Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 AM

547 posts, read 506,597 times

Advertisements

Tin foil hat? Nope.
Seattle wants to tax you. They love it when you roll over and say ooooookkkkkk, what can you do?
One day you'll wake up and say why is our city government so big? Where is all that money going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Tin foil hat? Nope.
Seattle wants to tax you. They love it when you roll over and say ooooookkkkkk, what can you do?
One day you'll wake up and say why is our city government so big? Where is all that money going?
How dare you question the all-seeing, all-knowing mommy government? You, a mere commoner.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 AM

547 posts, read 506,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
How dare you question the all-seeing, all-knowing mommy government? You, a mere commoner.
I am more than a commoner.
I am a recipient.
I'm glad the city is taxing the crap out of its citizens so I can collect a good wage and a pension.
Keep it coming. I and hundreds of others thank you for your support.
And its even better now that the kids are involved in paying a soda tax.
Maybe we could tax their bicycles too.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Maybe we could tax their bicycles too.
Don't give them another reason to indulge n their favorite hobby...protesting

Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Let them drink milk!

Actually, that is a big part of the issue - soda is cheaper than milk. This is one case where market forces have a perverse effect.

Quote:
Looking at the prices of soda in 1,743 supermarkets across the country, researchers from Drexel’s Dornsife School of Public Health found that, on average, milk cost 160 percent more per fluid ounce than soda.
All this does is make profits for Coke, Pepsi, etc. The eventual costs, from exploding rates of diabetes and obesity, especially among children and young people, are passed on to the tax payer.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:27 AM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Here are a few ideas:

Don't buy it (you can simultaneously stick it to "the Man" AND be a little healthier!)

Drive to the nearest Mega Mart that isn't in Seattle and load up on the rubbish. You could even rent a U-Haul, stock up and sell to all of your friends and neighbors back in Seattle! Tax free!

Or.... if you are really that butt hurt over this, maybe move to a city or town without a tax like this?

Old 06-14-2017, 04:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
I have the occasional soda. Because I like it.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:00 PM

44 posts, read 55,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
....Annnd out comes the tinfoil hat brigade. Right on schedule.
So people who disagree with you are crazy? Got it.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:13 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
The Speakeasy movement will be re-ignited.. Now we will have places selling untaxed soda and every variety you can dream. The prices of soda will be so high, most likely, many stores will pull them from their shelves as they cannot stock an item that doesn't sell good. Especially, since the tax is so high and sodas are not perishable, people will just go to the nearest Costco or market in Shoreline or Burien.

I want to tell all the soda hustlers to be careful. The city of New York had a very strict policy about taxing cigarettes and a guy was smuggling cigarettes into New York from out of the city and selling discounted and untaxed cigarettes. The NYPD beat the guy up and strangled him to death as a result of what he was doing. I am sure in Seattle we will see similar incidences. Although, the NYPD is way more thug-like than the Seattle PD. Still, don't get between a politician and his/her money. I wouldn't doubt the city of Seattle will authorize beatings and arrests of people selling non-taxed soda on the street. And believe me, with a tax like this, it will happen. As many people, especially without cars, are not going to want to take trips out of town to get their non-taxed soda.

NYPD Kill Man For Selling Untaxed Cigarettes

Last edited by RotseCherut; 06-17-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
OK... OK, I was only joking about running the Seattle Soda Blockade!! PLEASE don't snitch me out!! I don't want to be sent to a "Re-Education Camp" by our friendly comrades within the Politburo of the People's Republic of Seattle or shot by a "Commissar" of their newly formed "Bureau of Soda Enforcement" for the illegal possession/distribution of an unregistered Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Orange Crush or Dr. Pepper!!

After consulting with my crystal ball, our Coco Puffs, Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes will be next on the "hit list." I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

To be honest, it's pretty sad to see Seattle, my place of birth and where I grew up, is now heading towards. If Seattle REALLY wanted to make a positive change and improve the lives of people living in the city, why don't they tackle the Heroin/Meth problem and the homeless issue? I guess it's far easier for the city counsel members to "claim" a victory and to high-five each other in front of the cameras for adding a sin-tax on sodas, while not doing a dang thing about the real and immediate issues/threats that are seriously lowering the quality of life within this once great city.

I could be wrong, but I believe that more people's lives are destroyed by using heroin or meth than drinking a sugary soda twice a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area