Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 PM

23 posts, read 41,717 times

Advertisements

How warm does the water actually get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughterqueen View Post
How warm does the water actually get?
Lake Washington water (the largest lake) is in the high 60's in the summer months.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
You're moving to boating heaven. You may not do the same kind of boating you know, you are about to find a new world. There is still water skiing in summer... but there's all kinds of year-round fresh and salt water boating options.... particularly around Gig Harbor.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:40 PM

High 60's is freezing for us down here. LOL. I am definitely in for a whole new world. Still not convinced that we should bring it and have lots of interest here for selling it. Tough decision ahead.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 PM

236 posts, read 289,468 times
People here love boating. I'm not a boat person but others I know are out every weekend in the Summer on lake Washington. My neighbors go tubing with their kids. if you love boating and would miss it for 3 years, you might want to consider it.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
High 60's is freezing for us down here. LOL. I am definitely in for a whole new world. Still not convinced that we should bring it and have lots of interest here for selling it. Tough decision ahead.
EZ choice... boats are very CHEAP and available in PNW. Certainly not worth dragging one you can sell 3,000 miles. If you really like the one you pick up CHEAP in WA... take / ship it somewhere else in the USA and make good resale income.

You may find that 3 yrs is very limited time to explore and enjoy the PNW. Lots to see and do, and you can always water ski when you go back home.

You might really enjoy renting a sailboat and exploring the islands / being chased by Killer Whales, and sea lions... boat camping and crabbing everyday. It could be a great opportunity to learn some new regional things to do. Mtn climbing, Salmon fishing, Big foot hunting ... Doing an Alaska trip one of the summers would certainly be worth the effort (Ferry, fly, drive, boat). Many, many mtns to explore. Get your Canada National Parks Pass (Free for 2017). camping / mtns / sking is fabulous in Canada.

Oregon also has lots to explore (such as the eclipse this summer). MT and Idaho are wilderness / fishing paradises. A ski boat might become an anchor to adventure.

We did 3 foreign assignments and really appreciated the opportunity to live / enjoy different things in each culture. PNW is certainly a different culture! WAY different than SE USA. +/-

(BTW: check the rules, but you very well may end up paying extra sales / licensing taxes for bringing your boat to WA) I had to RE-PAY sales tax on all my RV / Boat / Motorcycles I brought into WA state (Only (2) cars allowed sales tax deferred)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-23-2017 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
I'd sell it. You'll be limited to using it a few months a year. You'll be driving long distances to find a lake that allows it. The tendency hereabouts is to ban jet skis and water skiing - people want peace and quiet. Kayakers don't want wakes. Now, if moving to the Tri-Cities, it would be different.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 PM

Forgive me for asking, but what do you mean Tri-Cities?

Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Forgive me for asking, but what do you mean Tri-Cities?
The Tri-Cities is in Eastern Washington - Kennewick, Richland, Pasco - where the plutonium for the Nagasaki bomb was extracted.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:08 AM

7 posts, read 5,070 times
The south end of Hood Canal is a long inlet which keeps the water relatively isolated from the rest of the sound. With its large tide variations in the Summer, the water can get very warm. Easily in the 70s. I grew up skiing and swimming in Hood Canal. It's only about 30 minutes from Gig Harbor. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area