Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 AM

301 posts, read 191,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Living in Olympia isn't living "outside" of Seattle, or Portland. My advice is to move to Olympia if you want to live in Olympia.
I do appreciate all your advice. At this point, (financially) I don't feel that Seattle is a reality and she needs to be close to Portland. So, its likely that my first stop in the PNW will be Vancouver. And that's okay with me, for now. You're right actually, I don't WANT to live in Olympia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 8,446,904 times
For cheaper rents in the Vancouver area, look at Battle Ground, Longview/Kelso, etc. You'll still be within relatively easy reach of Portland. You might want to start a separate thread in the Vancouver or Washington forum.

Not plush, but affordable:

https://www.zillow.com/b/405-SW-1st-...122.542332_ll/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...94974167_zpid/

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 03-15-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM

735 posts, read 879,069 times
I don't know the laws in Florida, but serving alcohol means having to take a class, so budget that expense in.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,033,012 times
I'm in Tacoma and they will ALL suck you in with that lower first year intro rent.. Mine was a few dollars (less than 100) higher than that one posted on Zillow and this year its suddenly $1341 with a 25% discount they put on my contract in BIG RED LETTERS because people are leaving here and couldn't get anyone to sign for $1500. I'm sure Ill be moving next lease renewal . They told us it will be 20% every time for the foreseeable future. This place looks like a parking lot every weekend for U-haul, Penske and Budget at this time

Old 04-03-2017, 03:00 PM

18 posts, read 14,949 times
I'm about to do this same thing.

Just moving into an apartment will cost you a big chunk upfront. You'll need the first month + 1 month's security deposit (I assume this is standard), so I think it really depends on what kind of living situation you want. A shared apartment far outside of the city might be feasible with $5k if you plan to start working in a bar or restaurant within a week or two, and your rent is really cheap. A room in the city will cost you close to 3k upfront, making $5k pretty impossible.

I have family out there that I'm going to crash with, thankfully. I'm bringing what I have with me, which is more than enough, but I'm not planning on spending more than $5k over a few months (graciously accepting free room, board, and some meals.)

Plan for the best, but prepare for the worst. I wouldn't move out with 5k in your pocket and nothing to fall back on, otherwise you risk having a terrible experience in a new city!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,048,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodaConduct View Post
I'm about to do this same thing.

Just moving into an apartment will cost you a big chunk upfront. You'll need the first month + 1 month's security deposit (I assume this is standard), so I think it really depends on what kind of living situation you want. A shared apartment far outside of the city might be feasible with $5k if you plan to start working in a bar or restaurant within a week or two, and your rent is really cheap. A room in the city will cost you close to 3k upfront, making $5k pretty impossible.

I have family out there that I'm going to crash with, thankfully. I'm bringing what I have with me, which is more than enough, but I'm not planning on spending more than $5k over a few months (graciously accepting free room, board, and some meals.)

Plan for the best, but prepare for the worst. I wouldn't move out with 5k in your pocket and nothing to fall back on, otherwise you risk having a terrible experience in a new city!

In city of Seattle, there are new laws about how much beyond first month's rent they can charge upfront.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:12 AM

18 posts, read 14,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
In city of Seattle, there are new laws about how much beyond first month's rent they can charge upfront.
That's really good to know. I'll look into it. I'm moving to Seattle from NYC, and here it's usually 1 month rent + 1 month security + 12% of the year in broker fees. (We have no-fee listings but they are hard to find and quickly snatched up! So I have opted for a broker in my time here.)

I look forward to a slightly easier process in Seattle (although I know the rent is climbing by the day.)

Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,048,863 times
New Deposit and Move-in Fee Limits and Payment Plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area