Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 4,382 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm just weighing my options of staying a hotel and the relative safety that brings but having to uber or can everywhere versus staying in an airbnb alone but having activities in walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 02:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solay75 View Post
I guess I'm just weighing my options of staying a hotel and the relative safety that brings but having to uber or can everywhere versus staying in an airbnb alone but having activities in walking distance.
I would think your cap hill location would be safe enough. Where is it? Oh, and btw, Northgate is way too far away to be taking a cab, or even uber. (and uber can't be assumed to be safe for women, anyway)

Old 04-29-2017, 02:22 PM

Both rooms were about $175/night and that's about the best rate I could find for the weekend I'm going and with good reviews of hotel. I'm just debating staying in an area where I'll have to uber or cab everywhere but with the relative safety that comes with staying in a hotel versus staying alone in an airbnb but with activities in waking distance. Sounds like Capitol Hill will be a better option, just need to be sensible about being out alone.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:23 PM

Sorry for the double post, it didn't look like it posted the last one

Old 04-29-2017, 03:01 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I stayed here last fall and found it to be a great location for getting around.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ashington.html

Old 04-29-2017, 03:27 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Capitol Hill, absolutely. It's fun, walkable to downtown and close to everything. Don't miss the excellent Seattle Japanese Garden closeby, here is the link: https://www.seattlejapanesegarden.org

Old 04-29-2017, 03:38 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
For Downtown: Green Tortoise Hostel ($38 for coed or female dorm) - weekday vacancies available (weekend might not be), so book soon. Kitty corner from Pike Place Market, so right in the middle of everything.

Area is pretty safe during the day and early evening. Use Uber or Lyft if going out (to a club or bar?) later at night. Otherwise, use public transit to get wherever you want to go. Get an ORCA card ($5) and put some money on it, either at the Sea-Tac Light Rail Station or online (https://orcacard.com/ERG-Seattle/getACard.do).

For more hostels (some with private rooms):

Seattle Hostels Listing - All Hostels in Seattle at Hostels.com

Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,709 times
Capitol Hill is the most lively and liberal area of Seattle fyi. So expect loudness, beggers, druggies, etc. Safe non the less, just it tends to have the more big city feel. That might be what you are going for.

Surprised you mentioned Northgate....just weird since it is kind of out of the way and not an area non Seattle folks know. It may seem close when looking at a map, but traffic sucks getting into downtown from Northgate, so during the worst times, an Uber ride may take 30mins to get the the heart of downtown.

Most outsiders agree that Seattle does not have the best public transportation, I honestly don't think it is terrible but I never lived in another big city. Uber is very popular and always available 7days a week 24hrs in Seattle. I think a ride from Downtown to Northgate for example will be about 8-14 dollars.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM

236 posts, read 289,240 times
I'd go with the air bnb in Capitol Hill. You'll be near more public transportation for getting around. It's also more central for uber rides.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
I once stayed at the Travel Lodge near Lake Union, only a few blocks from the Space Needle.

Pros:

* It was real cheap.

* Walking distance to the Space Needle, downtown, Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market, etc.

Cons:

* Walls are thin, so bring ear plugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: