Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agaace View Post
This thread is hilarious. Fact: Seattle drivers placed 184, at the very BOTTOM of the 200 biggest US cities, ranked from best drives to worst. You think why insurance is so high in here? Drivers have a collision here statistically once every 6.9 years.

I've been almost 10 years here and not in a collision yet, mostly because I learned to drive in Europe, so I drive defensively and more CA style, so "aggressive" by Seattle standards vs passive-aggresive aka "courteous" by Seattle standards. But I'm statistically SO SO overdue for getting killed. I commute 36 miles to work (roundtrip) and dangerous situations caused by left lane campers and everyone just casually passing on the right, traffic suddenly coming to a full stop in the faster lanes because some idiot doesn't know how to merge, lack of proper zipper merging technique causing back ups for miles, going 20 slower than the rest of the traffic in one of the faster lanes, not checking mirrors before changing lanes, not indicating when changing lanes or turning, waiting to change lanes in the last second with much lower speed so that I need to slam on brakes to not hit them, taking miles to pass, extreme indecisiveness, and so on, and so on.. Seattle reality, daily.

Report: Seattle drivers among the very worst in the nation | KOMO

I'm bookmarking this thread and will revive it in 2 years and ask AADAD if they still love it here and love the drivers. Cheers! lol
I really have to question that list (though not Boston and DC, they really do have bad drivers). I see LV and several cities in TN and GA placed very well, and man, driving through those towns are a lot more scarier than Seattle. TN and WA are roughly the same size, population wise, but I've seen more accidents in TN than in WA. The roadways fatalities are like 3-4x Wa's numbers. GA also has a high fatalities rate as well. It's a lot easier to do defensive and safe driving in Seattle than in the cities of TN/GA (and LV).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:12 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Well put agaace, can't say it isn't interesting out there. As you might imagine, I'm on the road often and really do feel like I'm in the middle of a poorly programmed video game. Good on you, with my east coast training, I've survived so far too.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:35 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Good luck to you. I put up with a three hour daily commute for 12 years. No more for me! 20 minute commute where I'm at now.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
On a difficult/rage/mean score 10 being worse

Seattle is a 2/3.

San Diego was 7/8 with an outbreak 10.

Takes me an hour to get home when the ferry lines up perfectly. Not bad.
I can live with it to live on an Island without state income tax and gorgeous views e v e r y where.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:09 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
On a difficult/rage/mean score 10 being worse

Seattle is a 2/3.

San Diego was 7/8 with an outbreak 10.

no

Old 07-14-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
no
is that a number?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
I go to SD twice per year, I think its a 8.5 to 9. They are maniacs out there on the freeways, I ride motorcycles or use to. I think I need a GSXR1000 to survive on 2 wheels down there. Getting tailgated at 75mph is possible or 80mph.

Not once did I see a CA patrol car doing its duties to give tickets to the nuts there.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I go to SD twice per year, I think its a 8.5 to 9. They are maniacs out there on the freeways, I ride motorcycles or use to. I think I need a GSXR1000 to survive on 2 wheels down there. Getting tailgated at 75mph is possible or 80mph.

Not once did I see a CA patrol car doing its duties to give tickets to the nuts there.
Word. One Saturday at 0600 on an empty road a passenger vehicle appeared about 400 years away ran up on my bumper passed me and jammed on his brakes. He started to get out of his car and I hit him with my PIAA lights. He could not see and I could not see his right hand. He got back into his vehicle, Clearly out of control if he had a weapon in that split second I'm not sure what I would have done but it would not have been pretty. Saturday morning 0600.

That my forum members in Seattle is the real San Diego.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM

64 posts, read 54,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Saturday at 0600 on an empty road
Were you in the left lane?

Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post

Yeah, in the Bay Area I just switched to a GSXR750 and went between the cars. Hammer, meet nail. I was never, not once, ticketed for any shenanigans in such situations. CHP are out to lunch. Problems came up, I got out of there like a bat out of hell ASAP. Best defense is a good offense, always-always-always.

Closest I recall to being yelled-at was an officer on-foot shouting at me to get off the sidewalk. That was downtown SF, onto the Bay Bridge (Harrison St., I believe), at about 5pm. Yeah, that was pretty hairy wall-to-wall cars: better do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area