Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with government taxing things that are undeniably harmful to consume:

- alcohol
- tobacco
- sugar
- fossil fuel (to burn in cars)

IMO we should tax all that stuff heavily. Gasoline, for example, should be taxed much more heavily than it is today, in order to get more people out of their cars and using public transport/carpooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
You've made many excellent points Rotse! Government is always seeking new and creative ways to relieve us of our money. No one should welcome a tax that leaves them with less in their pockets, with the implication that nanny Government knows best.

Granted, Seattle is moving down this slippery slope faster than many parts of the country. Portland is not far behind and Thurston county where I live, has it's own silliness, including a bag tax and pocket gophers.

Anyway, you're right, this is only the start of it, and maybe Government is putting out feelers to determine how this tax is received. If people choose to make a fuss and complain loudly, the upcoming cheeseburger tax may be put off indefinitely. I have a feeling that most people will say nothing and an onslaught of new, similar taxes will be in our future. Maybe now is a good time to stock up on Hecho En Mexico cokes.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Yes, it is. And what scares me is that Portland will likely try to attempt the same damn thing, as it often thinks it needs it keep up with Big Sister. This is intrusion at its best. Even California - a state that likes to rape its people - hasn't pulled this stunt yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I have no problem with government taxing things that are undeniably harmful to consume:

- alcohol
- tobacco
- sugar

IMO we should tax all that stuff heavily. Gasoline, for example, should be taxed much more heavily than it is today, in order to get more people out of their cars and using public transport/carpooling.

Gas already is taxed quite heavily, especially here and in CA.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:54 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

- alcohol
- tobacco
- sugar

Then they'd have to improve/increase transit service. How likely is that to happen? Buses running more frequently, more cross-town routes, etc.?

Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:

- alcohol
- tobacco
- sugar

IMO we should tax all that stuff heavily. Gasoline, for example, should be taxed much more heavily than it is today, in order to get more people out of their cars and using public transport/carpooling or electric cars.
Hope you don't mind me adding on.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Gas already is taxed quite heavily, especially here and in CA.
I mean we should tax gasoline at European levels. And then of course build the kind of transit systems that they have.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then they'd have to improve/increase transit service. How likely is that to happen? Buses running more frequently, more cross-town routes, etc.?
Transit's getting better all the time. I love the light rail and cannot wait for all the new lines to be added, especially those to Bellevue (2023) and Redmond (2024). There are lots of cross-town bus routes. I never drive into Seattle, and so far the buses and light rail have gotten me everywhere i wanted to go.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Hope you don't mind me adding on.
Electric cars are OK, but they still take up space on the roads. The more people get out of their cars and into mass transit, the easier it will be to get around.

I've lived in cities where people just don't drive into or around the city centers if they can possibly help it. The practical thing in London or Dublin is to take the bus, light rail, commuter train, or some other form of public transport to move into or around the city center.

We could have that, too. All we need to do is pay the taxes and build the infrastructure. Seattle's already taken baby steps in that direction.

Back to the sugar tax, though...nobody needs to be drinking sugar water. it's terrible for your health. The higher the taxes, the better, IMO. If it takes high taxes on every container to make people realize how bad that stuff is, so be it.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
Trust me, ppl already do know about sugar. Taxes are about money, not info. I dislike this sort of thing. Planning to get my seatbelt buzzer deactivated. Yes, I know it's illegal to not wear it and yes, I wear it. But not interested in car companies telling me what to do. This ties in because I feel there is too much of this.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
By the way, most new cars today will run the seat belt buzzer for about 1 minute, but then turn it off. I don't recommend not wearing seat belts, but the car companies don't require you to wear seat belts. The State does. And there are still some that treat this infraction as a secondary offense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_b..._United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area