Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:44 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,101 times

Advertisements

I am almost certain that apples were cheaper in Cleveland compared to Seattle when I moved from the former to the latter in 2010.

If WA state grows a majority of the nation's apples and is a huge net exporter of these products, how come apples are not any cheaper here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Overhead costs more in Seattle?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
Honestly-i've wondered the same thing about lemons in Florida

Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I am almost certain that apples were cheaper in Cleveland compared to Seattle when I moved from the former to the latter in 2010.

If WA state grows a majority of the nation's apples and is a huge net exporter of these products, how come apples are not any cheaper here?
Because they can charge more. It's capitalism.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post

You answered it yourself. The demand for export and wholesale to customers across the US creates a shortage here, while other states grow for their local consumers. You can beat the system by going up to the roadside stands this summer up around Thorp or even the local farmers markets such as Issaquah, Saturdays starting in May.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:14 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
The same reason most food costs more in Seattle: middlemen

I have a restaurateur friend of mine who explained this to me really well one time. Apparently, in the Seattle area between the grower of a crop and the restaurant (or grocery store), there are 13 different middlemen that your food changes hand at from grower/rancher/whatever to final consumer, and each one takes their cut. A series of transporters, storage companies, union-mandated handoffs and graft, etc.

Apparently, in most major cities, that number is 4-6. We're in the process of transitioning to LA at the moment, have made a couple of shopping trips here, and have found that our food costs are, on average, about 11% lower than they were in Seattle for the same goods. It's not just apples - it's everything. Unless you're buying directly from the grower, you're going to be paying for a lot of changing hands.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

I have a restaurateur friend of mine who explained this to me really well one time. Apparently, in the Seattle area between the grower of a crop and the restaurant (or grocery store), there are 13 different middlemen that your food changes hand at from grower/rancher/whatever to final consumer, and each one takes their cut. A series of transporters, storage companies, union-mandated handoffs and graft, etc.

Apparently, in most major cities, that number is 4-6. We're in the process of transitioning to LA at the moment, have made a couple of shopping trips here, and have found that our food costs are, on average, about 11% lower than they were in Seattle for the same goods. It's not just apples - it's everything. Unless you're buying directly from the grower, you're going to be paying for a lot of changing hands.
Interesting, yes I've also found Seattle grocery prices and general consumer goods prices to be quite a bit higher in Seattle, higher yet in Bellevue, than in LA or San Diego. Restaurant prices in Seattle are also a lot higher, they're even higher than in Honolulu which I find funny as grocery prices are only a hair higher there than Seattle now.

If you want a real shocker try pricing new or used cars in Seattle vs. the SW, the "Seattle premium" really goes overboard there...

Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

I don't believe that for a second- have you ever been to the farmers market in West Seattle? the prices are RIDICULOUS and there is no "middlemen"

Old 04-16-2017, 02:44 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I don't believe that for a second- have you ever been to the farmers market in West Seattle? the prices are RIDICULOUS and there is no "middlemen"
I can confirm that the WS farmers market is indeed spendy. Too bad, because it's so convenient for me :/. I usually end going to other markets, or PCC/Met Market instead.

Food in general is more expensive in the Seattle area. I've had numerous CA transplants tell me that food costs more here, and on my trips out to Northeast cities in recent years (Boston, Philly, NYC), I've noticed that food was definitely cheaper when eating out. Just as one example, I've ordered large specialty pizzas in the northeast for around $19-$21. A similar pizza in Seattle is often $25-28 or so. Breakfast/Brunch diner places seemed cheaper too. It was hit or miss in NYC, but even there some things costed less.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:06 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Interesting, yes I've also found Seattle grocery prices and general consumer goods prices to be quite a bit higher in Seattle, higher yet in Bellevue, than in LA or San Diego. Restaurant prices in Seattle are also a lot higher, they're even higher than in Honolulu which I find funny as grocery prices are only a hair higher there than Seattle now.

If you want a real shocker try pricing new or used cars in Seattle vs. the SW, the "Seattle premium" really goes overboard there...

Really? We moved from the Big Island to the Seattle area in late 2015 and have found prices across the board to be noticeably cheaper in the Seattle area. A few items are comparable but for the most part our grocery bill is almost cut in half shopping here. I have found that "nicer" restaurants are comparable to the BI but most everything else is noticeably cheaper. Maybe the BI is different than Honolulu? Either way we are very happy. I am on the BI for work till mid May. If I think about it, I will compare a trip to the grocery store in Seattle to a trip in Waimea. For SAG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area