Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 03:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times

Advertisements

AADAD,

I highly recommend you take a day trip to Deception Pass (hope you don't have a fear of heights )sometime in June/July when it's sunny and plenty warm, ideally not on the weekend as it gets really busy. Also the North Cascades in July/August for Ross Lake.

Deception:

Ross:

^the water there is glacial I believe, so it really is that intense blue/green in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:55 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
AADAD,

I highly recommend you take a day trip to Deception Pass (hope you don't have a fear of heights )sometime in June/July when it's sunny and plenty warm, ideally not on the weekend as it gets really busy. Also the North Cascades in July/August for Ross Lake.

Deception:

Ross:

^the water there is glacial I believe, so it really is that intense blue/green in person.
Thank you!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:10 PM

323 posts, read 448,843 times
Default Diablo and Ross Lakes

That's Diablo Lake, not Ross. It does get its color from glaciers. Ross' color is not special like Diablo. We haven't stayed at the floating resort, but we've done some fishing and camping on Ross. We've paid to load our boats and canoes on the flat bed at the bottom of Ross Dam and carried inflatables down from Highway 20.
Friends towing some of our stuff on Ross Lake, 1980:

Old 05-06-2017, 10:15 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'll address your quote and your odd intrusiveness. Not only did I not feel ok about San Diego but your assumption that you somehow know me (or anyone) enough to say what is best for them or how they might feel is UNWELCOME. Find something good to say about You and let us know rather than questioning others who you do not have a whit of truth about. k?
Super passive-aggressive, judgey and echo-chamber seeking.

Yup, you're home. You'll fit right in up there.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 PM

908 posts, read 961,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

i wouldn't even say it's passive-aggressive. just weirdly aggressive.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:19 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,716 times
Just left Seattle recently. My wife is from Santa Barbara, and I'm originally from San Antonio. We couldn't do the weather or the traffic. My Career has taken me to Atlanta GA, Golden CO, Boise ID, Seattle WA, and Now Prescott AZ.

Seattle was an awful existence for my wife and I, but I met quite a few transplants there that absolutely loved the place. I hope everything works out for you there. It sounds like you're loving it so far.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:22 PM

908 posts, read 961,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Just left Seattle recently. My wife is from Santa Barbara, and I'm originally from San Antonio. We couldn't do the weather or the traffic. My Career has taken me to Atlanta GA, Golden CO, Boise ID, Seattle WA, and Now Prescott AZ.

Seattle was an awful existence for my wife and I, but I met quite a few transplants there that absolutely loved the place. I hope everything works out for you there. It sounds like you're loving it so far.
so you left b/c of the weather and the traffic? anything else? i've been here a couple of years now and wonder how long i'll last. traffic doesn't bother me but this winter was brutal.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:07 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
That's Diablo Lake, not Ross. It does get its color from glaciers. Ross' color is not special like Diablo. We haven't stayed at the floating resort, but we've done some fishing and camping on Ross. We've paid to load our boats and canoes on the flat bed at the bottom of Ross Dam and carried inflatables down from Highway 20.
Friends towing some of our stuff on Ross Lake, 1980:
Right my mistake, been a few years. Either way, highly recommend in the summer, the water is unreal, almost looks like Kool-aid that'll have a blue cherry flavor.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
so you left b/c of the weather and the traffic? anything else? i've been here a couple of years now and wonder how long i'll last. traffic doesn't bother me but this winter was brutal.
I took a considerable pay cut to get out of the Pacific Northwest, as I could have gone to the Portland market and actually got a raise. I was offered a less stressful job in a less stressful environment for a lot less money here in AZ. It was a hard decision for me, but my wife pushed really hard to get us out of Seattle. So far, we are both very pleased with our decision.

For me, Seattle traffic was murder, as my job requires me to drive all over the place. I just got tired of ending my day at 4:30 and sometimes getting stuck for over an hour in traffic just to drive 15 miles back to the office or my house. I would say that in a typical day I spent at least 2 hours in traffic. I just couldn't take it. Seattle was worse than even Atlanta in that aspect. My wife, who is a restaurant manager, didn't even have to drive to work, so traffic wasn't a big deal for her. It was the weather that crushed her soul. While I hate overcast weather, I actually didn't mind the crappy summers in Seattle. To me it was a wash. No swimming or mowing the lawn with your shirt off, but also no brutal hot weather for months on end. It was the winter that beat me down. My wife hates Seattle weather period. She was in so much better of a mood this winter here in AZ compared to last winter in Seattle.

I also found Seattle to be annoying from a political perspective. While neither my wife or I are religious or what could be considered conservative, the extreme left wing loony politics in Seattle get old after a while. Activism is more about a lifestyle or personal hobby up there than actually fixing things.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:34 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
i wouldn't even say it's passive-aggressive. just weirdly aggressive.

We used to get these types from that area in deep south Texas where I came from . I lived on an island and our winter Texans came from Mich to Minnesota straight down to Texas. I am VERY familiar with this behavior .

As for Seattle itself , it's not really if you love it you love it anymore,, it's if you can AFFORD it you can afford it and love it . That is the way it is . The traffic and too many people CRAMMED into such a small space is literally making me sick .
I CAN make this last lease.. I CAN make this last lease .......

I have to have surgery on Thursday and am considering after that staying with my sister awhile in Sacramento or even going up to Sonora(Ca) where I have a close friend . Husband is not happy but I am just exhausted.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 05-07-2017 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: I CAN make this last lease ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area