Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:21 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
Really? We moved from the Big Island to the Seattle area in late 2015 and have found prices across the board to be noticeably cheaper in the Seattle area. A few items are comparable but for the most part our grocery bill is almost cut in half shopping here. I have found that "nicer" restaurants are comparable to the BI but most everything else is noticeably cheaper. Maybe the BI is different than Honolulu? Either way we are very happy. I am on the BI for work till mid May. If I think about it, I will compare a trip to the grocery store in Seattle to a trip in Waimea. For SAG.
Perhaps, I mean grocery prices in Honolulu are definitely higher, but on taxable food things in Seattle there's definitely a much closer gap, but probably because I buy 99% of stuff at Costco. But yes I donfind resturants to be noticeably more expensive in Seattle vs Oahu, even junk like takeout phad thai there's a noticeable difference in price, probably due to the $15 min. wage law, tax, and higher real estate prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 03:33 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I don't believe that for a second- have you ever been to the farmers market in West Seattle? the prices are RIDICULOUS and there is no "middlemen"
And you believe that the growers aren't aware of what grocery stores are charging for the same product, and pricing accordingly in the instance of a farmer's market where the market itself is taking a fee to let you set up a booth and then a percentage of your sales?

Come now....it's patently obvious what I was referring to was actually going TO the farm or their independent little stand and getting what you need. $6 a pound for Rainier cherries at Freddy's, $5 at a farmer's market in some gentrified area - $2 a bushel if you get it from some folding table with a hand-painted sign alongside the road.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Farmers markets are your best bet. Our favorite is Tiny's (who is not so tiny anymore) Organic from the Wenatchee area, excellent fruit.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post

If you want a real shocker try pricing new or used cars in Seattle vs. the SW, the "Seattle premium" really goes overboard there...
Just drive over to Kellog and buy it there!!

Moses Lake is also pretty good.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:34 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
I haven't noticed a difference in Fred Meyer's apple prices vs Kroger's back in Ohio.

But yeah better to go get them direct from a local orchard in season.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 PM

513 posts, read 499,180 times
I've found that farmers markets tend to be specialty so they are more expensive. I've also noticed that the apples one can buy here aren't as good unless you buy expensive apples. The cheaper apples here are not as tasty as cheaper apples on the East Coast/Midwest. They are more mealy and don't have as good of mouth feel (personal preference obviously) A friend of mine who's a native thinks it's because all the really good apples get exported to Asia, so the lesser quality ones stay here. Seems plausible but I have no idea if it's true.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
I have to agree. I grew up in the northwest but spent nearly 8 years in Atlanta, hardly a part of the country you associate with good agriculture but if you went to the right stores, the quality and especially prices is amazing compared to the choices here. Many really care about their food quality here but perhaps since they are willing to pay $$$ for it the competition for high quality decently priced food is lacking. Choices aren't terrible by any means but you notice higher prices on just about everything and less choices. Our favorite store back in Atlanta was Your Dekalb Farmers Market which is soon to be the biggest single location grocery store in the country and have yet to find anything that compares. Some stores like PCC or Central Market have some of the same feel but much higher prices. None of them have the selection (such as 15 types of apples, produce you've never heard of), free range meats etc. But thats just part of moving to different regions and discovering new places.

I will say that Whole foods is under a lot of pressure nationally with the likes of Costco and Aldi's selling tons of organics. Hopefully Aldi's eventually makes their way here as they just hit southern California with lots of stores.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,898 times
Thanks for all the replies. I should have posted these charts in my original post (more recent years did not have decent charts when I searched google images):
Attached Thumbnails
Why are apples in WA more expensive than in many other states?-us-apple-productio-state-2.png   Why are apples in WA more expensive than in many other states?-us-apple-production-state.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area