Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:09 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times

Advertisements

The sad thing about this tax increase is that in the next 3-5 years, NOTHING will change in Seattle... Period. The homeless issue will still be an issue with very little to no change. What is "more of the same," which hasn't worked, to this point, really going to do? The answer is "nothing."

Also, how much of this tax increase is going to be used to cover the administrative costs for this homeless project and the other feel good "special" projects that the city council.

Keep voting "YES" on all the tax increases in Seattle and see what happens to the average working class family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 02:06 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
The homeless problem is much more complicated than simply finding rooms for people. Much of the psychology of homelessness can be explained by the economic theory of exchange and competition. The homeless will extract as much money from the civic environment as possible, and are doing so in Seattle. The citizens of Seattle must understand that homelessness is an economic game masquerading as altruism before any solution can be considered.

"Free" benefits are a curse to both the patron and the recipient.
If anything, "benefits", and funding for low-income housing, jobs programs, mental health, etc., have been slashed, while tuition has skyrocketed, over the last 25 years. I really doubt that a pad in a shelter is a draw - more that we're getting California's overflow. Surveys have shown that most homeless here are from here. Many were knocked down by the Great Recession, with the jobs they had not having come back.

I've never heard so many rationalizations for screwing people while they're down. How are Trump voters going to react when they get a slap-down, rather than a hand-up?

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 03-19-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 12:52 AM

69 posts, read 113,977 times
Why doesn't the city embrace what other major cities have done and let builders develop high rises. For example why is there a 6-7 story cap (or something like that) in Cap Hill?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
...I've never heard so many rationalizations for screwing people while they're down. How are Trump voters going to react when they get a slap-down, rather than a hand-up?
How did this become a "Trump voters" issue when he or Washington D.C. has nothing to do with either raising or lowering local property taxes? I was pretty much following what you were saying until you threw out that hightly subjective statement without any real facts to back it up.

I believe in helping the needy and "I" do volunteer some of my limited free time in helping the homeless here in Seattle, in a very hands-on manner, requiring face to face contact. I'm also very aware of the drug, alcohol and the mental issues that many of them have and how that severely hampers many of them from gaining the needed life skills to function within a society... Including finding/keeping employment and living in a residential setting, which isn't as easy as it sounds for many of them who are suffering from one or more of the above problems.

Again, there isn't a simple fix to this growing issue the city is facing, but IMHO, raising taxes AND "hiding" them from the public view isn't going to solve this complex problem either, just another temporary "band-aid" fix. By not fully engaging the homeless to "assist" and at the same time and not holding them partly "responsible" for their own reintegration back into a functioning socitiy is nothing more than a waste of more tax payer's money... The super rich and the Upper-upper middle class can absorb this tax increase, but for many of the lower middle class working families, another tax increase is very painful on their already overstretched and limited budgets.

Btw, every time "life" has "slapped me down," over the last 50 plus years, I readjusted and got the hell back up and continued to move forward in "life," which wasn't that easy all the time, but it can be done. Yes, I know we all can't do this, but for many, it can be done.

I could be wrong with this, but being "responsible" isn't a Repubilican or Democrat thing, it's an individual responsibility... Nothing more. Nothing less.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM

840 posts, read 759,173 times
You all should check out Safe Seattle on Facebook if you haven't already done so, for real discussion and facts about this problem and others facing Seattle. More money isn't the solution and there is real lack of accountability with the funds already spent.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
How did this become a "Trump voters" issue when he or Washington D.C. has nothing to do with either raising or lowering local property taxes? I was pretty much following what you were saying until you threw out that hightly subjective statement without any real facts to back it up.

I believe in helping the needy and "I" do volunteer some of my limited free time in helping the homeless here in Seattle, in a very hands-on manner, requiring face to face contact. I'm also very aware of the drug, alcohol and the mental issues that many of them have and how that severely hampers many of them from gaining the needed life skills to function within a society... Including finding/keeping employment and living in a residential setting, which isn't as easy as it sounds for many of them who are suffering from one or more of the above problems.

Again, there isn't a simple fix to this growing issue the city is facing, but IMHO, raising taxes AND "hiding" them from the public view isn't going to solve this complex problem either, just another temporary "band-aid" fix. By not fully engaging the homeless to "assist" and at the same time and not holding them partly "responsible" for their own reintegration back into a functioning socitiy is nothing more than a waste of more tax payer's money... The super rich and the Upper-upper middle class can absorb this tax increase, but for many of the lower middle class working families, another tax increase is very painful on their already overstretched and limited budgets.

Btw, every time "life" has "slapped me down," over the last 50 plus years, I readjusted and got the hell back up and continued to move forward in "life," which wasn't that easy all the time, but it can be done. Yes, I know we all can't do this, but for many, it can be done.

I could be wrong with this, but being "responsible" isn't a Repubilican or Democrat thing, it's an individual responsibility... Nothing more. Nothing less.
Because Trump's budget, if approved, will slap-down many who voted for him. Health care should be a right, not a "benefit".

I'm entirely for a carrot-and-stick approach. I'm for hiring more police, so all crimes are investigated and laws enforced (including illegal camping). People committing petty non-violent crimes due to an addiction, however, should get a chance to get treated and turn their life around; people with untreated mental health needs, should get therapy, meds, and a chance to be stabilized. That, even including housing while getting themselves straight, is actually much less costly than trying, convicting, and jailing them, over and over again. If they refuse treatment or therapy, and continue to commit crimes, however, throw the book at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area