Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 12:43 PM

35 posts, read 50,198 times

Advertisements

With food prices spiking daily, and the threat of a big quake on our shoulders, I don't think that community gardens are enough to provide food security for even a very small neighborhood. And let's face it, in an emergency outdoor gardens are going to be picked fairly quickly.

That's where individual apartments, or apartment buildings, can use indoor vertical gardens to pick up the slack - for every day, and in an emergency.

I'd like to volunteer with a Seattle nonprofit teaching and/or supporting indoor vertical gardening, particularly for the low-income population which, excepting the tech sector, looks to be pretty much everybody else. I've contacted the Seattle Permaculture Guild hoping they have connections, but it's always worthwhile tapping the collective wisdom of CD to see if any of y'all are into this?

Thank you for all/any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,295,169 times
Have you called Seattle Tilth? I bet they would have some good ideas, here is the link: Welcome to Tilth Alliance! — Tilth Alliance

Old 05-16-2017, 01:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,970 times
1.Without power indoor gardens die quickly, so IMHO forget the earthquake fantasy.
2. Indoor gardens create a lot of humidity, and can quickly cause mold problems, destroying the building, you likely do not own.!

Yes one can grow quite a bit vertically,. I produced 20 lb of lettuce a week in an 8 foot by 8 foot by 8 foot room.

With the latest technology, I still was close to 3000 watts worth of bulbs burning for 12 hours a day.

Can not compete with outdoor other than winter.

Pot forums have some very experienced growers and one can learn proper ventilation to reduce mold problems in buildings with grow tents and what not.

Good luck, I support anything that gets urban people involved in where their food comes from!

Old 05-16-2017, 01:54 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,666,260 times
Are you a gardener? I've been a casual community patch gardener for better part of a decade. Gardening, as most people have the time and interest for, is simply not going to cut it in everyday life or an emergency. I'm always surprised how many resources it takes to garden... renting the patch, building up soil with various amendments, seeds and starts, mulching and fertilizing.. and that's *before* the diseases, bugs and critters.. each of which require individual treatments.

I'm not saying gardening is ever a bad idea (I love it!). It's just the realities that many good Earthy types gloss over.

I would certainly NEVER depend on my garden patch in an emergency. And neither you or anybody else should either.

I have a month's worth of dried and canned food stored in my garage. I rotate bins every 1, 3, 6, 12 months. 1 month bin is mostly bread and tortillas, 3 month bin has things like crackers of various sorts, milk, chocolate, cereal. 6 month bin has oatmeal, more cereals, mac and cheese... 12 month bin has all the cans... beans, corn, peas, fruit and several canned meals like soups and pastas.

I try to use up what I can, but I also enjoy gifting extra items in my community groups.

I encourage EVERYONE to have at least a 10 day supply of food and water (we have three 55 gallon bins of treated water that supposedly last 5 years... still really hope I never have to drink it!). I have conducted interviews with emergency preparation professionals and they say, really, a full two weeks for a regional disaster like an earthquake. Keep in mind that you do live in the US. I have faith in our government to come to our aide.. maybe not immediately, but definitely within a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: