Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 AM

44 posts, read 55,098 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Seattle I read a column by a Pioneer Square business owner about how the tolerance (that's a mild word) of the homeless was ruining Pioneer Square.

I've seen people sh*tting in the street in Pioneer Square. Nice neighborhood, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho54 View Post
When I lived in Seattle I read a column by a Pioneer Square business owner about how the tolerance (that's a mild word) of the homeless was ruining Pioneer Square.

I've seen people sh*tting in the street in Pioneer Square. Nice neighborhood, eh?
Ruining it? I don't recall that it was ever anything but a skid-row type place. Moving art galleries in didn't change that.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
Agree with Gardyloo. I walk in Pioneer every day to the Sounder train....development is occurring. New Bartell's, new apartments, etc. And as others have said, when the viaduct comes down, it's going to change even more. Hope they keep all the great architecture...being a historic district, guess they will have to.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:28 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Okay, on the recommendation of several suburban, I presume, posters here, I suggest we, Seattleites, fund the Round-Up Bus Line, which would not just provide free rides to the homeless, but actually pay them, say $20, to use the service to drop them off in a variety of suburban centers, including Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Bothell, Issaquah, etc., one way, operating in the morning. It'll be a whole lot easier and cheaper, not to mention, constitutional, if the homeless willingly deliver themselves to the buses, rather than the police having to forcefully round them up. The trips could be promoted as "homeless vacations". The above mentioned "destinations" would need to fund their own bus services, if they wish, to ferry them back into Seattle at the end of the day.

With the money the homeless could afford a bottle of Mad Dog or other fortified wine, malt liquor, etc. Being ferried out to fresh panhandling locations, they could use their gains to purchase meth, crack, or even heroin.

If receiving too many "boomerang" homeless back, additional incentives could be added. To entice more participation and encourage the riders to stay the night, a raffle could be run using the bus "tickets", with prizes for the winners including sleeping bags, tents, camping stoves, ponchos, and so on. The grand prize could be a new bike, allowing the winner to fully explore (and case?) their new neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Okay, on the recommendation of several suburban, I presume, posters here, I suggest we, Seattleites, fund the Round-Up Bus Line, which would not just provide free rides to the homeless, but actually pay them, say $20, to use the service to drop them off in a variety of suburban centers, including Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Bothell, Issaquah, etc., one way, operating in the morning. It'll be a whole lot easier and cheaper, not to mention, constitutional, if the homeless willingly deliver themselves to the buses, rather than the police having to forcefully round them up. The trips could be promoted as "homeless vacations". The above mentioned "destinations" would need to fund their own bus services, if they wish, to ferry them back into Seattle at the end of the day.

With the money the homeless could afford a bottle of Mad Dog or other fortified wine, malt liquor, etc. Being ferried out to fresh panhandling locations, they could use their gains to purchase meth, crack, or even heroin.

If receiving too many "boomerang" homeless back, additional incentives could be added. To entice more participation and encourage the riders to stay the night, a raffle could be run using the bus "tickets", with prizes for the winners including sleeping bags, tents, camping stoves, ponchos, and so on. The grand prize could be a new bike, allowing the winner to fully explore (and case?) their new neighborhood.
I happen to know of at least one case where a severely mentally ill homeless person was brought to Seattle and dropped off by the Bellevue PD, back in the early 2000s. There are still a few panhandlers in Bellevue, on freeway ramps, but some not actually homeless, they just discovered it to be an easier way to make a living than a real job.

Back to Pioneer Square, my bus home from work goes down second to S Washington, then to 4th to catch I90. Around 2nd & Washington we always see some interesting things going on. Sometimes involving the police, but usually just illegal transactions, or people laying in odd places who cannot be identified as alive or deceased from a bus window.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
It was a fun area for live music bar hopping until about 2005, when most of those places closed. Once in awhile we still battle traffic and parking for comedy at Swannie's and the bands at The J&M. Not looking forward to the traffic mess there when the viaduct is gone.
I lived in the Seattle area in the late '90s, and we saw a lot of live music in Pioneer Square. Loved it. When I returned to the city in 2013 after 13 years away, Pioneer Square had changed a lot. Sad, I really liked it before.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:02 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Throw in a free carton of Lucky Strikes (filtered), I'm joining the pack!

...the pack of residents out in the streets with tar and feathers, i.e.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:29 PM

323 posts, read 449,121 times
Default Pioneer Square Fun Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I lived in the Seattle area in the late '90s, and we saw a lot of live music in Pioneer Square. Loved it. When I returned to the city in 2013 after 13 years away, Pioneer Square had changed a lot. Sad, I really liked it before.
Yeah, looking at my records, it was about 2010 when the joint cover went away with only four bars still offering live music. Far from the 80s and 90s with as many as nine: Fenix Above, Fenix Under, Doc Maynard's, Old Timer's, New Orleans, Colourbox, Central Saloon, Larry's Greenfront and The Bohemian. Plus the OK Hotel and Catwalk off the grid. The J&M was a major meat market without live music back then, but is now one of just three places with regular live music: Central Saloon and 88 Keys the other two.

There was quite the festive atmosphere at night back then. DJ dance venues pretty much took over around 2010. Except for Trinity, they've thrown in the towel too. Not a dance joint, but I think Cowgirls gets a big rowdy turnout. I'm thankful for the PS music scene during my more ambitious younger years. Now we just go to the local music joints around home. If my younger years are now, I'd go there occasionally for Swannie's comedy followed by the J&M's live music. The Central is mostly hard rock. No interest in the glossy restaurants and expensive cocktails taking over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area