Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM

48 posts, read 40,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I've lived on Capitol Hill for 21 years. It's changed (and I've gotten older, which changes my perceptions). My impression is that it went from artsy/gay/bohemian to trustafarians, Amazon and tech workers, foreign rich kids in expensive cars and partying meatheads on the weekends. So it's definitely not as "cool" as it used to be. That said, there is still a lot to recommend about the neighborhood: location, transit, lots of amenities, walkability, legacy arts spaces, shopping. It also costs a small fortune and is littered with druggies/bums. (That part hasn't changed in the 21 years, except to maybe get slightly worse). It's also a lot more crowded now as they have built larger buildings in the last 10-15 years.

Which other neighborhoods are overhyped? South Lake Union, Belltown, Columbia City, imo.
GREAT insight, overall! That answers a lot of questions for me for what I expected vs what I saw in Capitol Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Looking back they were all pretty good 10 years before the explosion in population. Seattle was a gem before.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Hardly, I've spent enough time over in the "wonderful and artistic" West Seattle area, it's a dump, plain and simple.

Which PART of West Seattle? Admiral Dist? Gatewood? The Arroyos? The Junction?

Generalize much?

Am about to fly home and will be sure to enjoy my needle-free street anew when I get there.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
I've lived on Capitol Hill for 21 years. It's changed (and I've gotten older, which changes my perceptions). My impression is that it went from artsy/gay/bohemian to trustafarians, Amazon and tech workers, foreign rich kids in expensive cars and partying meatheads on the weekends. So it's definitely not as "cool" as it used to be. That said, there is still a lot to recommend about the neighborhood: location, transit, lots of amenities, walkability, legacy arts spaces, shopping. It also costs a small fortune and is littered with druggies/bums. (That part hasn't changed in the 21 years, except to maybe get slightly worse). It's also a lot more crowded now as they have built larger buildings in the last 10-15 years.

Which other neighborhoods are overhyped? South Lake Union, Belltown, Columbia City, imo.
I used to live in Cap Hill until last year. Literally everyone living in my building worked at Amazon or Microsoft, with the exception of my next door neighbor, who literally bragged about living off a trust fund.

Your description is so true.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM

1,348 posts, read 706,767 times
all of seattle is

Old 04-23-2017, 12:05 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
dav51, the Phinney Ridge neighborhood where we live is low key and pretty great. Stop by, I'll buy you a pint.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:04 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Ballard is definitely overhyped. It's in the middle of nowhere - it takes 30 minutes to get there from the freeway - there's no parking, the transit is late and over crowded, the restaurants are way over priced, and not that great. Shopping is a snooze-fest - overpriced crap, except for a few specialty shops that I go into maybe once every year or two. it takes two, sometimes three light switches to get through some intersections, because of the "road diet" and the corner extensions that wipe out the curb lane, so that cars turning right have to wait for the green signal, and then wait for all the pedestrians. Also, the cars behind the left-turning vehicle waiting for the pedestrians to finish are blocking all the cars behind it becasue that right curb lane is blocked. And it's getting worse!

Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Agreed Margaret, I'm going to second Central Ballard. Although the cool old buildings and shops of Ballard Ave have redeeming qualities, the explosion of apartment complexes in this part of town feels physically oppressive, has made traffic tough and is gentrifying that which was eclectic and funky right out of town. The rising commercial rents have made it tough on businesses here. I do still enjoy the Tractor Tavern for live music. There certainly is good food too, one of the acceptable byproducts of "progress".

I think it is important to note that there are other parts of Ballard. 24th Ave NW up near Tall Grass Bakery is a pretty neat, as is the area out Shilshole Ave by the locks, have to love Portage Bay for breaky.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
I love Portage Bay!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:22 AM

117 posts, read 143,388 times
Quote:
I've lived on Capitol Hill for 21 years. It's changed (and I've gotten older, which changes my perceptions). My impression is that it went from artsy/gay/bohemian to trustafarians, Amazon and tech workers, foreign rich kids in expensive cars and partying meatheads on the weekends.
It was the same 21 years ago. You just don't recognize today's hipsters as artsy/gay/bohemian but I'm sure that's what they will all tell you if you ask around. 41 years ago it was artsy/gay/bohemian hippie trust funders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area