Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:14 AM

38 posts, read 53,468 times

Advertisements

Well, this came out of nowhere. Hoping some of you fine folks can help me out with this:

I've been living in L.A. for the past 30 years, now a potentially superb job opportunity has just come up in Renton. They may be on the fast track to get me moved. Problem is I know absolutely nothing about the Seattle area, or where to even start looking for rentals. We'd need at least two bedrooms, hopefully around $2k a month, more is okay. We would settle for an apartment but a single family home would be ideal. I'm already used to a hellish commute, not that I want to keep doing it but I'm okay with it.

The wife and I just turned 50, both pretty mellow. We do enjoy shopping, dining, hiking, and the occasional sports game. No children, so schools are not a consideration. We currently live in the suburbs here in L.A. and are content. A quiet and safe bedroom community would be ideal.

Hopefully that's enough info to at least get a few suggestions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Try looking in the Renton area first, which will minimize your commute - lots of "quiet and safe bedroom community" areas there (and nearby). You'll still be close enough to Seattle for sports and other events.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...65_rect/11_zm/

For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...48698420_zpid/

Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
If you've got the money, focus on Newcastle rather than Renton. Renton is hit-or-miss. Newcastle is just universally nice, and the commute to either Boeing, Paccar, or Wizards of the Coast (seems the only 3 companies you would be relocating for in that particular city) would be cracker jack simple.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:35 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
If a family, then yes. But for just a couple, no.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Depends where in Renton the job is. I live in Renton, and i like it, and I live in an area not considered particularly nice(Earlington Hill).
So, Lakeridge and Bryn mawr(just NW of downtown Renton) are quiet and pleasant(they have the 98178 zip code). Kennydale is nice, parts of North Renton are nice. There's no reason to stay away from all of Renton, although Newcastle is indeed nice. There are a few sketchy areas in Renton...So don't live in them. If the job is closer to the Kent border, parts of Kent are nice, or Renton's Talbot Hill or Fairwood neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Thank you very much for the responses thus far, it is appreciated.

I will definitely stick to Renton when it comes to my initial search, but a co-worker who is familiar with the area also mentioned Issaquah and Maple Valley. Would those fit the bill as well? I'm just trying to figure out where I should be visiting when I head up there. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2017, 11:34 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend View Post
Thank you very much for the responses thus far, it is appreciated.

I will definitely stick to Renton when it comes to my initial search, but a co-worker who is familiar with the area also mentioned Issaquah and Maple Valley. Would those fit the bill as well? I'm just trying to figure out where I should be visiting when I head up there. Thanks!
Your co-worker is valuing cost savings over convenience. Issaquah would be a nightmare. Maple Valley, you could probably do it in 35-40 minutes so long as the one road you'd have to take (a 2-laner) didn't have some sort of issue, but you can't count on that. And it's incredibly far south from the main part of the Seattle/Bellevue region.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments. Just a quick update on my situation: Looks like it would be corporate housing at The Landing in Renton, at least for awhile. I was in the area last week and it looked really nice, close to everything shopping and dining-wise. So if I do make it up there, I'll probably use The Landing as my home base and start exploring from there.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:32 PM

169 posts, read 179,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Depends where in Renton the job is. I live in Renton, and i like it, and I live in an area not considered particularly nice(Earlington Hill).
So, Lakeridge and Bryn mawr(just NW of downtown Renton) are quiet and pleasant(they have the 98178 zip code). Kennydale is nice, parts of North Renton are nice. There's no reason to stay away from all of Renton, although Newcastle is indeed nice. There are a few sketchy areas in Renton...So don't live in them. If the job is closer to the Kent border, parts of Kent are nice, or Renton's Talbot Hill or Fairwood neighborhoods.

Just curious, Ira500, I've heard before north Renton and northeast are good, and Newcastle. But what specific areas of Renton do you feel are sketchy? I've heard vague statements about not 'being too far south', but that's it. Is there a specific street to stay north of, or east of?

Thanks for any specific info you can provide as someone living in Renton.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
Just curious, Ira500, I've heard before north Renton and northeast are good, and Newcastle. But what specific areas of Renton do you feel are sketchy? I've heard vague statements about not 'being too far south', but that's it. Is there a specific street to stay north of, or east of?

Thanks for any specific info you can provide as someone living in Renton.
There's an apartment complex just west of the downtown Renton Fred Meyer store that sees a lot of police activity. Parts of the western part of the Renton Highlands are run down and perceived as higher crime( but it's getting better). The part of the North Renton neighborhood adjacent to downtown and very near 405 are a mix of industrial and residential, and at best are kind of noisy. The part of the South Renton neighborhood right next to Rainier Avenue are somewhat rundown and noisy, maybe a bit sketchy.
But I don't think you can say "Avoid all of the western part of Renton", or "Don't live in South Renton", or
don't live in downtown Renton", because even in the "worst" parts of Renton, most of the neighborhood is fine, safe, pleasant, and the neighborhoods get a bad rap because of a bad block or two. I live in the western part of Renton near Skyway, and it has a bad reputation. I've been here 18 years, and have never been robbed, never been burglarized, never had my car stolen, and know and like all my neighbors. It's more boring than it is dangerous. Which suits me fine. I like boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area