Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times

Advertisements

The disconnect theory is interesting. I grew up in Chicago. I will agree that there is a reserved mood among the north Great Lake states, but I'll also add that after some time, once these people get to know you, the barrier comes down. I'm not finding that here. It's like perpetual, peripheral relationships or vibes here don't seem to make that leap. And to me, this attitude permeates into everything: daily exchanges, shopping, driving, neighbors.

In CA I found people pretty open as well as in FL, the desert SW, and areas of the South. I lived in Tx for 13 years and I was surprised at the open nature of people. I think that's what kind of broke me out of my upper Great Lakes reserved attitude.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
I agree to a certain extent that some people around here need to lighten up....but the whole thing with off color jokes:

I will laugh at them if they are genuinely funny. But when it is Carlos Mencia "dun dun dun!" or Larry the cable guy type humor, it is just tired, unfunny, and appeals to the lowest common demoninator. It's not that I am offended that you are making racial or "un-pc" jokes, I just think they are stale and annoying. This may sound pretentious, but perhaps the generally high level of educational attainment and white collar employment sector predisposes us to higher plane of humor?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I agree to a certain extent that some people around here need to lighten up....but the whole thing with off color jokes:

I will laugh at them if they are genuinely funny. But when it is Carlos Mencia "dun dun dun!" or Larry the cable guy type humor, it is just tired, unfunny, and appeals to the lowest common demoninator. It's not that I am offended that you are making racial or "un-pc" jokes, I just think they are stale and annoying. This may sound pretentious, but perhaps the generally high level of educational attainment and white collar employment sector predisposes us to higher plane of humor?
Or maybe you're just sticks in the mud.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,700 times
If anybody here has ever lived in northern Europe, Sweden, Germany, etc you will probably notice a similarity. People are polite, but much more reserved than in other areas of Europe and the U.S. Personally I prefer it this way…

One thing I wish more people would realize is that that person sitting next to you at a stoplight, or walking in front of you at the grocery store, or living a few doors down from you is most likely a transplant from somewhere else.

So, combined with northern European influences and a large population of transplants and also a fairly transient population is it any wonder some people find “Seattleites” to be less open and reserved?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Or maybe you're just sticks in the mud.
Maybe, but I doubt it. I just don't think fart jokes and/or fake good ole boy accents are funny.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
If anybody here has ever lived in northern Europe, Sweden, Germany, etc you will probably notice a similarity. People are polite, but much more reserved than in other areas of Europe and the U.S. Personally I prefer it this way…

One thing I wish more people would realize is that that person sitting next to you at a stoplight, or walking in front of you at the grocery store, or living a few doors down from you is most likely a transplant from somewhere else.

So, combined with northern European influences and a large population of transplants and also a fairly transient population is it any wonder some people find “Seattleites” to be less open and reserved?

I guess I see different people than you here in Seattle because to me there is a higher Asian influence here than European.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Quote:
Maybe, but I doubt it. I just don't think fart jokes and/or fake good ole boy accents are funny.
Seriously, after pulling a few fingers it just gets old.
Speaking of old, the winters are a little rough on arthritus...
but the rest of the year makes up for it.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:51 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Maybe Seattle proper is high brow, but more than once here on the Eastside, I've seen jackasses flying the confederate flag, including one guy who had a giant one flying from the bed of his truck, so the Seattle area has it's share of rednecks.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
In CA I found people pretty open as well as in FL, the desert SW, and areas of the South. I lived in Tx for 13 years and I was surprised at the open nature of people. I think that's what kind of broke me out of my upper Great Lakes reserved attitude.
Every place you mention is a warm weather area where people have a modest amount of clothing to be comfortable (short pants, short sleeves, etc.). It makes for less inhibited people. The southern latitude is what all of those places have in common.

Even aside from the Great Lakes, it changes big time on the East Coast...from more temperate, and borderline obnoxious, New Jersey all the way up to Vermont and Maine, where it's a lot more stoic.

Personally, I don't have time for it.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-05-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Well, I don't/didn't and so do the people complaining. Thank you for reiterating the theory of the lacking interpersonal skills in the Seattle area. Mod: no need to cut, ok?

I don't like northern Europe AT ALL. I have been to the UK (overcast, expensive and boring) and Germany (too clinical). I have been to Italy, Spain, Greece and Portugal. Ah, yes, people who can emote, decibel levels that are higher, great food, temperate climate, and people who can laugh at life and themselves. From those kinds of people, we get movies like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and "Moonstruck." The bottom line: those films were definitely not possible in Seattle but, rather, in ethnically charged Chicago and New York, where asking someone "What are you?" is totally acceptable whereas people in Seattle would take this the wrong way, cite you for your political incorrectness, get in their Subaru with its rooftop coffin, and drive off. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area