Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 709 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are an American family with 3 boys (9, 6 and 3 yrs) moving from Paris (after having lived here 6 years) to Seattle in May/June. It's a bit of a challenge to say the least trying to relocate internationally, but we plan to hopefully end up in Queen Anne, Magnolia, followed by Wallingford/Phinney Ridge/Greenlake. Have heard absolutely wonderful things about the schools and vibe in these areas, as well as realistic commute for my husband to downtown. Would love input from people on any of the following areas:

1. Recommended preschools for our youngest---we hear Sweet Pea Cottage is great in QA. Any others in QA or Magnolia, especially with an arts/music focus?

2. Any housing leads looking for 3bed+ to rent or buy! Please feel free to message me!! We are lucky to initially have corporate housing for a month/two, but ideally want to find permanent solution by July and get truly settled!

3. Any important things to note differences between Coe, Hay, Magnolia elementary options and info on how the new elementary school in Magnolia will impact zoning?

4. Still trying to wrap my head around HCC program through SPS. Is it true that Cascadia/Hamilton/Garfield would be the track if we moved to these areas? Do many parents send their kids to local elementary and then do the HCC later for middle/high? Seems kind of far to send for little ones not sure if worth it if local elem is solid (as is case in QA and Magnolia). Testing is done in fall for next year? Would love input from people.

THANKS A MILLION!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 05:44 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,893,610 times
Housing budget?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,092,130 times
Welcome to C-D Seattle!

Our son went through the whole APP (former name for HCC) kit and caboodle back in the day, when Madrona Elementary and Washington Middle School were the only options. He went on to the University of Washington's Early Entrance Program and flamed out, not because he wasn't prepared academically but because his emotional age needed time to catch up with his academic level. He left EEP after a year to go to Garfield (which was the APP magnet then) but he was too far ahead, so we ended up placing him in a private school for a couple of years, where the curriculum could be tailored to his particular needs. I don't know that it worked out any better than if we'd stayed the public school course all the way; how would we tell? But he ended up pretty okay; no tics or pathologies that we could spot, anyway.

We were worried at the time that Madrona and Washington were "hothouse" environments for the APP kids, but it didn't work out badly; kids are kids.

Anecdotes are not data of course, but I don't think you can plan "rifle shots" with schools from a distance. Kids are too different, teachers and academic/social environments in the schools are different, and the vibe changes over time, even over a year or two. If you're good parents, and it sounds like you are, then trust your instincts to make the right moves in real time rather than trying to have every question answered beforehand. (This is free advice worth exactly what you've paid for it. )

As for neighborhood, while I like Magnolia and QA, I'd probably opt for the Wallingford/Greenwood option instead, or possibly look at Ravenna/Green Lake too. They're more central and accessible than Magnolia, and if your kid(s) end up at Cascadia or Hamilton (or eventually Garfield) they'd be more convenient. Or the combination of Eckstein MS and Roosevelt HS would also provide excellent opportunities for enrichment, inside or outside the HCC program.

Of course, your housing budget comes into play with all of this.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,537,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paristoseattle View Post
Hello! We are an American family with 3 boys (9, 6 and 3 yrs) moving from Paris (after having lived here 6 years) to Seattle in May/June. It's a bit of a challenge to say the least trying to relocate internationally, but we plan to hopefully end up in Queen Anne, Magnolia, followed by Wallingford/Phinney Ridge/Greenlake. Have heard absolutely wonderful things about the schools and vibe in these areas, as well as realistic commute for my husband to downtown. Would love input from people on any of the following areas:

1. Recommended preschools for our youngest---we hear Sweet Pea Cottage is great in QA. Any others in QA or Magnolia, especially with an arts/music focus?

2. Any housing leads looking for 3bed+ to rent or buy! Please feel free to message me!! We are lucky to initially have corporate housing for a month/two, but ideally want to find permanent solution by July and get truly settled!

3. Any important things to note differences between Coe, Hay, Magnolia elementary options and info on how the new elementary school in Magnolia will impact zoning?

4. Still trying to wrap my head around HCC program through SPS. Is it true that Cascadia/Hamilton/Garfield would be the track if we moved to these areas? Do many parents send their kids to local elementary and then do the HCC later for middle/high? Seems kind of far to send for little ones not sure if worth it if local elem is solid (as is case in QA and Magnolia). Testing is done in fall for next year? Would love input from people.

THANKS A MILLION!
Hi,

My eldest came through HCC. She was at Hamilton and now at Garfield. Yes, Cascadia/Hamilton/Garfield is the currently the track through Magnolia and QA. There is also the option of doing the IBX at Ingraham thru HCC. My nephew is now at Cascadia and very happy there. It's true many parents keep their kids at the neighborhood elementary school even if they test in. Once you test in you can access later (it is a little more complicated but no overly so). There are advanced opportunities at some neighborhood schools (Info here is for QA) for language arts and math (pull out enrichment). Kids can also accelerate a year ahead in math through walk to math. There is busing for Hamilton and it is pretty close being in Wallingford. There is a morning bus for Garfield but kids take city buses home. Testing is in the Fall (be proactive about it because we found it wasn't well advertised). If you arrive in the summer there is testing in July (also be proactive). Roger Daniels at Seattle Schools is a good person to contact with questions. If your kids are already in an accelerated program there is the potential to directly transfer in but they are very picky about what testing they accept. Garfield is the place for musical kids.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 PM

474 posts, read 1,458,022 times
FYI - If you move to Northeast Seattle, they're opening a new elementary HCC school next fall - Decatur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: