Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:57 AM

249 posts, read 473,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
The beach is beautiful, for a little while!
Living here year-round and full-time is a bit much though. The incessant sunshine and 100% humidity is slowly killing me. And I live in the panhandle area, so its even worse because there aren't other things to DO to take your mind off. I'm really craving some woods, hiking, snow sports, and clean and cool air. I've ha a love affair with the PNW since I was a little girl, it's time to make it my home.
Luna I concur with you, it is too dang hot here I am in central Florida and the humidity is killing me. I have asthma and I am tired of hibernating for 6 months out of the year or having to monitor if it is a safe day for asthmatics to go outside. My husband and I are looking at Bremerton or Bellingham area to buy a house in because for us it makes more sense to buy than rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 AM

301 posts, read 189,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
Luna I concur with you, it is too dang hot here I am in central Florida and the humidity is killing me. I have asthma and I am tired of hibernating for 6 months out of the year or having to monitor if it is a safe day for asthmatics to go outside. My husband and I are looking at Bremerton or Bellingham area to buy a house in because for us it makes more sense to buy than rent.
OMG YES, I have reactive asthma and have an attack when I so much as laugh outside. It's horrendous. And I'm tired of being sick.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:15 PM

129 posts, read 224,723 times
Assuming I was moving by myself:

-If I'm good, finding a bartending job would take 2 weeks max.
-Cheap apartment near DT will be ~$1500/mo. Including first and last month's rent, that's $4,500 out of pocket immediately.
-Spending + food + transportation/car would be ~$2,000/mo.

So $10k sounds about right.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walch1007 View Post
Assuming I was moving by myself:

-If I'm good, finding a bartending job would take 2 weeks max.
-Cheap apartment near DT will be ~$1500/mo. Including first and last month's rent, that's $4,500 out of pocket immediately.
-Spending + food + transportation/car would be ~$2,000/mo.

So $10k sounds about right.
Thank you!

Old 03-10-2017, 02:16 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,376,647 times
Quote:
Thank you for the tip! Tacoma is definitely on the list of possibilities to save on rent. At first, I don't mind being further away from the city to make it work. We're seriously considering Olympia to start with. Eventually, I'll want to actually live in Seattle ... when the right job comes along. Til then, I'm cool. Just being in the area will be enough for me for quite awhile.
Olympia, while it doesn't look far on a map, will make getting to, and back from, Seattle much, much, much more difficult than, say, Tacoma, with many congestion bottlenecks and strangled corridors in between. The youth "scene" is also different, more "college town" (Evergreen) than metro-urban (think Eugene or Bellingham for comparison, rather than Seattle and Portland).

Old 03-10-2017, 09:42 PM

8,173 posts, read 8,312,713 times
Olympia is only a little over an hour to the Pacific Ocean, pretty nice.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Olympia, while it doesn't look far on a map, will make getting to, and back from, Seattle much, much, much more difficult than, say, Tacoma, with many congestion bottlenecks and strangled corridors in between. The youth "scene" is also different, more "college town" (Evergreen) than metro-urban (think Eugene or Bellingham for comparison, rather than Seattle and Portland).
If we lived in Olympia, I definitely wouldn't be trying to work in Seattle. I'd try to find something local, even if that meant hospitality or service. Both are fine with me, for now. Eventually, the goal is to live and work in Seattle. But I would much rather get to the area and settle in a place where I know I can survive. The last thing I want is to get there and have all my hopes and dreams crushed under the weight of not being able to afford to enjoy my city. If that means living in Olympia until I'm settled, then that's what I'll be doing. Seattle IS my endgame, but I have my whole life (hopefully) ahead of me to make it a reality. Just being in the PNW region will be enough for me for quite awhile, even if that means Olympia or Vancouver.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If we lived in Olympia, I definitely wouldn't be trying to work in Seattle. I'd try to find something local, even if that meant hospitality or service.
I was more addressing: "I have a roommate lined up, my cousin. Also, we are now considering Olympia to save on rent and to be a bit closer to Portland. She photographs concerts and most of her work is there, so we decided on a 50/50 compromise for living."

I initially read the italicized as referring to Seattle, since the thread title is "If you were moving to Seattle..." On the other hand, IF most of her work is in Olympia, then that wouldn't be a bad choice. If, however, most of her work is in Seattle (or Portland), it would be a tough choice for her, if not for you, for the reasons I stated. Don't underestimate traffic congestion in the I-5 corridor.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I was more addressing: "I have a roommate lined up, my cousin. Also, we are now considering Olympia to save on rent and to be a bit closer to Portland. She photographs concerts and most of her work is there, so we decided on a 50/50 compromise for living."

I initially read the italicized as referring to Seattle, since the thread title is "If you were moving to Seattle..." On the other hand, IF most of her work is in Olympia, then that wouldn't be a bad choice. If, however, most of her work is in Seattle (or Portland), it would be a tough choice for her, if not for you, for the reasons I stated. Don't underestimate traffic congestion in the I-5 corridor.
I see, thanks for clarifying. When I say that most of her work is in Portland, I don't mean that it would be a daily commute. She photographs between 3-5 events a month at the moment, so she'd be going around once a week for the event and then returning. She works as a session photographer otherwise and can work from anywhere really, same as me with serving and bartending. We are looking at cutting costs as the main factor at the moment. I WANT to live in Seattle, hence the title of this post. But since I posted the OP, I've done more research and more considering and think that probably living outside the City at first would be best.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Living in Olympia isn't living "outside" of Seattle, or Portland. My advice is to move to Olympia if you want to live in Olympia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area