Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:43 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
San Diego has one thing going for it, weather. Outside of that, Seattle has it beat in every category, especially with scenery. To be honest, if I want to go to swim in the beach I'd take a trip to South Florida.. San Diego water is still freezing.

Back to the topic of the post:
You know you're from the PNW when you advocate for a wall to be built on the border of Oregon rather than Mexico
No need for a wall - just barricades on the bridges over the Columbia, and border posts at the passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 05:27 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
When people pass you on the right on a one-lane country road, ride your a-- even when you are going the ridiculously slow and constantly changing speed limits, you are passed on the Hood Canal Bridge, you see cars upside-down in ditches for no apparent reason, and if someone is pissed off at their neighbor, they just jump on their bulldozer & knock the neighbor's house down

And if you comment on this weirdness on a public forum, you get a-- reamed by a bunch of statist zealots.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:09 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
What the HECK?
He's given up to for a rain bidet.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:40 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
Quote:
San Diego has one thing going for it, weather. Outside of that, Seattle has it beat in every category, especially with scenery. To be honest, if I want to go to swim in the beach I'd take a trip to South Florida.. San Diego water is still freezing.
Rotse, just curious, what particular attributes do you feel Seattle is superior at? I wouldn't expect SD to feel quite as "cosmopolitan" as Seattle, but a lot of people I talk to simply feel it is also a great city, but for other reasons.

Back on topic, I definitely felt like a PNWer today - By sitting in a massive traffic jam, due to I-90 reduced to 2 lanes. At least there's nice scenery to look at instead of the next car's bumper

Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Rotse, just curious, what particular attributes do you feel Seattle is superior at? I wouldn't expect SD to feel quite as "cosmopolitan" as Seattle, but a lot of people I talk to simply feel it is also a great city, but for other reasons.

Back on topic, I definitely felt like a PNWer today - By sitting in a massive traffic jam, due to I-90 reduced to 2 lanes. At least there's nice scenery to look at instead of the next car's bumper
Thankfully, in California there is no traffic.. Seattle's traffic sucks, but I actually don't believe it is significantly worse than other sprawled metros. I am yet to hear of Atlanta, Chicago, Austin, Los Angeles , Washington DC as not having serious traffic problems.

What is it better in? Well, being a Cascadian I appreciate the beauty of the surroundings, including nature, mountains, big trees, flowering plants, majestic water views with snow-capped mountains rising in the backdrop around the Sound.

I would argue Seattle has considerably nicer parks, not to mention 3 National Parks with some of the most grandiose scenery you could have outside of Switzerland. Yes, Southern California has the beach.. Whoopie doo. Freezing cold water and brown sandy beaches surrounded by small brown foothills with scraggly brush. For those of us who actually enjoying hiking around and have more fun doing other things in nature than surfing or drinking beer on the beach I'd say Seattle offers much more in outdoor activities even within the city limits.

San Diego as a town I am sure has a bit more resort appeal, but resort stuff is for tourists not for residents. You can only go to Sea World so many times and be exhilarated by seeing animals in oversized swimming pools.

Yeah, as far as the city is concerned, Seattle has much more cosmopolitan but also a more rustic neighborhood feel.

San Diego does have some good breweries I must admit though. They have made progress. San Diego probably has way better Mexican food. Most likely beaten by a million miles.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
He's given up to for a rain bidet.
No, seattleites are some of the least hygienic people I've ever been around. They have greasy hair, smell like dirt/must/mold, don't wash their clothes or themselves all that often, and tend to have massive amounts of halitosis, they also leave the house looking like this wearing dirty sweatpants and ripped t-shirts to restaurants and the movies.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
No, seattleites are some of the least hygienic people I've ever been around. They have greasy hair, smell like dirt/must/mold, don't wash their clothes or themselves all that often, and tend to have massive amounts of halitosis, they also leave the house looking like this wearing dirty sweatpants and ripped t-shirts to restaurants and the movies.
Jeez, ya gotta stop hanging around--wherever you'd been hanging around. Most ppl I know wash their hair frequently, bathe or shower daily, and change their clothes often.

I do see a lot of pajama bottoms worn in public, though. I'd love to see that fad go away...

Old 04-22-2017, 08:54 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Jeez, ya gotta stop hanging around--wherever you'd been hanging around. Most ppl I know wash their hair frequently, bathe or shower daily, and change their clothes often.

I do see a lot of pajama bottoms worn in public, though. I'd love to see that fad go away...

True story: Due to a lost bet, I had to go to the symphony last year @ Benaroya. The guy sitting next to us was wearing pajama bottoms, flip flops, and a sweatshirt that had previously served as a buffet for moths. I'm no fashionista, but even I was like what the hell. Just part of the area.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
True story: Due to a lost bet, I had to go to the symphony last year @ Benaroya. The guy sitting next to us was wearing pajama bottoms, flip flops, and a sweatshirt that had previously served as a buffet for moths. I'm no fashionista, but even I was like what the hell. Just part of the area.
OK, but if he didn't smell, then what is the offense?

I'll say that PNW has it's own style. Nobody is going to tell you what to wear. And most are accepting. However, there are some simple rules...shower, smell good, and do what you do. Not impossible, and certainly possible within these standards. A tux, or a tie, or even a suit is not required. If you need to be surrounded by such, then you are in the wrong city.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
San Diego as a town I am sure has a bit more resort appeal, but resort stuff is for tourists not for residents. You can only go to Sea World so many times and be exhilarated by seeing animals in oversized swimming pools.
San Diegans don't go to Sea World...tourists go there...like people from Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area