Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am going to school and need to choose between Monroe and Duvall. I hate rain! We get over three hundred days of sunshine here in Colorado and I am very happy but for one year I need to go to school in WA. I love the forested green look of Washington state but not the rain that makes it so. Is there less rain in either of these two locations or is it pretty much the same? Also can you let me know which town is more rural, friendly and down to earth? I am looking for the quieter of the two settings. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:16 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Monroe and Duvall have the same rain. BTW, it's not rain; it's drizzle, and it's the reason there's all that green that you want.
Both cities are "friendly and down to earth". To get "rural" you need to get just a bit past the edge of town in each.
Duvall is quieter.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if you plan to, instead of complaining, enjoy the year that you are choosing for your life-path? You are the one who will make your life fun. So use your power to love your choices and fill yourself with happiness!

Last edited by allforcats; 03-08-2008 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:18 PM

56 posts, read 238,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Monroe and Duvall have the same rain. BTW, it's not rain; it's drizzle, and it's the reason there's all that green that you want.
Both cities are "friendly and down to earth". To get "rural" you need to get just a bit past the edge of town in each.
Duvall is quieter.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if you plan to, instead of complaining, enjoy the year that you are choosing for your life-path? You are the one who will make your life fun. So use your power to love your choices and fill yourself with happiness!
I totally understand your feelings on the rain. That is why I moved out of Seattle after 10 years. Needed more sun :-) With that said, my vote is Duvall. I lived in Duvall before our move and it such a nice small town. It has everything you'll need. Monroe is way far out from everything plus Monroe is kind of hick! THey have prison there!! Plus lots of meth houses from my understanding.

I understnad you aren't complaining you are venting. Don't the comment above personally..I think thios person was to harsh to you. You are going into the spring & summer in Seattle which are the best parts of the year. Hopefully more clear days without the drizzle and gray skies. You know getting out in the rain makes you endure it better Maybe take up hiking or walking on all the beautiful trail systems.

Take care and best wishes!!

Hands down on Duvall - I wouldn't even look at Monroe as it can be a depressing little town.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
I have spent more time in Duvall than I have Monroe but I feel as if I've gotten a "feel" for both towns and I find them about equal on many levels - livability, weather, the kinds of people you see walking around, the shops, the food places, etc.

They both sort of have that same sort of low-key feeling to them and they both get a surprising amount of traffic going through them at certain times of the day yet are quiet as ghost towns during other times of the day. It's quite odd really.

Random note: The Laundry mat on main st in Duvall (next to the Pho noodle soup place...) is the most awesome place for washing your big bulky things that won't fit into your washer/dryer at home. And the tiny blond-haired lady who works there is the nicest lady ever! They do drop off service, too, at pretty reasonable prices. I just love that place.

OK - back on-topic:

The only difference I seemed to have noticed is that Duvall seems to have a bunch of new construction going on. Condo's, homes, businesses and shopping areas. Perhaps that is going on in Monroe, too, as it seems to be happening everywhere, and I have just not seen it.

Why Duvall or Monroe only? If you can go eastward - anything on the eastern side of the Cascades will give you more sun and warmth during the Summer - but more cold and snow during the winter. Similar to Colorado, I think. (My sister lives in Colorado Springs and her weather always seems to be similar to what's going on in OR and WA east of the Cascades...)

Get yourself a nice outer shell / waterproof jacket with a hood or a funky umbrella and just ignore the drizzle. Keep a warm re-usable mug with you full of hot water with a slice or two of lemon in it (lemon perks you up and citrus is a positive scent) or your favorite hot drink - yummy fresh pressed apple cider or chai or something - to keep you warm and happy... That's what I'm learning to do. I'm from Texas!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM

56 posts, read 238,757 times
Okay! I have lived in Duvall for 3 years and I would never say it is on par with Monroe. Duvall is much nicer all around. They aren't even comparable. In terms on traffic going through Duvall, yes, at 5 o'clock you traffic coming through to get to Monroe but is minimum that you don't notice unless you are driving to Monroe.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times
I have lived in Duvall since the mid 80's and have seen a lot of change...a lot of growth! Duvall isn't what it was when I moved here, there isn't much of a sense of community anymore, at least not like it used to be.

One thing that I have noticed is that most of the people that have lived here fro many year shop at Family Grocer, most of the newer people shop at Safeway. Family Grocer may be a bit more expensive on some things, but I believe they have better produce and meat.

Monroe isn't that bad, it really isn't. I've not heard a lot about meth houses there, but I suppose it's possible. Monroe certainly has a different demographic than Duvall, but I wouldn't call them "hicks"!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tialily View Post
Hi,
I am going to school and need to choose between Monroe and Duvall. I hate rain! We get over three hundred days of sunshine here in Colorado and I am very happy but for one year I need to go to school in WA. I love the forested green look of Washington state but not the rain that makes it so. Is there less rain in either of these two locations or is it pretty much the same? Also can you let me know which town is more rural, friendly and down to earth? I am looking for the quieter of the two settings. Thanks for your help!
I feel your pain about living west of the Cascades. I did it for 8 months and it was the worst time of life. Here are some tips to help you make it through with going insane.

If you get a sunny, warm day. Get outside. Do something that puts you in the sunshine. Being a student you will have much more flexibility than someone with a job. After living in Colorado you will think..Oh, I will get outside tomorrow. Well, it is likely to be raining tomorrow.

Find a indoor swimming pool and do lap swims. The high humidity, warm environment of an indoor pool is not a substitute for sunshine, but it will get that bone chilling damp cold out of your body.

Get a place with lots of windows. Pay whatever it takes. Lots of glass so even when your inside you still get lots of light. On the same note do not get a place with lots of trees all around. If you have a place to put it...I would get a small portable greenhouse to sit during the day.

Summers are bad in western Washington, but winters are much, much worse. Plan on winter vacations somewhere warm and sunny.

Eastern Washington gets as much sunshine as western Washington gets rain. So we do not have the problems with green slimy moldy stuff. I'm not sure why they call Washington the Evergreen State since most of it is usually brown!!!

Highway 2 to eastern Washington is usually bumper to bumper with folks from western Washington traveling to eastern Washington to get out of the rain. Weekends are the worse. If you can get away to the eastside of the state during the week, it will be much easier traveling, particularly on the return trip when it is likely that you will be parked for some of the time. Y

You need to travel all the way to the Columbia River to be assured of sunny skies. Bookmart the National Weather Service out of Spokane and check them frequently for weather updates. Also look at the satellite images.

If your not into exploration you might want to find a nice campground or place to stay in eastern Washington where you can enjoy the weather. As a student you probably cannot buy a second home, but to give you an indication of how bad the weather is in western Washington....half the homes in Okanogan County are owned by people in western Washington!!

I think your right to be concerned about the weather...but if you take precautions and go in with the mindset that it is only for one year you can probably survive.

When life gives you lemons....you better figure out how to make lemonade.

Don't waste a year of your life being miserable because of the weather. Hope the education is worth the pain of living over there.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Summers are bad in western Washington, but winters are much, much worse. Plan on winter vacations somewhere warm and sunny.
hahahaha summers are bad???? Are you OK???

Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
hahahaha summers are bad???? Are you OK???
WOW-------such interesting comments. Their are not alot of meth labs in Monroe and other than their traffic, I think it is a nice place. I have friends there and they really like it. It is a nice clean area. Duval has a different feel. Both places are growing like mad and I do not think you could go wrong with either. Please do not take much stock in some of the negative comments. As for the weather, no sun and lots of rain. Their is alot of beauty however, so enjoy that and your stay. You will have fun. The summers can be nice and very pleasant just short for us sun starved people.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tialily View Post
Hi,
Hi---when we retire, we are moving to Colorado----I love the sunnnnnnnnnnn and hate Washington grayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. However, it is very beautiful here so enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area