Old 03-03-2017, 04:14 PM

There are no perfect solutions in life. I hope that whatever they end up doing with this sin tax (if it or anything similar to it passes), that maybe they fix some of our roads with some of the money. They're pretty bad. I love our city and state and one of the things I like to do is go on fun trips with my husband.

Trust me, nobody as contrary as I am could be legitimately accused of cult like thinking. (I've been pretty careful about joining groups as time's gone by.) When something seems like a good or bad idea to me, I try to ascertain why it seems that way. I try to look at all the sides and aspects of a situation, though I'm sure I don't get everything right all the time. Can't please all the people all the time, either.

Thanks for your reply. I truly enjoyed reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area