Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times

Advertisements

There's always going to be a subset of people that will be bashed. Human nature, I suppose. Even the natives here get bashed and blamed as well. I never really did like the Seattle Freeze being entirely blamed on the natives. There are tons of natives that are super friendly, smiley and welcoming. And honestly, with Seattle being 70% transplants, no one should really have that problem, lol. But there it is.

I can't really think of a IRL example of California bashing. Except maybe for one, but my aunt was talking about a specific family (don't know if they're actual natives) that moved to Seattle area from CA, who thought themselves as nouveau riche because they sold their CA home and realized for the amount they sold their former house, could buy 3 in Seattle. That happened in the 70s.

What's with all the San Diegans coming to WA? Lol. I have a SIL who's a Native San Diegan. She always dreamed of moving back to SD, but already come to acceptance it's not going to happen.

As for the tap water story, that's really weird. I won't drink tap water either. I must actually be a "Californian". Ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:34 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm from CA, and lived in Seattle for a couple of decades. I never ran into any disdain, or negative attitude of any kind, and I had several "native" Seattle friends. Maybe because I went to the UW, I wasn't really regarded as a transplant? None of the Seattle natives I've known has ever had a problem with California transplants to Seattle. From my perspective, the whole thing is a myth.
Glad that you haven't had any bad experiences w/natives here (And maybe being a UW student did help, as people from all over come to UW - perhaps it allowed you to meet the more welcoming/open natives as well). But there definitely are some "Anti-CA/transplant" natives here.

From a brief in-public conversation during a lunch break a few weeks ago..

Me: "The rain and grey is starting to really get to me this year. We haven't had enough sunny days"
Them: "Don't worry - it keeps the Californians away!"

Not sure if I was speaking w/another native, but I can only assume so.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:36 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
typically these descriptions describe oneself
serious reading comprehension issue methinks.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Bluefox. My original post was long, so it might have been easy to miss my point. I have nothing against people moving to California, and I never did. I was always attracted to people from elsewhere, US or the world, and I welcomed their fresh, new perspectives and way of life. I consciously chose not to mention immigration from outside the US, legal or illegal, because it wasn't relevant to my point, which was...

California bashing - some Washingtonians blaming people moving from California and changing their cities, increasing prices and density, for example. My point was this had happened in California decades ago by people moving to CA - including people from WA as well! - , and now that the transplants were tired of CA, they were moving to WA. My point was many native Californians are happy where they are, and if they're moving perhaps it's because they're being pushed out. So be careful blaming the Californians for the evils of what comes with too many people moving to your city because most of the people coming from CA were just passing through, did to California what is now being done to WA, and are actually from elsewhere.

That was what I was attempting to convey with my post.
I think I understand your point a little better, and yes it is easy to see all the California plates and think "those Californians are pushing up the prices here." But the thing is, when you say "too many people moving to your city" and "what is being done to WA", to me, it sounds like you are just talking about domestic population trends. While that is certainly part of it, it's not quite the same as it was in the 70s and 80s where it really was more domestic populations that were affecting the housing market. International immigration and investment is much higher now in terms of raw numbers, and adds a whole new dimension to the issue. This is true in both California and Washington. Washington is seeing it more acutely right now because it is seeing a net positive domestic AND international migration, compared to most other coastal cities which are seeing the latter but not the former. That makes it somewhat of a boom town. I think what I'm saying probably complements the point you are trying to make with regard to the misconceptions people have about what is causing housing prices to skyrocket, but as I said, we don't exist in a vacuum. Seattle's housing market is accessible to the whole world which magnifies the housing market appreciation.

One need look no further than our neighbor to the north, Vancouver, for an example of the housing disasters that unchecked foreign investment can cause.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
serious reading comprehension issue methinks.
Have you experience the so-called 'Seattle Freeze' yet?
Personally I never experienced it but I'm a thinking it has more to do with me than the people of a given city

Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 PM

511 posts, read 624,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I think I understand your point a little better, and yes it is easy to see all the California plates and think "those Californians are pushing up the prices here." But the thing is, when you say "too many people moving to your city" and "what is being done to WA", to me, it sounds like you are just talking about domestic population trends.
Exactly!

Quote:
While that is certainly part of it, it's not quite the same as it was in the 70s and 80s where it really was more domestic populations that were affecting the housing market.
That is true.

Quote:
International immigration and investment is much higher now in terms of raw numbers, and adds a whole new dimension to the issue. This is true in both California and Washington. Washington is seeing it more acutely right now because it is seeing a net positive domestic AND international migration, compared to most other coastal cities which are seeing the latter but not the former. That makes it somewhat of a boom town. I think what I'm saying probably complements the point you are trying to make with regard to the misconceptions people have about what is causing housing prices to skyrocket, but as I said, we don't exist in a vacuum. Seattle's housing market is accessible to the whole world which magnifies the housing market appreciation.

One need look no further than our neighbor to the north, Vancouver, for an example of the housing disasters that unchecked foreign investment can cause.
Ahhh, yes... very interesting points you're making. I actually started to write about Vancouver but took it out because it just confused my point, but now that you mention Vancouver, I'll agree with you wholeheartedly. It took the city far too long to create a law protecting the neighborhoods from this kind of foreign investment, and as soon as they did, sales decreased significantly (if what I read is correct). Now, I hope, pray, PRAY that Seattle learns from Vancouver's mistake on this issue and enacts laws to prevent this kind of investment.

I don't want to rub salt in wounds, but I drove down into Seattle yesterday, and I was saddened by all the new shiny buildings. I tend to hang out in the Roosevelt area when I go into the city, and it's changing significantly. I thought of this thread, and I thought of the Seattle natives, and I felt sad for them. I wonder if the core of what they're feeling is dismay. I felt dismayed yesterday.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:25 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
. What's with all the San Diegans coming to WA?
For the same reasons that Seattleites & Washingtonians on this forum complain about: it changed, and not for the better, and we were pushed out.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Have you experience the so-called 'Seattle Freeze' yet?
Personally I never experienced it but I'm a thinking it has more to do with me than the people of a given city
No. Just the opposite. My radar picks up on those petty people fairly quickly.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:13 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Job migration is somewhat the same - the job may change, or someone comes along as leader who doesn't like you, or your boss, and you've both got ta go. That happened to me in Arizona. Up to NE Nevada we went from there with our traveling Allied Healthcare circus.

Ya gotta go where the jobs are, so you move. You don't always want to, but, since you have to eat, you move to where that next job is.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:24 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
For the same reasons that Seattleites & Washingtonians on this forum complain about: it changed, and not for the better, and we were pushed out.
Do forgive me, I only meant to remark on how very well represented San Diegans are on here. I do get the why and can appreciate the sentiment.

My SIL, as I mentioned before, is a native SD, and she does post/share every now and then pictures of "Old" San Diego on FB. I never realized before San Diego has/had such beautiful architecture. I can only imagine how idyllic SD was, I'm sure like Seattle it once felt like a hidden gem that no one else caught onto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area