Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 AM

994 posts, read 1,057,393 times

Advertisements

Hello all you West coast birds,

I may be in the running for a transfer to Bellevue from New York (Manhattan) and wanted to hear some thoughts from people that made the move or locals too.

Im single, male, have a cat, and a suitcase LOL I live I'm subletting a room in a decrepit pre-war where the floor is more slanted than a non ADA ramp in Central Harlem (locals know what Im talking about) right now but would hope for a 1 bedroom is a brand spanking new building in a Upper West side type neighborhood Assuming Im prepared to pay more for the apartment /gigabit internet (dork ) and less for extra curricular activities, how good would I be if I got 65k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 12:16 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
My relatives live 82nd and CPW, I know of what you speak. Manhattan to Bellevue is a long distance, in more ways than one. I imagine you like Manhattan, at least parts of it. The only place that will give you a somewhat similar feel is Seattle downtown or in the Pike/Pine area (better, actually). I guess Bellevue Downtown would work, wouldn't have the eclectic factor that many love about NYC. $65K for salary is tough out here, especially if you want a new building. $100K would be better, I am master of the obvious . Happy move if you come out this way!

Old 06-13-2017, 12:41 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Use to live/work in Brooklyn and Manhattan. $65Ks is tough out here but many making less are making it here... Hopefully, there is a bonus and/or overtime available at your new job.

Living downtown is now super crazy expensive in both Seattle or Belleview since all the tech workers have driven up the cost of rent. Since it appears that you don't have a car, you'll need to find something close to a bus line. I would recommend Renton, WA as a place to look at since there are many apartment complexes in that area with many of them being built in the 80s/90s and up. Rent at this point, is semi reasonable, but climbing.

If possible, after you do your research on the cost of living in this area, approach your boss with the facts of the COL out here and see if they're willing to up your pay by $10K to $15Ks yearly to make this transition more reasonable.

Good luck!!

Old 06-13-2017, 01:20 PM

513 posts, read 499,454 times
I wouldn't plan on an Upper West Side type place on 65k, but you can find something. You're used to paying a lot for rent, you shouldn't have sticker shock.

Plan on bemoaning the bagels, pizzas and public transit in Seattle though! Also, oddly there are a lot more street people and drug zombies here, though if you stay in Bellevue that won't be much of a problem, they all gravitate over to Seattle where the services and permissive police are.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Bellevue is the best part of WA, so if you can swing it, definitely do it.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There are brand new high rise apartments available now in Belltown that you should be able to afford on your potential pay. Some go up to $5,000/month but that's high up with great views and more space, studios down low are under $2,000.

Helios Apartments: Now Leasing in Downtown Seattle | EquityApartments.com

Via6 | Apartments for Rent in Seattle

Old 06-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Wow, ok - so I didn't want to be that guy who gets flamed for asking a dumb question, but according to the Cost of Living Index comparison, Bellevue area is 38% less expensive than Manhattan area so they had me needing 48k to maintain the same lifestyle LOL Where do they get this information? I am so glad I asked!

So I need 100k huh? Dont think I'll get quite that high, but I think I could ask for maybe 10k more. I work really hard

Im basically looking for a neighborhood that resembles /feels like upper west side (homesinseattle and bergun know what I'm talking about - city clean, not surburb clean haha) and an apartment that looks like one from Downtown Brooklyn (modern)

I see that Washington doesn't have state tax? That's insane. That alone is a bump in pay. I pay state AND city now LOL

I'll need to be East of the 405 and South of RT520 for work, so any place that resembles /feels like Upper west side near there?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Nah Manner, nothing really like that on the Eastside. Bellevue is very much "suburb clean", although it certainly has a vibrant downtown with lots to do (nicest mall in the state, high end restaurants and cocktail lounges/piano bars).

Again, the Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill in Seattle is probably very much what you seek, my NYC born wife says it reminds her the most of NYC in Seattle. Check the commuting options from there. In a nutshell, Bellevue and the Eastside feel quite different than the Seattle side. You really should come out and see before making decisions.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 06-13-2017 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,370 times
As a single male, I *WOULD NOT* trade New York for Seattle. You do know Seattle is arguably one of the worst cities for single men right?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Nah Manner, nothing really like that on the Eastside. Bellevue is very much "suburb clean", although it certainly has a vibrant downtown with lots to do (nicest mall in the state, high end restaurants and cocktail lounges/piano bars).

Again, the Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill in Seattle is probably very much what you seek, my NYC born wife says it reminds her the most of NYC in Seattle. Check the commuting options from there. In a nutshell, Bellevue and the Eastside feel quite different than the Seattle side. You really should come out and see before making decisions.
Ok, let me research that area and I'll post what I find for some thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
As a single male, I *WOULD NOT* trade New York for Seattle. You do know Seattle is arguably one of the worst cities for single men right?
ahaha, Oh man, that could be a dealbreaker. It's all about the ladies, am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area